How Long Before Exercising?

Cindy C.
on 6/9/09 7:54 am
It's been 6 weeks since my TT, BL, BA, and mini arm lift.  It is ok to start lifting light weights to tone my arms and doing exercises like crunches on the physio ball, and leg exercises in the gym?  Should I wear my binder while exercising?

How long did YOU wait to do different exercises?

Cindy

Height 5' 1"   WLS on 12/05/07      Plastics on 04/27/09                                 

MelissaF
on 6/9/09 8:37 am - Northwood, IA
Hi Cindy!!

Be sure you ask your surgeon first and foremost for his postop protocol on exericse.  I am cleared for everything at 6 weeks out.  I just went to the gym for the first time today.  It actually went well but I was nervous.  My second love to my husband is the gym (no lie!) and well it is hard for me to go and be "conservative" as I run several miles and lift heavy weights etc preop.  

I did 10 mins on elliptical type machine, 10 mins running on treadmill, 20 mins weight lifting and lunges using no weights.  I used lighter weights to "ease" into it.  MAN O MAN did it feel great and other than running (lots of pressure on the back incision NOT on the front at all so a TT I think you would be fine!) went great!  

Hope this helps!
Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

RNY- 12/04/06 with Dr. Matt Glasock

LBL - 4/28/09 with Dr. Rene Recinos

Cindy C.
on 6/9/09 8:56 am
Thanks Melissa!

I can't wait to get back to exercising.  I'm an accountant and during tax season all I got to do was the elliptical at the office.  I had my plastics right after tax season so it has been wayyyy too long since I've really exercised.  I'm excited.  I go back to my surgeon on Friday for my 6 week followup.  I hope he agrees that I can get my life back to normal.

Cindy

BigCityGirl
on 6/9/09 11:35 am - San Diego, CA
I would not do crunches for a long long time if I were you.  I waited nearly four months before I did any ab work.  Those internal stitches could come apart.  I sure would not want to tempt fate.  And you know, if you had muscle tightening, why do you need crunches?  that surgery is like a million crunches!  I'd chill on that stuff for a while.  And I think it's a tad early on the weight lifting for your brac work.  I would wait at least another month.  I didn't lift until four months - but I had a slight wound separation which had to heal.  I was out of my binder at six weeks.

I would phone your surgeon and get his advice.
Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
Cindy C.
on 6/10/09 5:08 am
I had a small separation in the incision under one of my breast.  It just closed up completely early last week.  I'd hate to think of it coming open again.  I want so badly to heal and feel normal again.  I guess you're right about the crunches.  In my head, I'm so afraid of not exercising like I was.  I so afraid of "going backwards".

Right now, my main concern is my upper legs.  They're getting saggy.  They were great till just a few months ago.  The surgeon didn't think it was a good idea to do a thigh lift.  He said to work on toning them like I had prior to tax season.  Sooo, I got on the elliptical today.  I only stayed for 20 minutes.  It felt GREAT!  My calves hurt a little for about the first 5 minutes and then I could feel the workout more in my upper legs.  I hope it does some good.  Soon.

Cindy

Most Active