anyone regret not having muscle tightening during a TT or LBL?

(deactivated member)
on 6/5/09 12:09 pm

i had three PS consults this week for extended TTs and two of the three surgeons said they automatically do muscle tightening with all tummy tucks.. (one said that anyone who has been overweight for any length of time will have very lax muscles -- he said my 10 years of being overweight was the same as being pregnant for 10 years.)  the third surgeon, who is the one i actually like the best (for other reasons), said that, just from looking at me, she can tell that my stomach muscles are pretty close together and it wouldn't be worth it to get muscle tightening (especially given that i eventually want to have babies, and that stomach tightening makes for a more uncomfortable pregnancy).  

my question to you:  anyone not get muscle tightening during a TT or LBL and wish they had?  

thanks in advance, and also for all of your help and expertise with all my questions this week!

sarah

Robin B.
on 6/5/09 12:24 pm
In 7 operatic words ... Me Me Me Me Me Me Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Banded - 10.10.07
Starting Weight - 284               Current Weight - 144             Goal Weight - 149

(deactivated member)
on 6/5/09 12:49 pm
 whyyy?? you look amazing!!!
Robin B.
on 6/8/09 12:01 am
My stomach looks OK if I'm sucking in my stomach (aka tightening my own muscles). If I'm relaxed my tummy does go out and is not flat. I also have a bit of extra skin right beneath my breasts that bulges if my stomach is not sucked in. I chose not to do the tightening because I was afraid of the pain and getting my muscles messed with.  I later learned that muscle tightening is stitching the muscles together, not cutting through the muscle or anything. It's not as invasive as I thought it was. Now my thought is if you're going to go through all the other parts of the surgery, mide as well do it all the way. Pain is pain and recovery is tough no matter if you tighten or not.

Best of luck to you!
Robin

Banded - 10.10.07
Starting Weight - 284               Current Weight - 144             Goal Weight - 149

-Mari-
on 6/5/09 3:09 pm
I wish I had my muscles tightened, too. But I've had all the babies I'm ever going to have. I've heard that, that could be a problem. When I had my panni I was unable at the time to have any thing else done. Some day I may go in and have just that done it would make my waist a lot smaller. Good luck with your decision.
 Mari  Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels!
MelissaF
on 6/5/09 11:57 pm - Northwood, IA
I am undecided on kids at the moment via natural means - looking at all options, esp adoption.  Not sure if I can conceive or not as we havent tried yet.

I went ahead and had the LBL whi*****iluded TT/muscle tightening.  I am thrilled.  Friend of mine had hers and got pregnant a year later.. she looks great, some loose skin but nothing too terrible, nothing she would go in for a revision for.  I think it all depends.. are u looking for perfection? Or are you looking to get rid of the flub and have a better underlying structure anatomically that was altered from obesity? that is what I wanted was more normalcy and I realize pregnancy can disrupt some of that  but i wanted to start off like the normal joe with good anatomy... sounds backwards I do realize but I didn't want to be pregnant regardless with extra weight/skin that makes me feel horrible.  I can deal with the postpartum issues if I don't have the other and if I don't like it - maybe a little revision will be in order later but I doubt it as I am not looking for svelteness.  People keep asking me when I am going to get into the bikini... I have no intentions.. I didn't do RNY or this for vanity.. looking good is a great perk.. feeling great is awesome!
Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

RNY- 12/04/06 with Dr. Matt Glasock

LBL - 4/28/09 with Dr. Rene Recinos

BigCityGirl
on 6/6/09 12:15 am - San Diego, CA
I'm not sure about this but is it really a TT or LBL without the muscle tightening?  In any event, I'm so very glad that muscle tightening was part of my LBL - for the first time in my life, I actually have a defined waist - and it's great.
Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
trudie74
on 6/6/09 12:37 am - Round Rock, TX
Call me vain:)

Melissa's comment on wearing a bikini made me realize how sad it is that I have NEVER, not even as a fat kid, put on a bikini.  I can't even remember trying one on for kicks.

Even if I can't pull it off, I am determined to put on a bikini...then I will probably go back to the good ole one piece!

brenda F.
on 6/6/09 2:33 am - whitney, TX
SAME here ...just for the hell of it I well try one on .lol..
was 400+ june 15th,06,..now 145-150 as of may15th,09 ... wow!!!what a ride .   
Cindy C.
on 6/9/09 6:58 am
I thought a TT always included muscle tightening.  Without it, isn't it just a panni?  I'm cinfused.

Cindy

Height 5' 1"   WLS on 12/05/07      Plastics on 04/27/09                                 

Most Active