has anyone had a lap band which did not work and got RNY and was successful

tasha1972
on 6/7/09 3:59 pm - Milwaukee, WI
I have had the Lap Band since 2003 6yrs at my heaviest weight I was 273pd 5'3 I lost 10pd before surgery. since having surgery I managed to lose 63pds but never got my weight under 200pd I am now 257pds and have started the process of getting RNY I want to know if anyone has done the same and had success with RNY Please someone help
bandhope
on 6/8/09 12:40 am - TX
I'm sure there are plenty of people who can relate to you and have gone with other options. You might want to try the revision forum. I would think most of them would be found there. Best wishes to you!!
BigCityGirl
on 6/8/09 1:06 am - San Diego, CA
I'm sure you'll lose weight with an RNY.  The problem is regaining the weight.  The core issue of food addiction must be addressed.  The changes to lifestyle have to be permanent and healthy or no surgery will be successful over the long haul.  Exercising and eating  properly forever - not just during the weight loss phase is the key to permanent weight loss with any of these surgeries.    Good luck. 
Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
Lisa A.
on 6/8/09 1:11 am
I will give u my 2 cents worth here, I was a very very very slow lap bander loser  and was not tell I got the right adjustment and eat properly (forty lbs lost the first year,) I am married to my hubby Who had a RNY. I also have a son that had a lap band in jan, I do give support to many people.who are a slow lap band losers and trust me I  know why they r not losing they are eating way to much food  etc and they need to have aa good fill  I know most people fail their band because they do not have a proper filling, I had to have 7 fills to finally achieve my sweet spot and finally drop  most  of my weight the second year. Each surgery has  their own pitfalls and failures. I know RNY is very attractive as most will lose most of their weight with in 6 months, the Problem arrises from if u do not start self discipline with RNY  and really be committed with working the program u will regain your weight, You will streach your pouch and surprise u will be hungry all the time, The band worked for me because it helps control my hunger big time, My hubby gets hungry and has hard time keeping his weight off but the fact he is very active and I do most of the cooking here he has no choice but work the program. He does have alot of self discipline over his hunger, I know most people do not lose weight because they are not exercising and I have stalled my weight loss becasue I have not been working out at the gym due to recent surgeries, Trust me 1200 to 1500 calories is not really alot of food. I had worked with dietician closely and was working out in gym 3 hours a day and was not tell I made the metabolic shift did my body finally turn into a fat buring machine, Metabolic shift is when your gerd(belly) high blood pressure even mild  and diabetes even mild can u finally achieve the weight loss. I can see why people fail the diet becasue the surgery has not failed them they have failed to really understand fully that the obesity is caused from. I had severe depression. I beleive exercising is they key to sucessful weight loss. I now eat clean diet except now and then when i give my self permission to do so to indulge and take a vacation from wls regiman I eat only organic natural foods, I do not eat artifical sweetners perservatives, I use whole wheat i grind my self. I really decided to stop posioning my body and I feel so much better my depression is gone I feel 100% better and I have my energy back. I eat very little meat. I eat alot of beans fresh fruit and veggies, I use real butter and yes I even drink whole milk (shocking but their is alot of fillers in nf and low fat to make it look drinkable, I use butter  or grape seed oil  can take higher temp for like a stir fry where olive il will break down at high temp for cooking My laps are amazing and with in the normal range, I use lap work to judge how I am doing. I do not use soy protien as I feel can cause hormonal issues, I do not use protein supplements anymore I just eat good nutrition with a permission to eat the no no foods every so often, I just know I cannot lose weight eating junk easy slidder foods. I gave up soda.. I drink natural juices and I do make smoothies Where I do add protein because it is my meal. I just have about 15 more lbs I want to lose but It will be up to me to hit the gym to get the remainder off as I think I am doing all I can as far as eating right, I eat about 1500 to 1800 calories a day. I am no poster child for sucessfull weight loss I am a person that had to look at my self honestly and figured how I got in more calories in and less exercsie to keep me fat, I think we all have to be honest why we are not losing, I am not saying it is easy to lose weight, I just know that I have eating disorder and like any addiction I had to make good choices over the bad choices and really under stand that any weight loss will fail if u do not use your tool properly, Side note here I did have to do high intensity work out  vs aerobics work out to make the difference, Learn and understand why one will work better for some vs others, I had to get my heart rate to 210 for 10 mins then slow down bring back up down up down over a course of a hour, Listen to your body and know that it is amazing machine when fined tuned. Found out what works for you and figured what slidder food are eating and above all figure out what u need to do to make it work right but my advice is go in for a fill asap and if u can eat more than 6 oz of food u r eating to much, My meals are no bigger than 4 oz. Good luck in deciding. I just know I had to really figure out what i was doing wrong and I decided I was gonna eat clean diet made up of natural foods no hormones  Milk has bht is best way for over all heath, U were talking to someone that had diabetes well over700 and cholestrol 300 range and a mess, I do not even drink coffee /caffine. Most people who switch from one surgery to other have 50% failure rate . I would work with a therapist and take a good  look into your self and figure what is best for you, I just know if I do not have hunger button under control is where I get into trouble, My hubby can work threw hunger but he does ot eat very well and suffers from RNY related problems gount osteporios  battles diabetes and had blood clotthing disorder and is on tons of drugs and supplaments and I am type of body that chemicals aka meds are poison to my body, Know your body and only u can really know what will work for u, Good luck
Lisa
zappre
on 6/8/09 3:46 am
If I may throw in another idea for good measure.  I'm a revision from a VBG (Vertical Banded Gastroplasty) in the early 90's to a DS (Duodenal Switch).  I've lost about 200 pounds now since surgery in Nov. 07 and LBL two weeks ago.  There are alot of Lap Band to DS revisions on the DS board that would be happy to give you their 2 cents (lots of RNY to DS revisions as well).  It's worked brilliantly for me and so many others.  Feel free to pop over to the DS board and have a look.  Best of luck in whatever choice you make for yourself.

HW-373 / SW-352 / CW-160 / GW-185                     

dec721
on 6/8/09 5:20 am - Decatur, GA
VSG on 08/07/08 with
Look into the vertical sleeve gastrectomy!  There are a bunch of revisions from lap band on the VSG forum.  We love our sleeves!      --Dorothy

Highest weight: 292   Pre-op weight: 265   Goal met: 150   Six years out: 185 and trying to lose again!

gypsywoman6789
on 6/8/09 6:37 am - Hudson, NH
A friend of mine had the lap band done about 3 years ago, lost a good amount of weight, looked pretty good but always had problems with food getting stuck and vomitting etc.  After a while she had it removed, then she shot up the scale back to over 200 lbs.  She had RNY this past December and has had tremendous success.  So people definitely do it.  I'm not impressed so far with the results I've seen from various Lap Band patients I know, but I know it has been good for some people.  My hospital where I had my RNY done won't even do them anymore because of the failure rate they were experiencing.

Then there are other surgeries out there besides RNY also.  You might want to check them out and find out which one is the best for you and which ones your insurance would cover.

Good luck.
gonemadx3
on 6/9/09 12:41 am - East Peoria, IL
Yes me, with complications- but im great now!

-Michele

lap band '05/revision to rny 11/21/07
5'6- hw/276 sw/242 cw/144 gw/140
then- bmi 36-39 now-bmi 24-
NORMAL WEIGHT

"It's  Not Who You Are On The Inside, It's What You Do That Defines You".....

or

GregNE
on 6/13/09 11:12 pm - Omaha, NE
Ditto Zappre's response.

I was a lap-band to Duodenal Switch revision.  After 18 months, I only had lost a couple pounds, but had been down about 30 lbs at one point----whoopie.  I had a Inamed VG Lap-Band (the larger size one offered at the time.)  I finally realized it was not the solution for me when I went for fill number 5 due to a lack of weight loss, and they said it was too tight, and actually did an unfill.

But yes, I have had a successful revision from lap band to a gastric bypass procedure, and I know the frustration you have.  But please, do research the DS also.  It is a little more extensive than the RNY, but normally DSers do not experience the weight regain that plagues so many RNY patients.  There are other benefits to the DS, as well as a couple of drawbacks, but do research the option.   I had expected an RNY, but by accident, ended up seeing a Dr. that does the DS instead (he only does the RNY if he finds the stomach scarred badly from a previous WLS, and even then, he routes the intestines similar to the DS.) 

And, in retrospect, the important element I needed is the malabsorbtion, in addition to the restriction.  Strictly restrictive procedures do not have a high success rate, especially with those of us that start with  high BMIs.

charleston-mom
on 6/15/09 11:09 pm
I had a revision from lapband (horrible) to RNY almost two years ago and am down to 106 pounds and a size 0. RNY is the best thing I ever did for myself and there is no comparison between the two surgeries.
Most Active