Great news-- but some shady math-- can you help?

Jupiter6
on 6/7/09 5:44 am, edited 6/7/09 5:52 am - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
My panniculctomy was approved, which is great...but I don't think they even TRIED for the breasts or arms. She needed a major push to even try for the belly-- she says, "Oh no, this stuff is NEVER covered."

I need your advice here-- surgery's June 25th.

1) Should I push about the arms and breasts now that the pannus is covered? How do I go about convincing them to bother? (My surgeon's office that is. They have all the material/photos/doctor's letters anyone could want.)

2) Bill was $18,500 with panniculectomy covered they're telling me $15, 500. Shouldn't this be even lower now if BC BS pays anesthesia and hospital costs?

3) Can I have the surgery and continue to appeal to BC BS after the fact for repayment on arms/chest?

Thanks, I'd like to hear what you think!

"Oh sweet and sour Jesus, that is GOOD!" - Stephen Colbert  Lap RNY 7/07-- Lap Gallbladder 5/08--  
     Emergency Bowel Repair
6/08 -Dr. Meilahn, Temple U.  
 Upper and Lower Bleph/Lower Face Lift 
12/08 
     Fraxel Repair 2/09-- Lower Bleph Re-Do 5/09  -Dr. Pontell, Media PA  Mastopexy/Massive 
     Brachioplasty/ Extended Abdominoplasty 
(plus Mons Lift and Upper Leg lift) / Hernia Repair
      6/24/09 ---Butt Lift and Lateral Thighplasty Scheduled 7/6/10
 - Dr. Ivor Kaplan VA Beach

Total Cost: $33,500   Start wt: 368   RNY wt: 300  Goal wt: 150   Current wt: 148.2  BMI: 24.7

workingmommy
on 6/7/09 5:49 am
RNY on 12/10/07 with
On your initial quote, did they break down all the costs?  What you might want to do is see if the insurance is covering anesthesia and surgical costs for the entire procedure?  If you are getting multiple procedures at once, they may not cover the time to do the procedures that are not being covered at that time. Also, you can appeal directly to the insurance company as well if you think the Dr's office is not going to do it.  I would definitely go for it though!  I hope that made sense!

April

160 lbs lost to date!
LBL: 6/10/09
BL/BA/Brachio: 7/14/09
MTL: 6/17/10

MelissaF
on 6/7/09 5:51 am, edited 6/7/09 5:56 am - Northwood, IA
Hey Shari! Sick of me yet??? ;-) Ya know I love ya.. *mwah*

1) Yes, push for arms and breasts, people on here did and have won with the photos and evidence just like you provided.  ABOSOLUTELY! 200% do it!  Worst they can say is NO... submit, submit, submit.  Ya just never know.

2) 18.5k for completion of TT after panni coverage, boobs and arms correct? Sounds right to me.  My LBL was 10.6k after panni. I still had to pay for OR hours and anesthesia hours outside of panni.  They only pay for panni operation and hours involved with PANNI.. nothing more.  You pay the rest. 

3) You can appeal after the fact.. but its harder to do once it happened.  MUCH harder.  I would start NOW.  Submit it yourself if you need to but I would try to get the doc to back you up with a dictated letter stating why you need this as reconstruction after massive weight loss and not for cosemetic purposes that it alters your life and daily activities involved with daily life.  

GOOD LUCK!

edited to explain: They paid 2 hours of OR time and 2 hours of anesthesia for panni.  I paid the remaning 5 hours.  I also paid for second night in hospital b/c first night was paid for panni - requires only 1 night.  I paid for one binder, they paid for the other, etc.

Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

RNY- 12/04/06 with Dr. Matt Glasock

LBL - 4/28/09 with Dr. Rene Recinos

Jupiter6
on 6/7/09 6:06 am - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
Okay, so I need to shove the office into submitting that, or can I get the ICD9 codes and do it myself?

"Oh sweet and sour Jesus, that is GOOD!" - Stephen Colbert  Lap RNY 7/07-- Lap Gallbladder 5/08--  
     Emergency Bowel Repair
12/08 
     Fraxel Repair 2/09-- Lower Bleph Re-Do 5/09  -Dr. Pontell, Media PA  Mastopexy/Massive 

Total Cost: $33,500   Start wt: 368   RNY wt: 300  Goal wt: 150   Current wt: 148.2  BMI: 24.7

MelissaF
on 6/7/09 6:11 am - Northwood, IA
You certainly can get the ICD codes for it.. there is a few people on here that have complete lists of ICD9 codes that can help you... start a separate post and ask them to post it for you.

However, I would think that a dictated letter in addition to submitting yourself would only help.  Have you seen a chiropractor or a dermatologist?  Get letters from them as well if you have to submit yourself and your surgeon will not do it (that irks me truly).  It can't hurt to try even if "it never is covered".  I have seen some crazy stuff get approved on this board and even in my own physical support group.  
Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

Jupiter6
on 6/7/09 6:10 am - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
I gotacha...so they pay for the panni portion, but not the anesthesia to complete the abdominoplasty, etc. 

Yah-- went from $18.5 for all three to 15.5k.

Emergency Bowel Repair
12/08 

MelissaF
on 6/7/09 6:12 am - Northwood, IA
My complete procedure was around 13.5k to 14k, after 10.6k. Sounds right and 3k is very common pricing from what i see for panni.  Sounds right really.
Hugs, Melissa 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/7/09 9:05 am - OH
Yes... the cost is still high because insurance will only pay for the portion of the anesthesia, anesthesiologist, OR time, equipment charges, etc. that would have been required for the panni only (and, probably, if it is a PPO, they are only crediting you with what the insurance will actually PAY versus what they would have been billed if you were only having the panni done).  Yes, it's a bit shady, IMO, but is standard practice according to both my insurance company and a friend who does QA for an insurance company.

This was part of the reason I ended up having to have multiple (3) surgeries.  In retrospect, I should have just taken the "out of network" insurance payment for the panni removal and had everything (hernia, panni, mons, TT) done at once (and then had the arms done separately).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

DEBI R.
on 6/7/09 5:55 am - CORSICANA, TX
 Hi Shari ,

Definately push them to get everything aprpoved that you can.

My surgeons office said they never get arms approved but would submit it for me if I wanted. I was approved for my arms and panniculectomy both. They were really shocked that I got approved for the arms, I had to pay out of pocket for the LBL with anchor.

Good luck and keep us posted, Debi

____debi__________200.jpg image by tunie_2006 item11.jpg image by tunie_2006      

minuature pinscher 

(deactivated member)
on 6/7/09 6:04 am - Los Angeles, CA
Push and yell and do what you can. I've seen your arms, they are DEFINITELY worth the shot.

With me, I don't bother arguing for my breasts/arms, I have no argument, but I believe you do.
Most Active