packing a wound help...yuck

Nicole998
on 6/7/09 10:56 am, edited 6/7/09 10:58 am - Winter Haven, FL
Hi Shira,
I did miss it, I haven't been online because of this infection.  I went back and found it though.  I am so sorry you have had to go through all that!  When they told me to pack it, they said soak it in the saline solution and then squeeze out the excess so that it is just damp then hold it in front of the wound and pu**** in with the long q-tip thing and leave a 'tail' out so that I can pull it out again.
Thanks for replying and sharing your story as well.
Nicki
 HighCurrent / Surgeon's Goal / Personal Goal
291 /    157 /        160         /          170

MelissaF
on 6/7/09 11:14 am - Northwood, IA
Sounds perfect, just how I would pack a wound... of course wash your hands before and wear gloves if you can get some just to be safe. You are doing a great job!!!
Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

RNY- 12/04/06 with Dr. Matt Glasock

LBL - 4/28/09 with Dr. Rene Recinos

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/7/09 11:26 am - OH
Welcome to my world.  I have been fighting a huge wound in the center of my ribcage and running underneath one breast for the past 4.5 months after the incision broke down and turned necrotic and the surgeon had to cut out a bunch of dead tissue.

Mine was not infected... the tissue just died from lack of blood, so there really wasn;t anything I could do to keep it from getting any worse.  IF yours is infected, you nee to continue to take the antibiotics and keep it clean by washing it out several times a day with an antibacterial soap (my surgeon said "Dial" was fine).

I found that a gauze called "Kerlix", which comes rolled and is a very open weave, worked best for the initial, wet layer of packing.  (I assume your surgoen has you doing a wet layer then a dry layer.) The kerlix can be hard to find, though, since places like Walgreens don;t carry it.  It is available cheapyl online, though from Allegro medical.  It sticks less to the healing tissue than 2X2s or 4X4s.

I hate to tell you this, but you need to be prepared for a long road of healing, depending on how deep the hole is...  even with a wound vac, these things take time to regenerate tissue and skin.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Jessie-F
on 6/8/09 12:27 pm, edited 6/8/09 12:28 pm
Okay, now I'm officially scared!!! How often does this occur with surgery?, why does this happen? Does the surgeon cut too much skin causing the skin to open??? I'm so sorry that you, and all the others, are going through this. I don't know how I would handle this, I am the most squirmish person around. I just about fainted when the dentist mentioned  that I had a massive infection inside a tooth, and yes, the smell of infection is about the foulest smell around!!

I hope things get better soon, chin up!
-Jessie

Highest weight:215/ Surgery day:199/ current:139/ Goal weight:130

Most Active