totally crazy to think i can travel cross-country and start school 4 wks after LBL?

(deactivated member)
on 6/4/09 4:43 am

i'm starting the process of consults for an LBL and BL plus possible augmentation.  the surgeon wants to stage the surgeries; she said she could do them as close as a couple weeks apart.  problem is:  i'd like to take care of this during my winter break from school (or else i'd have to wait until next summer, 2010).  i have four weeks off for winter break.  is it feasible to think i could do my LBL right when classes are done, have my BL plus maybe BA two weeks later, and then fly back to school (san francisco to boston, not a pleasant flight!) four weeks later?  will i be comfortable walking to classes and carrying a book bag this soon after surgery?  be honest if you think i'd be better off waiting till summer 2010!  it'll break my heart but i need to hear it from the experts!

thanks so much,
sarah

(deactivated member)
on 6/4/09 5:24 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Hi Sarah,
I understand your wanting to get everything done and pack in as much as possible in a short timeframe.  I tend to do the same but I must say I think your schedule is too aggressive.
I have not had my LBL yet (I'm scheduled  to have mine done in 7 weeks. 
From everything I've read from folks who have had the LBL they seem to still be very sore and swollen.  I wouldn't think you could then go in for another procedure.

Have you asked your surgeon if they will do the LBL and the BL at the same time.  A bunch of folks have done it that way.

I'm sure more experience folks who have had their LBL will respond as well.

Best wishes as you make your decision.
Ruth
Susan S.
on 6/4/09 5:37 am - Roselle, NJ
 I agree with Ruth - I did multiple procedures quite close together - it's a great deal to take on and I went into my surgeries in excellent shape.  I think you should spread out the procedures - having more than one body quadrant involved makes recovery more challenging.    Susan
Obesity Help Support Group Leader - The Woman Warrior
286/170/131 (starting/goal/current)
LBL - 10-30-08, brachioplasty/augmentation 2-26-09, medial thigh lift 3-16-09
Plastics - Dr. Joseph Fodero

286/170/140/131 (starting weight/goal/surgeons goal/current)

LBL 10-30-08 - Joseph Fodero
Brachioplasty/Breast Augmentation - 2=24-09

cbhjr98
on 6/4/09 4:22 pm
Agree with Ruth and Susan - if I were you and was determined to do SOMETHING on this break, I would do the BL & BA OR the LBL but definately not both. Although I am not sure I would be ready to be carrying a heavy bookbag as I was still on the 'nothing over 10 pounds' rule at 4 weeks out. Most school books weigh more than that now - LOL.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Cass

Starting BMI under 45? Join us on The Lightweight Board. 
HW:257ish / SW:205 / CW:110.4 / GW:119.99
(deactivated member)
on 6/5/09 9:50 am - Los Angeles, CA
Ohmigosh, no.

An LBL WILL wipe you out.
BigV
on 6/5/09 3:47 pm - UK
NO way, I made this mistake last year.  I had a inner thigh lift, planned to start a college course about 4 weeks later  and in the end I had to cancel the course as I was in no shape to sit in class 5 to 6 hours a day.

A lower body lift is more extensive than the thigh tuck/lift,  and it could well be 4 weeks before you can even sit down, stand up and walk about comfortably - Flying cross country with luggage and carrying book bags etc etc, will most likely be too much to handle all on your own at just 4 weeks out.

That is without even factoring in the BL/BA you want, which obviously I can't comment on being a guy!

CinC_House1987
on 6/6/09 1:53 am
Hi,

I wouldn't do it.  I agree with the others.  The surgeries are too close together, there's a risk of blood clots, and no matter how much help you have during your travels, it's exhausting.  What if something happens?  I wouldn't risk it.   You may also wish to keep in mind that these are surgeons.  They don't eat unless they perfom.  it's a business.  YOU tell THEM when you're ready.  Not the other way around.  Nothing is more important than your health.

Best of luck to you!
Bex
RNY 8/1/05
LBL 6/8/09
Most Active