Silicone or Saline....that is the question

ltlkim9424
on 6/3/09 1:49 am - Lakeville, MN
What was your decision?? I'm so unsure!!
Kelly V.
on 6/3/09 3:05 am - Galion, OH
I am going with silicone.  I have heard those fit best with people who have had WLS.  They supposedly look better and feel better.  They were a bit more expensive but I am hoping well worth it. 
megameggs
on 6/3/09 4:57 am - FL
I chose saline for 4 reasons:
1. I had a lift done with implants, and the implants were put into place at the time of the lift and then "filled up" 1 week later through a tube. That wasn't possible with silicone.

2. I haven't had kids and will breast feed if I can. Saline seemed safer since it's non-toxic.

3. Price

4. I have plenty of my own breast tissue, so it's not like my implants are THAT palpable. I have regular breast tissue on top of my saline implants, so I wasn't too worried about the way they feel.
Vist my weblog at www.megameggs.wordpress.com

Nicole P.
on 6/3/09 10:59 am - NH
I am having surgery this Friday and I have chosen to do silicone.  I personally think that they feel more natural and have heard that they settle a bit better.

Best of luck to you in whatever it is that you choose.

lap band 7/12/07, port revision 2/09
TT, lipo, BA 6/5/09

surgery
/present/goal/surgeons goal
250      148    160       150
Nicole

Lovelylady69
on 6/3/09 11:08 am - AL
I choose saline implants.  I am eight weeks out and me and my husband are both THRILLED!!

Good luck! 

Lovelylady
start 308/goal 160/ curent 145  @ 5'9"

jonelle32514
on 6/3/09 1:55 pm - Pensacola, FL
I am going with silicone because they look more natural and I do not have that much breast tissue and my Dr says that the saline may have that wrinkly look to them.  I am having a brain fart so I can't remember the term he used lol. 

287/113
SurgeryWeight/CurrentWeight
5'10"

cbhjr98
on 6/3/09 5:41 pm
Silicone - the memory gel kind - feels more realistic, won't rupture, and I"m hoping they still point north a bit when I lay down vs going under my underarms like mine does right now - LOL.  I dont have to worry about the longer incision scars on inserting them since I'm having a lift at the same time and will already be cut wide open - :-)

Cass

Starting BMI under 45? Join us on The Lightweight Board. 
HW:257ish / SW:205 / CW:110.4 / GW:119.99
ltlkim9424
on 6/3/09 9:21 pm - Lakeville, MN
Looks like silicone it is ladies!! Thanks!!  am still 6 months out as i scheduled surgery for Dec 18th but trying to get it all figured out nowso I can just be excited!!
bandhope
on 6/3/09 11:48 pm - TX
I'm schedule for June 23rd (BA). My doctor recommended silicone for me and said in most cases silicone is a better choice for wls or reconstruction because the skin and breast tissue has been thinned out. The silicone is less noticeable in someone with this issue and there is less rippling. I will tell you I went in thinking there was NO way I would go will silicone, but after hearing my doctor talk about the new silicone and feeling them compared to saline...I was sold on silicone. I've also been doing a lot of research and I'm going with silicone.

There is an awesome You Tube video where a ps shows the difference and breaks open each one. The new silicone is awesome!! When he broke it (and it was very hard to do) the gel sucked back into the implant. I found the video on justimplants.com. I think this is the site. You might have to google it a few times to find it.

My sister has saline and she wants silicone, next go around. She said they are rippling and she hears them sloshing from time to time. I will say...she looks great and she doesn't have any issues with them. She had them placed 7 years ago. I think it is like any other thing...it comes down to patients needs and desires. They both have been proven to be safe. In other countries they never took silicone off the market and there are no studies linking the silicone to any immune disorder or anything else. It was ruled out after studying it further and like I said the new silicone is much different and will be less likely to leak than the old ones. Hopes this helps. Best wishes to you.
ToniLee
on 6/4/09 12:04 pm

Hi I just went for a second consult today and am leaning towards the Silicone.  I was told it was more natural but also in my case my skin is so thin that silicone would look alot better no ripples.  The silicon is $1000 more but I don't want to have regrets and change them later.  I wasn't even considering augmentation until today's visit.  He said I would only be an A possibly a small B cup with just the lift that I just had no breast tissue left.  Personally I'm so concerned about looking fake I just want what looks the most natural.  Toni

Most Active