Infections 2.5+ Months Out...

Amy_in_MA
on 6/8/09 12:28 am - Danvers, MA
Good girl. If not, I may have to come and beat your butt. :)

(deactivated member)
on 6/8/09 12:29 am - Los Angeles, CA
Any excuse for a visit!
Susan S.
on 6/8/09 5:45 am - Roselle, NJ
It is not standard practice to culture a localized infection post plastics  - until a broad spectrum antibiotic has been implemented and/or response is poor.   People with a history of healing issues or MRSA infections etc. (I had a history of MRSA pre-WLS) may be placed under a higher surveillance protocol but a culture right out of the gate isn't the usual thing. Once an infection proves to be persistent - a culture and sensitivity is absolutely indicated - but frankly - the entire health care system would collapse if we cultured everything...(I work in public health).    SUsan
Obesity Help Support Group Leader - The Woman Warrior
286/170/131 (starting/goal/current)
LBL - 10-30-08, brachioplasty/augmentation 2-26-09, medial thigh lift 3-16-09
Plastics - Dr. Joseph Fodero

286/170/140/131 (starting weight/goal/surgeons goal/current)

LBL 10-30-08 - Joseph Fodero
Brachioplasty/Breast Augmentation - 2=24-09

Amy_in_MA
on 6/8/09 5:47 am, edited 6/8/09 5:51 am - Danvers, MA
Would Amoxycillin usually be the first choice of antibiotic for a post-op infection though? I'm actually not even sure her surgeon put her on an antibiotic after the first issue (I can't remember). And her first infection, her hip incision popped open...it was a damn good size...I don't know if you saw the pics but personally? I think it warranted more than just basic treatment. She had to be brought back into the OR to be stitched back up.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/plasticsurgery/3939423/All -Stitched-Up-Follow-Up-Post-Now-with-PICTURES/#31752199

Susan S.
on 6/8/09 5:57 am - Roselle, NJ
No Amoxycillin would not have been a first choice - something like duracept would have been better - more appropriate for the strep infections that plague deep tissue work - but hip incisions are notorious - gravity and pulling forces make healing very difficult (if you look at my postop pics I had open wounds on both hips - and they were not the areas where I had a seroma.   There is unfortunately a lot of opening up and closing up of suture lines with these bigger procedures - I never went back into the OR  - but I had several incisions reopened on the table in the docs office - not my happiest moments.  When this much tissue is disrupted - and capillary beds are cut - healing and repair are challenging.   I'm not suggesting that your calling for culture/sensitivity isn't ideal - just wanted to say that it's not at all standard.   Susan
Obesity Help Support Group Leader - The Woman Warrior
286/170/131 (starting/goal/current)
LBL - 10-30-08, brachioplasty/augmentation 2-26-09, medial thigh lift 3-16-09
Plastics - Dr. Joseph Fodero

286/170/140/131 (starting weight/goal/surgeons goal/current)

LBL 10-30-08 - Joseph Fodero
Brachioplasty/Breast Augmentation - 2=24-09

Amy_in_MA
on 6/8/09 6:06 am - Danvers, MA
I agree that perhaps it isn't standard protocol. I do think that in Shira's case better treatment was warranted.

bkdsize10
on 6/8/09 12:43 am - Salem, VA
I developed a large abcess in my abdomen 5 1/2 weeks after my tummy tuck. Some people think it was caused by my surgeon. I think it is just something that happens to some people because he warned me about them before my surgery ever took place. I don't blame him at all and even had a breast lift with him a week and a half ago and haven't had any problems. Family members like to blame the surgeon because they are worried about us. I think these infections are fairly common as I have seen many posts on here about them.

Barbara 
329/309/168/160
http://www.geocities.com/redhdmamma

(deactivated member)
on 6/8/09 2:12 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Oh Boy....sorry to hear you having such a rough time lately.

I have not any infections with the surgeries I've had but then I have not had any lower body work yet.

You mentioned you don't think your nutrition was where it needed to be.  I'm getting ready to have mine done at the end of July.  Would you share with me what you did wrong so I can avoid it??  I want to make sure I'm going into this in the best physical (and mental) state possible.

Thanks and I really hope you are feeling much better real soon!!!!

Ruth
(deactivated member)
on 6/8/09 2:26 am - Los Angeles, CA
Eat. Apparently you need to eat to heal, who knew?

I was still eating around 1,000 calories a day, and while I KNEW it was wrong, I sort of  have a nice long history of all 3 eating disorders.

I'm now to eat a minimum of 2,000 calories a day, lots of fresh fruits and veggies, I'll get some meat, etc...I also now get in a MINIMUM of 120 gms of protein a day.

I also ordered a supplement called "ProCare", which was reviewed in journals to help with healing. It sort of just blasts you with vitamins, considering I can only get in so much on my own.

So I would say start working your way up with calories. I was starving my body, and especially after surgery, not such a good idea.

I have to say, it's really hard, because I no longer eat junk food, so trying to get in 2,000 cals/day is a very big challenge, but I'm doing it!

I was told the infection risk with upper body is much lower than with lower body.

(deactivated member)
on 6/8/09 4:12 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Oh Man, I eat 1,200 a day....I think if I eat 2,000 I'll gain weight!!

I normally eat lots of fresh veg and fruit and get about 100 - 120 gr of protein daily.

My surgeon (Dr. Agha) insists on having patients drink Procare for a month before surgery.  Not looking forward to it since I hear it tastes nasty but I'll be a good girl and drink it.

I'm hoping my calorie level will be ok.........

Thanks for the information.  Hope you are feeling better SOON!
Most Active