Infections 2.5+ Months Out...

(deactivated member)
on 6/8/09 6:32 am - Los Angeles, CA
Yeah, I bought ProCare, should be here soon. I'll let you know how vile it is!

I know, I also think if eat more, I'll gain weight, but so far so good!
Susan S.
on 6/8/09 5:39 am - Roselle, NJ
Don't know what procedure you had or how far out you are - you reference late in the game - but if you had an LBL - it is a procedure that interrupts all of the fascia - and opens up the body to lots of potential infection - not sure where you got your 1% stat but it is not at all consistent with the clinical data I read - infection rates are higher under the best of cir****tances and when you do something like a medial thigh lift - because of location and tension issues - infection rates soar!  Your father isn't very likely to be correct - infections caused by poor OR practice appear early - infections far out and more a matter of poor healing - and nutrition is number one on the list.  I developed a seroma which became very quickly infected within days of my 3 times a week re-evals when I had my LBL - that's why high surveillance is important with big plastics.   I"m glad you're resting and hope things resolve very quickly - but your experience is not at all unusual.      Susan
Obesity Help Support Group Leader - The Woman Warrior
286/170/131 (starting/goal/current)
LBL - 10-30-08, brachioplasty/augmentation 2-26-09, medial thigh lift 3-16-09
Plastics - Dr. Joseph Fodero

286/170/140/131 (starting weight/goal/surgeons goal/current)

LBL 10-30-08 - Joseph Fodero
Brachioplasty/Breast Augmentation - 2=24-09

Susan S.
on 6/8/09 5:49 am - Roselle, NJ
Just figured out you had upper body work and developed the infection 2.5 months out - it's still a very disruptive procedure wtih lots of loosening of the skin from all the connective tissue underneath before it is resected and reattached.   Opens up channels under the skin that can harbor bacteria that sit in swollen tissues - and it takes time for capillary beds to reform to remove those pockets and bring in immunologic products to address the infection - couple that healing process with inadequate nutrition and your body had an uphill battle to fight.  You'll be fine - your extreme youth is on your side.......and lesson learned - as you go into your next procedures - eat!!!!  Hope you feel better soon.  Susan
Obesity Help Support Group Leader - The Woman Warrior
286/170/131 (starting/goal/current)
LBL - 10-30-08, brachioplasty/augmentation 2-26-09, medial thigh lift 3-16-09
Plastics - Dr. Joseph Fodero

286/170/140/131 (starting weight/goal/surgeons goal/current)

LBL 10-30-08 - Joseph Fodero
Brachioplasty/Breast Augmentation - 2=24-09

(deactivated member)
on 6/8/09 6:30 am - Los Angeles, CA
Susan,

thank you so so much for your response - can you direct me to better information, since mine is obviously incorrect?

I'm definitely eating and getting better, but I have a fever so I'm more focused on fluids. I may end up with mac and cheese later just to get calories!
totalfreedom
on 6/8/09 6:51 am - Northern CA
Hi shira,

I am RNY as well.  We mal-absorbers are a tricky lot.

I had surgery on 12/29, multiple procedures (LBL, thigh lift, TT, BL, Butt Aug) with Dr. Agha.  He counseled me on nutrition.  I took the Pro-Care for 3 weeks prior and 6 weeks after.  I ended up with 5 opens and a couple of small opens.  All healed up nicely, no infections.  I was on Keflex for a couple of weeks after surgery.  I ate plenty of protein, vegies and fruit.  I am not sure of my caloric intake, but pretty much maintained my same regime of 3 meals, plus a snack of primarily protein.

I think the pro-care and protein were essential to my recovery.  Glad you are getting the pro-care.  Even though it taste yucky, you can mask it.  I used raspberry extract in my drink mixture.  That seems to do the trick.

Wishing you continued good progress.

Kelli

Kelli
5' 1, 221pds to 120pds, BMI: 42.5 to 22.8, Size 22WP to 2P.  
Dr. Agha-Newport Beach, CA:  
12.29.08:TT/LBL/UTL/BL/Butt Aug!
 5.10.09: Face/Neck Lift,Implants,lipo, lower eyelids,fat transfer

(deactivated member)
on 6/8/09 6:58 am - Los Angeles, CA
Thanks so much for your input and sharing experience with me.

Do you have any other recipes for masking the ProCare?
happy girl
on 6/8/09 6:55 am, edited 6/9/09 9:11 am
I have pretty much been on antibiotics since my surgery, the most recent a week ago as something grew out of the culture.

For me there is really no explanation, other than this is how my body is reacting to the surgery.

edit to add: Found out today I have MRSA. yay me

2003 RNY, 2007 Revision Distal RNY
April 17, 2009 ~ fleur de lis TT w/Muscle Repair, Medial Thigh Lift, Ventral Hernia Repair 

BigV
on 6/8/09 4:13 pm - UK
In my opinion these type of post op infections are just a risk with this type of surgery - A small % of people will end up with wound openings, infections, seromas etc etc etc.............. unfortunately you are one of the unlucky ones.

I had an infection after one of my surgeries,  after the operation my surgeon gives Cefalex cover for 7 days, obviously that didn't do the job as I ended up with the infection later on.  He then went to a second choice antibiotic (flucloxacillin I think), which did the job.

I didn't have a big infection by any standard, my temp was only just around the 100.8 area, but boy I felt like death for a short time.   So I can sympathize, infections are nasty.

As for wound openings - well again they can and do happen,  especially around the upper & lower back area (lower body lift for instance), because there is a LOT of strain on the wound....... gravity basically.............................. again I had one of these on my back, it was a huge  deep hole which you could fit your whole fist into, pretty gross but actually fairly painless.   Stitched twice, split open twice - was offered a skin graft to cover it up but I decided to let it heal inside out, which took about 3 weeks.

I have also experienced a Seroma too, so I think I have tried every complication going - not really anybodies fault, just one of those things.

This type of surgery isn't normal plastic surgery really - The surgeon is removing huge chunks of flesh and skin, on top of that a lot of people here will be in a fairly poor nutritional state due to WLS, which only adds to the risks.

Most Active