Getting ready for my big surgery (Lower Body)

(deactivated member)
on 6/2/09 5:51 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Hi All,

I'm making a list and checking it twice for all the stuff I need to do prior to surgery and a list of all the supplies I need to get for post op.

I know I've seen postings in the past and I've tried to keep track but if you have any great tips/advice on what I need please share!

THANKS!!
Ruth

MyQnA
on 6/2/09 7:18 am
Wanted to wish you an uneventful surgery adn a speedy recovery!

~Maxine

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. 

(deactivated member)
on 6/2/09 11:26 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Thanks!!
MelissaF
on 6/2/09 7:26 am - Northwood, IA
Hey Ruth!!!  I will tell you what I used and didn't use (thought I would need and didn't).

Actually used:

-Toilet seat riser with arms (good for the first 2 weeks especially, still use for comfort but not necessary now)
-Men's "wifebeater" white under t-shirts.  Great for length to go under compression garment.
-2 in 1 shampoo/conditioner - decreased the time at the sink washing my hair when I could not shower yet.
-body wipes (at walmart in pharmacy area by depends) to clean with until I could shower.
-Gauze that i cut down the middle 1/2 way to place around the drain sites for any leakage and for comfort to decrease irritation.
-Nonstick telfa pads for my belly button - between belly button and garment.
-large width paper tape
-lots of pillows
-protein shakes both powders and ready to drink
-cheesesticks and frozen premeasured things of chili
-extra strength tylenol to take with percocet (one 500mg tablet not two).
-alcohol wipes - helps strip drains
-stool softeners/prunes
-themometer
-nice flowy gowns and loose drawstring pants, larger tshirts etc.

Stuff not used:
-recliner (wasn't comfortable to me).  Used pillows and couch instead.
-gripper - the darn thing itself would fall to the floor.. what do u do when your gripper falls? LOL

Things to do ahead of time:

-Freeze chili/soup etc
-Clean house
-Do laundry
-Get hair colored/highlighted if you do this so not to have to sit in a chair for a while
-Paint your toes before or get a pedicure b/c u won't be able to reach them for weeks :)  No funky toes allowed :P
-have assitance at home if you can the first couple of days.
-have animals taken care of if you can't have anyone stay with u to care for them (kennel them etc).

Hope this helps!! I can't think of anything else right now but if I do, I will let you know!
Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

RNY- 12/04/06 with Dr. Matt Glasock

LBL - 4/28/09 with Dr. Rene Recinos

(deactivated member)
on 6/2/09 11:26 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Hi Melissa!
This helps big time.
I had a bunch of them but you had others I never thought of so thank you!!!

I'm flying out to CA to have this done with Dr. Agha.  I'm very lucky because Matthew is going to be able to travel with me and stay with me for the full 3 weeks (thank goodness for telecommuting.....as long as the hotel has the Internet we can work from anywhere).

I have to figure what pants to take with me......I'm think soft, big and loose to accommodate the swelling.

I'm trying to find a local (in CA) medical supply rental place so I can rent a hospital bed for the time I'm in the hotel.  I'm thinking that will be easier than getting in and out of a regular bed.  What do you think?

Thanks for the help!
Ruth

MelissaF
on 6/2/09 11:45 am - Northwood, IA
Personally?  I wouldn't.  I would just have a billion pillows and help getting in and out of bed but more than likely the first couple nights you will be in the hospital or surgery center right?  I bet you will surprise yourself.. if your arms are strong u will be fine using those.  I wouldn't rent the bed, but that is just me.
Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

(deactivated member)
on 6/2/09 12:45 pm - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Yep I'll be staying in the hospital for at least 2-3 nights.  Everyone I've spoken to says day 3 seems to be a turning point and they feel ready to go home.  I'll go to a hotel at that point.

Since I'm taking very little clothes with me I might take my 2 favorite pillows in the suitcase....
MelissaF
on 6/2/09 11:07 pm - Northwood, IA
Sounds like a good plan.  I think you are going to do great and will surpirse yourself :-)
Hugs, Melissa 

Melissa M.
on 6/2/09 2:08 pm - Seabrook, TX
I bought a pillow wedge from a medical supply store.  They had some at Bed Bath and Beyond but they weren't as thick and as firm as the one at the supply place.  It's really good to help keep you propped up and you can put a pillow on top for extra comfort.  I also got a hospital bed tray to and even though I haven't had my surgery, I love it!  It has more surface than your typical laptop trays.

Also, when I went to the medical supply store, I tried different lift chairs they had available to rent.  Some are larger and more plush and others are smaller.  Even though the larger ones were more comfy I couldn't touch the floor when I was sitting in it because I'm too short.  When I was supposed to have my surgery in March I rented one from Rentacenter.  They didn't have one at the store to try it so when they delivered it I found that it wasn't as comfortable as the ones I had tried at the medical store.  The head cushion part wasn't at the right place for me and I felt it pushed my head forward when I was in a sitting position.  Needless to say I didn't have to use it.  I decided for my upcoming surgery I am going to spend a little more and get the one that fits me best.
(deactivated member)
on 6/3/09 12:33 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Very good idea to get a pillow wedge...I'll add it to the list. 
Most Active