Pouting - Anemic-Iron Def

cbhjr98
on 6/7/09 10:16 pm
UGH!!!!!!!!!!!  My iron is SUPER low and they tell me now I'm anemic. It's been just over 9 weeks since surgery where I lost 4 units of blood that they didn't replace. My PCP is putting me on supplements. Hopefully we can get my levels back up before December when I'm set to have my BL/BA and arms done.

Thanks for listening to my pout...

Cass

Starting BMI under 45? Join us on The Lightweight Board. 
HW:257ish / SW:205 / CW:110.4 / GW:119.99
MelissaF
on 6/7/09 11:34 pm - Northwood, IA
Are they just now telling u that you lost 4 units and didn't replace it Cass?

That is a lot of blood and not sure why they didn't infuse you as part of the surgery consent includes the replacement of blood in the event of excessive blood loss.

If I were you I would talk to your doc but increase your iron trifold and take with vitamin C and avoid any calcium/dairy foods/tea or coffee within 2 hours either way of your iron to incrase absorption.  I know this means not much of those foods most of the day if you are taking it several times a day :(

Also, eat your organ meats (yuck I know) if you an stand it as it is also higher in iron, broccoli, raw spinach, dark leafies...

I bet you are so tired.  The last thing u need after surgery is trying to get your iron storages up.  It is too bad they didn't take this into account during or immediatly postop so you could have been infused.

You may need an iron infusion which is quick and pretty painless if you cannot get it up on your own after a while. 

Hang in there! *hugs*
Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

RNY- 12/04/06 with Dr. Matt Glasock

LBL - 4/28/09 with Dr. Rene Recinos

cbhjr98
on 6/7/09 11:48 pm
They told me when I woke up that I had lost that much but they wanted me to take it easy and hoped I would rebuild it within 6 weeks then go and get it tested by my PCP. That's what I just did and got these results back - guess I didn't rebuild it as much as they wanted.  I dont drink caffeine anyhow so that's all easy enough and i've always followed the "w/C and nothing else" rule with my iron. And yeah, I've been really tired but didn't really think much of it since so much is going on right now.

As for infusions - I'm in germany and it's not as common here I guess. Anyways it's another thing that the "cultural barrier" makes difficult.

Cass

Starting BMI under 45? Join us on The Lightweight Board. 
HW:257ish / SW:205 / CW:110.4 / GW:119.99
Susan S.
on 6/8/09 5:33 am - Roselle, NJ
Cass - I had to have three units of blood (two of my own plus one) when I had  my LBL and I was on iron supplements postop for 5 months - and I was fine - I had not had anemia issues prior to plastics - and I'm stable and back to normal now...an LBL is a big operation - with a lot of  blood loss for many of us......it will get better.....and you have plenty of time to recover.  I went on to have two more procedures within six months of my LBL........plenty of time.......Susan
Obesity Help Support Group Leader - The Woman Warrior
286/170/131 (starting/goal/current)
LBL - 10-30-08, brachioplasty/augmentation 2-26-09, medial thigh lift 3-16-09
Plastics - Dr. Joseph Fodero

286/170/140/131 (starting weight/goal/surgeons goal/current)

LBL 10-30-08 - Joseph Fodero
Brachioplasty/Breast Augmentation - 2=24-09

(deactivated member)
on 6/8/09 8:12 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Here's another tip to boost your iron.......I've been doing it and it helps.

Black Strap Molasses.  NOT the kind of molasses you normally find in the baking isle....you have to make sure it says "black strap".  It has one of the highest % of iron you can find in any food.  Take 1 tbls a day.....2 if you want.  Now I take 1 tbls a day just as maintenance..

Within 2 weeks I physically felt the difference and my last blood work was all normal.
Most Active