Infections 2.5+ Months Out...

(deactivated member)
on 6/7/09 4:30 pm - Los Angeles, CA
It's been quite a ride. In the last 1.5 weeks I've had two, count 'em, TWO localized infections. Today, it hit my body, but thankfully some Tylenol and as much fluid as I could chug took me from 100.3 to 98.8, but it was scary! I'm on Amoxycillin, and I'm resting as much as possible.

Now, I trust my surgeon implicitly - however, my father is convinced that my surgeon is responsible for these VERY late and I'm told rare infections.

Has anyone else had infections this late in the game? It's literally been "Thursday, you look great", and "Monday, your infection blew up and popped".

Thanks for your input. I genuinely don't think it has anything to do with my treatment, I think my body obviously has some issues to work through (and my next surgery has been postponed for obvious reasons).

Thanks!

Shira
sablouwho
on 6/7/09 10:51 pm - La La Land, CA
Been thinking about you and I'm glad to hear the fever is down. Pls let us know how it goes w/Aboolian today.
~Cindy  

Watch my first appearance on
The Doctors TV Show   (aired Dec 2008)
Plastics done by Siamak Agha, MD (lower body lift/spiral thigh lift) in Dec 2009, breast 

Cynthia's Lower Body Lift procedure by Dr. Siamak Agha
 this includes footage from my first and second appearance on The Doctors as well as footage of my actual surgery

Amy_in_MA
on 6/7/09 11:50 pm - Danvers, MA
So remember me telling you about my friend Holly and her lower body lift? And her MRSA infections? Hers began earlier out, but resulted in 8 months of surgeries, hospitalizations, etc. Personally? I think your surgeon should have counseled you better nutritionally about post-op recovery, and I also think that with your first infection, the wound should have been cultured at that time. But, that's just my opinion. I won't ever be doing plastics...I promise you that.

(deactivated member)
on 6/8/09 12:09 am - Los Angeles, CA
Nutritionally, there's no question. I wasn't a very good listener when they said "eat".

The second infection has been cultured, so I'll ask about it today.

I was doing some research - infections, PERIOD, are 1% or less of complications, and to have them so late in the game? Probably .5%.

I still want the rest of my plastics. Aside from the **** I've had to go through. I've still never felt better about myelf mentally, and physically I'm loving it. Maybe I'm just overly vain.
Amy_in_MA
on 6/8/09 12:10 am - Danvers, MA
But why didn't he culture the first one? Andy why not a stronger antibiotic from the get-go?

(deactivated member)
on 6/8/09 12:11 am - Los Angeles, CA
Who thought I'd get a second one?

As for the stronger antibiotics, I resisted them because I thought I was allergic. Not so!
Amy_in_MA
on 6/8/09 12:13 am - Danvers, MA
He is the physician. You resisting should not have been a factor. Had he told you, point blank, you need this, you would have complied in taking them. And regardless of whether anyone thought you would get a second infection, I think it should have been cultured to ensure you were being treated with the appropriate antibiotic from the beginning to take all precautions against further infection. But, like I said, that is just my opinion.

(deactivated member)
on 6/8/09 12:22 am - Los Angeles, CA
I agree that I don't know why he didn't culture the first one.

I do require point blank, don't I? But I wasn't perfectly honest with my food intake, and I take responsibility for that.

My main concern is still that it happened so LATE in the game. I mean, one day I was perfect, the next day, BAM.

After all, I've learned a very hard lesson in the meantime abotut food.
Amy_in_MA
on 6/8/09 12:24 am - Danvers, MA
The bigger lesson here for you (and I say this because I love you dearly, you know that, I am NOT trying to beat up on you) is that you must have full disclosure with your medical team about EVERYTHING you do, are doing, not doing, etc. If you don't tell them everything, they can't properly treat you fully.

(deactivated member)
on 6/8/09 12:25 am - Los Angeles, CA
Yeah, I got that part DOWN now.
Most Active