More LBL post-op questions

DS Facts
on 6/8/09 9:44 am
I found my surgeon and my LBL/hernia repair is booked for Sept 24th. I just have a few quick questions for those post-op LBL patients:

1) where/how did you sleep?
- on your back?
- elevated with pillows?
- in a recliner?

2) how long did you need assistance? I live on my own and am not sure how long I will need to stay with family. I know I will have 4 drains for 10-14 days. I am having anchor cut TT and circumferential LBL. I know I will need help with dressing the incisions at the back.

3) I have been reading the forums and have seen toilet lift mentioned a few times. How many people used these post op? I am just wondering if it is really worth it.

Thanks so much I appreciate the feedback.

Bev
BigCityGirl
on 6/8/09 10:30 am - San Diego, CA
I slept in a recliner for two weeks until my last drain was removed.  I needed help for the first two days - mostly for stuff like feeding the cats.  You cannot bend over for a few days.  I don't understand why you would think you need to dress incisions on the back?  Unless you have a complication like a wound separation, you need do nothing with incisions.  I didn't "dress" anything with my LBL. 

I put a pillow under my knees when I slept on my back in the recliner. 
Good luck.
Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
DEBI R.
on 6/8/09 6:18 pm, edited 6/8/09 6:19 pm - CORSICANA, TX

I inherited my grandmothers lift chair and that's what I used for the first 2 weeks because I have a 4 poster bed that is really high and I knew I couldn't get up on it.

My husband took the week off and helped me out. I just needed help the first couple of days but I did need him to help change my dressings for about 10 days until I switched to a white T-shirt and didn't have to wear the dressings anymore.

I bought a raised toilet seat at Walmart for about $22 and used it for several weeks I would definately recommmed using one with the LBL.

Good luck with your surgery it will be Sept 24th before you know
it.  Debi

I had 6 drains for 11 days so I really couldn't sleep in the bed anyways.

You might want to ask your surgeon about switching to a white T-shirt and putting your binder over it (your binder will cause your tummy to itch) and that way you won't have to wear any dressings. I know I saved alot of money not buying gauze, tefa pads and tape after I switched.

____debi__________200.jpg image by tunie_2006 item11.jpg image by tunie_2006      

minuature pinscher 

DS Facts
on 6/9/09 1:25 pm, edited 6/9/09 1:25 pm
Thanks a great idea about the t-shirt because when I had my DS I had a reaction to the binder (which you reminded me of!) and my skin was very red and irritated.

Bev
DEBI R.
on 6/10/09 3:35 am - CORSICANA, TX
Your welcome. I bought a couple mens white t-shirts that were long and wore them as a gown with my binder over it and bought some regular white t-shirts to wear under clothes. Debi

____debi__________200.jpg image by tunie_2006 item11.jpg image by tunie_2006      

minuature pinscher 

Redhaired
on 6/8/09 10:47 pm - Mouseville, FL
I had my lower body lift in two surgeries, but I did not need a toilet riser for either surgery.  I slept in bed after both surgeries, generally on my back. 

Red

Most Active