asking the experts........

MelissaF
on 6/10/09 8:10 am - Northwood, IA
Hi! I had a LBL on 4/28 that includes a TT - however I am cut all the way around my body so my answers may not be as pertinent but I will give it a shot.

1.How long were you in excrutiating pain?

Only time I was in what I would consider more severe pain was getting out of bed for the first few times and when my nerves woke up at 2.5 weeks postop.. that lasted 36 hours and then subsided.  But I was able to handle it - obviously.  I did call for more pain meds with the nerve pain but it didn't help much.

2. When did you start to feel "normal"?

5 weeks out for energy, edurance an stanima, still had some soreness of course but not much.

3. When were you able to get a full night of sleep?

I slept great the first night actually. Sleep was never a problem for me! I did take 1/2 of a valium at night with my lortab.

4. When were you able to wear real pants?( you know, jeans, and pants     with none stretchy waistbands)

Not yet comfortably b/c of incisions along hips and back. Soon I hope.

5.Right after surgery, how long did it take you to walk around and do normal chores, shopping, etc..

I attempted at 2-3 weeks out to go to the grocery store.. WOW, I had to lay down and take a nap .  No LIE!  I am a runner before surgery so it goes to show how much this surgery did take the wind out of my sails but I was in OR for 7 hours and in recovery for another 2.5 hours.  It wasn't a simple one.  At 5 weeks out I was no longer having my body force me back down on the couch, if that helps. I was on a 6 lb weight restriction my entire leave - 6 weeks as of this past monday.  So I didn't do much more than load and unload dishwasher and carry very small loads of laundry up and down the stairs or take dogs for a short walk.

6. When were you able to wear a real bra, how about underwires?

I didn't have breast work so I will say "not applicable here". =O) I *want* upper body boobs done BAD, too expensive for me at this point and time right after LBL.  So glad u are getting this done!

7. Did your clothes fit afterwards?, or did you need to buy a bigger size because of the swelling?

Clothes were big from jump street.  Still have some swelling but went into surgery weighing 144 wearing a size 4/6 pants, small tops mostly, a few mediums depending on cut.  Came out weighing 149 I think even with 7 lbs removed (fluid!!) and now down to 133.  I was told it can take months before real size is reflected to wait to buy clothes for several months.

8. Lastly,(for now anyway), When were you able to feel like you hadn't gone through any surgery at  all?

I feel good now but I know I have had surgery.  But I feel really good at 6  weeks out, really good.
Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

RNY- 12/04/06 with Dr. Matt Glasock

LBL - 4/28/09 with Dr. Rene Recinos

Jessie-F
on 6/10/09 10:32 am
Thanks so much Melissa. Every answer helps. Now tell me... the nerve pain you mentioned, is that what they call the "zingers"? Whats that about!???
MelissaF
on 6/10/09 1:26 pm - Northwood, IA
I referred to it as "zingers" b/c it felt like little "zings" as my nerves were waking up.  You are mostly numb after surgery and eventually the nerve endings start regenerating and coming back to life. It was something I just wasn't prepared for even being a nurse... it like hit me and I was like OWWW,  I posted about it and even called my doc for more pain meds but narcotics do not provide much relief for nerve pain unfortunately.  The good thing is it was very short lived for me.. about 36 hours.  Everyone else I have talked to didn't seem to have ALL their nerve endings wake up at once.  For the most part they did for me other than my belly button and partially on my hips and buttocks... everything is now very much alive.  
Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

RNY- 12/04/06 with Dr. Matt Glasock

LBL - 4/28/09 with Dr. Rene Recinos

Shirley H.
on 6/10/09 11:30 am - Bradenton, FL
hello I had surgery panni and hernia repair 2 weeks tomorrow so I can only answer a fewquestions but I have been through 7 other surgery's before this one and this is bad like 10 times what I exspected!  I am still in pain not like pain I can't live with but pain that I still take at least 3 to 4 pain pills a day Lortab ..... sleep well I have to sleep with my legs bent so I am not good in bed  I would rather sleep in my recliner but DH wants me in bed close by some one.
my binder is the worst part it itches soooooooo bad! but everyone is different! good luck!
Shirley
Most Active