Can you help me find the info I need about home/hospital needs and helps with a TT

D. Love
on 6/7/09 8:47 am
Thank you!

This is such a helpful list. I had the sheets in mind especially since this is a borrowed chair. I really like the undershirts, toilet seat, and the tea (found my back up MSHAMO; I'm adding them all to the list. the other advice is great as well. Where do you usually purchase the Smooth Move tea?

I'm really liking this new bunch
I even remembered the Love

Thanks a bunch
Dee
BigCityGirl
on 6/7/09 10:20 am - San Diego, CA
The brand name is "Traditional Medicinals" Organic Smooth Move.  They have a website but I buy mine at my super market.  They also sell it at GNC stores.  Here's the link:
http://www.traditionalmedicinals.com/

Good Luck, Dee.  Don't worry, everything will work out great. 

Donna
Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
PamT
on 6/7/09 3:14 am - Downey, CA
Dee,

I just had my TT & BL last Tuesday and I'm feeling pretty dang good today. Ditto on the suggestions you've already received, ESPECIALLY the pillows!   LOTS of them!!  My husband says my side of the bed looks like a hampsters nest!    I have pillows to prop me up, on both sides of me, to raise my legs alittle and some to lay on my belly. Also make sure you have a nightstand or side table to put all your "essentials",,where you can easily reach them. Meds, water, your remote, clock, etc,,  cause once you get settled in, you're not gonna wanna move!!  THAT'S the toughest part,, getting up & down.

PamT
D. Love
on 6/7/09 8:57 am
Last Tuesday and you're feeling pretty dang good! That is so great to hear, I amncouraged by the possibility!

With all the pillows Pam you make me 2nd think the borrowed recliner...but then again my bedroom is upstairs and it's nice to have options.

I think I'll bring my plastic drawers rolling cart from school to keep my things in. my living room will look a hot mess but I will be organized and ready.

Thank you!
Dee
oceanwave2
on 6/7/09 5:44 am - Clayton, NC
Hi Dee,

Sorry to here about your previous expereience but you know sometimes people are just people.

As for me I had my Anchor Tummy Tuck and a Breast lift on 5/29.  I am doing pretty good.  I am still a little hunched over.  I spent one night in the hospital.  The doctor gave me percocet and vialum for pain and muscle relaxing.  While I was in the hospital they did send in a respiratory nurse and she gave me  one of those little breathe machine that you blow into and hold your breath.  It is suppose to help with keeping my lungs cleared out so I wouldn't develop and upper respiratory infection.

I can say this the pain can be high at times and it took me a couple of days to realize to stay of schedule with those.  For my anchor tummy tuck my surgeon actually had to tighten/fold in my muscles twice; apparently I had a great gap that needed to put back together.  I have some swelling now and only two drains.

But the things that have helped me the most is my family and co-workers.  My co-workers call me to check on me and I truely appreciated that because I love my job I work for a cardiologist office.  My mom, dad, and sister have been helping with my drains, and making sure that I am comfortable.  My doctor says no showers till the drains come out.  I see him on Monday and hopefully they will come out along with some of the stitches.

It is always important to have pillows for support, things to keep you occupied like books, movies and things like that.  Also make sure to have the stool softners.  I have been using colace and it is helping.  The most important thing is to REST.  You will find that you will heal a whole lot faster.

I hope the information I have provided helps.  I will pray that you have a succeful surgery and speedy recovery.

Jasmine
D. Love
on 6/7/09 9:15 am
Thank you Jasmine

I am encouraged to see you willing and able to write so soon after surgery. What pain medication did you take home? My surgeon said they will try different types in the hospital.

I like the respiration blower. They sent me home with that and one of the binders ( $110 each and I bought 2). I have to get busy practicing my breaths. I plan to try on the binder tonight. I was told I would need help the whole first week getting into it. I think my insurance will send a nurse out--hopefully one up for an adventure, if not I will have to get up early day 5 -7 to get help from my mother before she goes to work. I am glad to see you have so much support at home.

I plan to get a good mixture of movement and rest and protein.

Your information was very helpful and I really value your prayers. Thank you so much.

Dee
dec721
on 6/7/09 7:33 am - Decatur, GA
VSG on 08/07/08 with
Best wishes on your surgery!  I had a TT six years ago, before WLS.  I live alone, so I had to really think things through before I went to the hospital.  The things I remember being helpful were:

--have the frig stocked with ready to zap meals, and anything and everything you like to drink (well, not *that* kind of drink, HA!)

--put all personal care items out on counter tops, so you don't have to reach or bend over

--ditto above for kitchen stuff

--cover all chairs and couches that you will sit on or lie on with washable blankets / quilts / towels, etc., just in case you leak

--load up on wet wipes for the first few days of washing yourself, or just use a washcloth and mild soap

--I got my hair cut really short before surgery and washed it by using a wet washcloth -- wet my hair by rubbing a really soggy cloth all over my head, then a little shampoo, then kept rinsing the cloth and rubbing over my head until the suds were gone.  Worked great! and I didn't have to bend over the sink.

--put a sturdy chair with arms (such as a dining room chair) beside chairs, couches, and your bed.  You can use the arms to help yourself up. 

--to do laundry (not applicable if you live with someone who will do it for you), I just put dirty clothes straight in the washer when I took them off, instead of in the hamper.  That way, when the machine was full, I just turned it on and washed everything in cold water.  I wasn't wearing any good clothes anyway!  Didn't have to lift or carry anything.  Then I moved one wet item at a time to the dryer and retrieved them the same way, with one of those grabber things.  Made many small trips with just an item or two back to the bedroom.

Soooo, that is probably more than you wanted to know!  I am a bit of a hyper-analytical, figure everything out type, so I grooved on working this all out in my head beforehand, and it worked great!  Hope all goes well for you :-)              --Dorothy

Highest weight: 292   Pre-op weight: 265   Goal met: 150   Six years out: 185 and trying to lose again!

D. Love
on 6/7/09 9:27 am
Lol at the drinks. I thought I was home free when the nurse told me I could not "smoke alcohol" for two weeks-I must have looked too agreeable and she corrected herself .

No, this is exactly what I needed to know, not to much in the least...I even have a grabber thing from my pre-wls pregnancy.

Love the personal and kitchen items on the counter.

Leaking-yuck-who knew (thanks)

I plan to get braids so I can also wa**** with a towel--if needed.

I can be a bit on the analytical side -so I'm really feeling you Dorthy. I will also be alone most of the day (bar the possible nurse) day 5 and onward.

Thank you so much for the great advice

Dee
Most Active