Can you help me find the info I need about home/hospital needs and helps with a TT

D. Love
on 6/6/09 9:37 pm
Greetings All

Haven't been here in a while, but I have a surgery date of June 18 for a TT (anchor) with Dr. DiNick at the Barix clinic in Ypsilanti.

The last time I was here I was unduly scolded by one person for asking a question that has been previously asked months prior (tisk, tisk). I know this question has been asked and answered time again in detail, but I need the info. so if you know how I can find the answer please let me know, or if you have suggestions please let me know. I appreciate all positive responses. The board has changed so much since I was active on it and I feel I can do better than the info from the search box. Is there a way to just search the PS message board. This has been a busy school year...now I can finally give some thought to this wonderfully-scary huge event in my life.

Question: What are some items that would be essential and helpful during my hospital stay and home recovery from my TT?

I plan to borrow a recliner for sleeping

I have
a walker
protein shakes
mederma

also will get
Vitamin E
comfy clothes-scrubs
wash wipes

That's all I have...help please

Thanks so much
Dee (Love- can't even recall how to make my love emoticon--but sending love to you all nevertheless).

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/6/09 10:24 pm - OH
I don;t think you'll need the walker... have not heard of anyone who experienced THAT much trouble walking.  Other than the expected muscle tightness and pain for the first few days/weeks, I had no trouble walking... it was the getting up and down that was the problem!

I did not find Mederma OR Vitamin E oil to be at all effective (I used both -- on different parts of my panni incision -- and left one area untreated),  What I DID find useful (when I had my arms done) is the silicon strips (although the incision needs to be completely sealed up before you can use these... otherwise it will pull the incision open.  Walmart carries the "Dr Blaine's Scar Care" brand.  A small strip (that can be cut in half) is about $18.  (I needed one package to do the full incision from the brachioplasty on one arm... two boxes for both arms).  You wear them 12 hours a day and can wash and reuse them.

I really did not find that I needed much other than extra protein and the recliner when I had my TT.  It was a very painful surgery for me, but other than needing the recliner and pain meds, it didn;t require anything special!  Good luck

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

D. Love
on 6/6/09 11:29 pm
Thank you Lora

I happened to have a walker left by a friend, and I thought it might come in handy as I pulled myself up from the recliner. It would probably be awkard to learn how to walk with it.

I am going to add the silicon strips to my list

Thank you again. I keep hearing about the pain of this surgery being far greater than wls. (But akin to having a baby: a pain that is soon forgotten as the outcome is appreciated).
# 1 MACK_MAMA
on 6/6/09 11:42 pm
I just had my anchor cut TT and BL on May 27th - so I am almost two weeks out - it's not quite THAT bad.... LOL - I have been wallowing in a little self pity lately, but reading your post, you're preparing for near death!  LOL - 86 the walker - you will be able to walk, darlin. 

Pillows.  Lots of Pillows.  I have been on my ass (literally) this whole time because I can't recline into a full laying position so near sitting is the best I can do - I have a flat behind so it's been REALLY challenging to get and stay comfortable. 

Other tip - CASES and CASES of bottled water.  I am drinking 4-5 bottles a day and am about to up it to 6 - the more water you drink - the better you feel - it will help your body flush things out.  

Good luck to you and keep us updated!!!!  and DAMN whoever scolded you before - freaking CREEPS shouldn't keep you from asking questions!!!!  If needed - *I* will have your back!!!! 

I don't just have issues, I have subscriptions!  I'm saving on the newsstand price.......

Check out my dating mis - adventures at: http://1macdatinggame.blogspot.com/

D. Love
on 6/7/09 12:35 am
LOL @ being able to walk, darlin

I'm going to keep that walker (folded next to the recliner) just my luck to have to go to the bathroom in a hurry and have the walker down the basement; It can't hurt. I won't plan on walking with it though

Alright pillows-- writing that down...need them for the back and front to protect my stomach from my 4 year old; And the water---still time to catch it on sale. I will get cases and cases.

Yes I will keep you all updated. I look great now (with clothes on) but no one would know it with the old pics.

Girl, you know I wasn't moved by that. She was probably just having a day. I always try to give women a little leeway. No problem, I live to ask and answer questions; I've just been too busy to give this process the time it deserves, 'til now. But thanks for having my back

Congrats on the 2 weeks!!! I don't know what to expect! Some people say it was the most horrible thing ever...Doc says everybody is different. I'm pretty tough, but I guess we'll see.
# 1 MACK_MAMA
on 6/7/09 1:23 am
Dee - I can only tell you to PLAN how YOU want it to be.  I know we come on here for advice and to see what others go through - but I am a firm believer that I create my OWN fate thru my own thoughts. 

Think positive things are happening - then you MAKE them happen!!!

Good luck!!! 

I don't just have issues, I have subscriptions!  I'm saving on the newsstand price.......

Check out my dating mis - adventures at: http://1macdatinggame.blogspot.com/

D. Love
on 6/7/09 8:23 am
I agree.
MSHAMO
on 6/7/09 2:00 am - AUBURN HILLS, MI
Hi Dee, Congrats on your upcoming surgery, you will LOVE it. The only things that I see missing from your list are stool softeners, warm prune juice or prunes and anything else to keep you regular!! I had a "hard" LOL problem with the pain meds shutting my system down. Don't let it get to the point of being constipated, thought I was gonna' bust some stitches. Take good care!!
High/VSG/Surgeon Goal/My Goal/Current 257/242/170/155/141  I love my sleeve!
5' 3.5"    Plastic Surgeon: Dr. Raymond Hajjar, Bingham Farms, MI   Extended TT, muscle repair, lipo & hernia repair 2/25/09  Direct neck lift and muscle repair  4/14/09  Short scar lower face lift, more neck work and lower bleph 9/15/09
D. Love
on 6/7/09 8:35 am
That is a good point. I will have to buy ducolax pre-surgery per Doctor instructions, so I will have that. Not a fan of prunes or prune juice, but I will have to have a back up plan of some sort. Thank you.

Dee
BigCityGirl
on 6/7/09 2:16 am - San Diego, CA
Dee,
I put a flannel fitted sheet over the recliner to make sure there was no germ transfer onto my wounds.  I purchased a three-pack of large men's white undershirts and wore one under my binder to make sure that I didn't develop rashes (from sweating).  I had my LBL in the summer so it was hot at home and particularly under the binder.

I also bought a $20 raised toilet seat from Home Depot.  It's the plastic kind that fits in the bowl without requiring any tools.  I didn't use a walker.

The biggest thing you must remember is to stay mobile after this, and all surgeries.  No matter how badly you feel, get up at least every two hours (during the day when you are normally active) and walk to the bathroom or kitchen or around the yard or something for a few minutes.  This will prevent blood clots.  Make sure you have someone with you at home for the first 48 hours.

Stay ahead of your medication.  In other words, don't let your pain get to a very high level before you take a pain pill.  But be careful about not exceeding the prescribed dosage.

Finally, pain killers (narcotic drugs) are very constipating.  You will need something to get things moving again.  I use herbal tea with senna leaf (the brand I use is "Smooth Move").  There are other remedies for constipation.  Stool softeners never worked for me.

Good luck and if you have any further questions, let us know.  PM me anytime.  Sorry, you had a bad experience here a few years ago.  We're a pretty nice bunch of gals and guys now .
Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
Most Active