Blood Pressure Medication (Toprol-XL) and Surgery

sueinge
on 6/8/09 1:29 am

I have been taking blood pressure medication for years, but have recently read that you may have to stop taking blood pressure meds before surgery.  Has anyone had to do this or switch to a different medication before undergoing surgery?   Thanks!!

Redhaired
on 6/8/09 4:49 am - Mouseville, FL
You should discuss your medications with your surgeon.  There may be some medications that you should not take a day or so before surgery and generally they do not want you to take aspirin in the 5-10 days prior.  There are also some vitamins and supplements that effect clotting, you may be asked not to take right before surgery.  But your surgeon should advise you on all of this.  But if someone has not contacted you to go over your meds by at least one -two weeks before surgery you need to call your surgeons office and get your instructions.

Red

sueinge
on 6/8/09 6:42 am
Thanks, Red!  I appreciate your post.  I notice you live in FL, I do too!
sueinge
on 6/8/09 7:19 am
Red,
I noticed in another post that you used Dr. Albear in Wesley Chapel.  I have a consultation with him in a few weeks for a TT and BL!   I am glad to see someone used him and recommended him!!!
Redhaired
on 6/8/09 7:39 am - Mouseville, FL
I think Dr. Albear is the bee's knees.  The man is an artist!  He will be doing my brow lift and upper/lower belpharoplasty latter this month.  When you see him tell him Red from the VA says hey!! 

If there is anything you would like to know just let me know.  You can send me a PM anytime.

Red

sueinge
on 6/8/09 8:04 am
Great!!!  Thanks Red!
(deactivated member)
on 6/9/09 2:09 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Ask your Dr but from my experience with MANY surgeries (not just plastics) I was always told to take my meds the morning of surgery.  It's other supplements some types of meds that need to be avoided before surgery.  Some you have to stop at least 2 weeks prior so you really need to talk to your Dr about it.

Best wishes
Ruth
Most Active