plastic surgery after GBS

msnikky
on 6/9/09 12:07 am - Newark, DE
I was looking through some of the before and after pictures. Some people mention plastic surgery. I have not discussed that with my doctor. I am about 3 months from my surgery. I'm still going through the pre op testing. Is platic surgery something that every one gets after bariatric surgery. Is that something that most insurance companies cover? How does that normally work? It seems like almost everyone that has bariatric surgery is getting plastic surgery afterwards. How long after surgery do most people consider getting plastic surgery?

BigCityGirl
on 6/9/09 1:27 am - San Diego, CA
First of all, it is way too early to be contemplating plastics.  You need to focus on your WLS and changing your lifestyle through proper eating and exercise so that you will be able to maintain your weight loss once you reach your goal.  The first six months following your WLS are the best opportunity you will ever have to take the weight off easily - after that it becomes difficult just like any other diet.  Make sure you make the most of that time.

As for plastic surgery, depending on your age, your weight loss and how long you were obese, etc these factors will determine the condition of your skin following massive weight loss.  Insurance companies do not cover most plastics - sometimes they cover the abdominal work like a Tummy Tuck but rarely the other things like leg, arm and breast work.  Most plastic surgeons will work on you after you have reached a stabilization weight for six months - for me that was 15 months AFTER WLS.

Good luck and stay focused on the main target - your weight loss!!
Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
msnikky
on 6/9/09 2:39 am - Newark, DE
Well let me say thanks for the information. I know I need to focus on the the surgery. I don't think I will need to have the plastic surgery after weight loss. I haven't been on here that long and I haven't spoken to too many people about the whole thing. I know a lot about the before surgey stuff, but the after surgery and what happens i only know what the doctors and I talked about and things from the seminar. I just saw so many people talking about plastic surgery it was a shock because I didn't even realize so many people got it done. That's why I asked. I am only taking this thing one day at a time. I do want to know as much about the entire procedure as I can though. I think the more I know the better choices I can make for myself.
Redhaired
on 6/9/09 4:27 am - Mouseville, FL
Yes, many people do get plastics after WLS.  But often it is not covered by insurance.  The best thing you can do is to focus on getting the weight off.  But along the way anytime you have skin issues, see your PCP to get them documented in your medical records.  This way if the day should come when you want to have plastics you will have already started the paper trail to prove medical necessity. 

Red

MSHAMO
on 6/9/09 8:26 am - AUBURN HILLS, MI
My WLS surgeon told me from the beginning that my insurance co. would pay for a panni if I lost 100 lbs. and that was my goal from day one!! And they did!!  Good luck, I think having an extra goal really makes sure that you succeed!!
High/VSG/Surgeon Goal/My Goal/Current 257/242/170/155/141  I love my sleeve!
5' 3.5"    Plastic Surgeon: Dr. Raymond Hajjar, Bingham Farms, MI   Extended TT, muscle repair, lipo & hernia repair 2/25/09  Direct neck lift and muscle repair  4/14/09  Short scar lower face lift, more neck work and lower bleph 9/15/09
Most Active