Did the pannilectomy...

sablouwho
on 6/6/09 7:17 am - La La Land, CA
No, a panniculectomy (panni for short) will NOT take care of the mons area. Panni removal is NOT a cosmetic operation so the results tend not to be very pleasing. Many people who've had them are very disappointed with the results and have revisions to abdominoplasty (aka tummy tuck or TT).

A TT is a different operation that costs more than a panni, WILL take care of the mons area, at least if you're using a plastic surgeon worthy of the title..

Honestly, though, for right now if I were you I'd concentrate on your WLS. You won't be ready for plastics for at around 1 year post-op for WLS.  The only exception is that if you have a pannus that is so horribly in the way  that it affects your ADL (activities of daily living) that it might be removed before you are at your goal weight. But this doesn't happen in most cases.

Good luck!
~Cindy  

Watch my first appearance on
The Doctors TV Show   (aired Dec 2008)
Plastics done by Siamak Agha, MD (lower body lift/spiral thigh lift) in Dec 2009, breast 

Cynthia's Lower Body Lift procedure by Dr. Siamak Agha
 this includes footage from my first and second appearance on The Doctors as well as footage of my actual surgery

(deactivated member)
on 6/6/09 8:14 am
Thanks aka Cindy....This is good information..!!
I'm not planning on the panni before weight loss. Just trying to get an idea on everything I'm going to need when it's ALL said and done...!!!! 
Right now, I'm looking forward to the weight loss surgery.
Looking for Santa to drop a big ole sack of MONEY down my 
chimney...!!! Although, I haven't been very good...lol

Cyndy  =)

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/6/09 11:53 am - OH
As Cindy said, the removal of the apron of skin below the belly button and removal of extra skin on the mons are two different procedures.  SOMETIMES a surgeon will be willing to combine them... but sometimes not.  IF insurance covers the panniculectomy, people often still have to pay for the mons lift out of pocket unless the surgeon can easily and quickly do it at the same time as the panniculectomy,  (My mons and panni both hung down REALLY far.  My second plastic surgeon said my mons was one of the worst he had ever seen.  Even so, insurance would not pay for the mons lift;  it cost me $1500, but insurance paid for the panniculectomy.)

It was hprrible before the plastic surgery, but looks good now (not like I was never SMO and never had PS, but I look good in my undies, and that's all I care aboutLOL).

Just FYI, if the mons hangs down a lot, the surgeon usually has to make a very low incision (in the middle of the mons, essentially) and pull the remaining area up... which means that you can lose a LOT of your pubic hair after the mons lift.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

MSHAMO
on 6/6/09 2:13 pm, edited 6/6/09 2:15 pm - AUBURN HILLS, MI
Thanks, Lora, for explaining how a mons lift is done, I had wondered about that. So I guess mine got a little more "perky" without one! LOL  On another post, you said you had a reverse TT, what is that? Hope you are doing better with your thigh wound!!
High/VSG/Surgeon Goal/My Goal/Current 257/242/170/155/141  I love my sleeve!
5' 3.5"    Plastic Surgeon: Dr. Raymond Hajjar, Bingham Farms, MI   Extended TT, muscle repair, lipo & hernia repair 2/25/09  Direct neck lift and muscle repair  4/14/09  Short scar lower face lift, more neck work and lower bleph 9/15/09
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/6/09 10:04 pm - OH
The reverse TT has the horizontal incision under the breasts instead of down low.  It is a true "T" shaped incision.  I had already had the panniculectomy and mons lift, but still had a lot of excess skin across my ribcage, so that was the onyl way to address it without gettign a weird "pulled" look that some people have it they just cut vertically and pull everything forward.

(It was my TT incision that broke down and created a large wound, BTW (but I sincerely appreciate the kind thoughts!) --. I am too afriad to have any work done on my thighs since those are notorious for breaking down.

Lora

Lisa A.
on 6/6/09 3:17 pm

I think having the right doc/surgeon  makes the difference as far as mons being lifted, My doc moved my mons to a new zip code LOL When I woke up I said hello kitty where have u been lol I had my stomach mucles tighten and hernia repaired and my tummy is flat, I am very happy with my pannislectomy, My surgeon was the best as far as making me look good,

Lisa

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/6/09 10:08 pm - OH
Mine did a ncie job, too.  I have seen and heard of some cases where the mons was very bad and the surgeon basically just pulled it up really high (instead of cutting some of the excess skin (and hair) out... and then the pubic hiar starts up WAY too high.  (One surgoen suggested the woman just have electrolysis afterwards if it came up too high!)

So for anyone who is going to have mons work done and has a LOT of sagging and/or residual fat to take care of, be sure to ask your surgeon exactly how he will do it.

Lora

(deactivated member)
on 6/6/09 11:54 pm
Butterfly_Lisa....
I have laughed and laughed so hard...Hello kitty, where have you been...??
My husband asked what was so funny, I just said, "HELLO KITTY."
Most Active