Has anyone ever been approved for BL...Ins

God's*Chosen* 23
on 6/5/09 7:37 pm - Pittsburgh, PA
Hello, I just found this forum, I have been on the site since 06....but gravitated away for a while after my RNY surgery.

I have been approved for my AP/TT, and am scheduled for July 2ND. I decided (tonight) to do some research on the BL surgery, and am wondering if anyone has been approved through their Insurance company?

Through my research I have found....that if medically necessary it can be approved (I haven't checked my Ins company yet). In my case I do believe that it will be found necessary.

I live in Pa....If you can be approved, this is the place to live to obtain the approval. I sent an email to Dr. Hurwitz office tonight to see what their thoughts are...as, If I can be approved I would love to have him do it. He is the best and his office is very close to where I live.

"I thank the Lord everyday for the new me"

Jeana

bamagirlee
on 6/6/09 12:59 am - Phenix City, AL
Hi Jeana,
I don't know the answer to your question but did want to welcome you to the site and congratulate you on your upcoming surgery! 
I've found this forum to be extremely helpful in how to prepare for surgery and what to expect afterwards.
Best of luck!
Phyllis

HW 314, SW 287, PS Weight 198, CW 181

Panniculectomy/Anchor TT   06-10-09 

7.4cc in 10cc band 

workingmommy
on 6/6/09 2:12 am
RNY on 12/10/07 with
Welcome to the board!  I have been approved for a BL by my insurance.  I have Anthem BC (I;m in CA).  Good luck to you!

April

160 lbs lost to date!
LBL: 6/10/09
BL/BA/Brachio: 7/14/09
MTL: 6/17/10

sablouwho
on 6/6/09 7:25 am - La La Land, CA
April--Oh my goodness. We are both in Ca and both have Anthem BC. Would you be willing to chat with me more (privately if you are more comfortable that way) about how you got approved for the BL?

I do NOT want to have a reduction for a few reasons:

-- my PS thinks it will just remove too much breast tissue. I have always been a little chesty, but the only time I wanted a reduction was when I was obese.
-- I'm almost 40 and haven't had kids, but want to preserve as much possibility as I can that I will be able to breast feed in case I do get pregnant. in the next few years.  A breast lift sounds less invasive than a reduction so I'd like to do as little tinkering with the breast tissue as possible.

I have a lot of painful symptoms due to sagging breasts, (nerve damage, pain in neck that radiates down into my arms)  and I've been in physical therapy for a while and it hasn't resolved. But I wasn't sure if Anthem BC would cover it because they seem to want to have breast tissue removed. (All the symptoms are documented in my chart at my PT's office).

I could use some moral support regarding how to get approved, would love to hear from you.

Thanks,
~Cindy  

Watch my first appearance on
The Doctors TV Show   (aired Dec 2008)
Plastics done by Siamak Agha, MD (lower body lift/spiral thigh lift) in Dec 2009, breast 

Cynthia's Lower Body Lift procedure by Dr. Siamak Agha
 this includes footage from my first and second appearance on The Doctors as well as footage of my actual surgery

God's*Chosen* 23
on 6/6/09 12:25 pm - Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks April,

I too am interested in finding out what steps you took to get to your approval.

If you would be so kind, please leave me a private message so that I could be clued in to what steps I might need to take.

Thank you,
Jeana

"I thank the Lord everyday for the new me"

Jeana

D. Love
on 6/7/09 1:09 am
I was not approved for a BL only a reduction with my BCBS of Michigan. My doctor was able to let me know of those carriers that would approve a BL. I will have to make an insurance switch next year. I am saving out of pocket for my thigh lift--down the road--if needed. The best thing for any insurer is to get a letter from your pcp or doctor other than the surgeon to show the medical need for the procedure. It sounds like it will work out for you. Please keep us posted.

Dee
workingmommy
on 6/7/09 5:43 am
RNY on 12/10/07 with
Hey guys,

I really wish I could be of more help, but I have to say I didn't do anything for the approval.  Dr.Katzen and his awesome staff have to take all the credit.  They were able to get approval out of the gate.

April

160 lbs lost to date!
LBL: 6/10/09
BL/BA/Brachio: 7/14/09
MTL: 6/17/10

Most Active