Weight Regain after Plastics?

lostredsock
on 5/31/09 6:24 am
I had an AL last July('08). I had a rough year and ended up putting on about 40 lbs. My arms have gotten larger, approximately 1-2 in on each arm!! I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with weight regain after surgery? Did your skin shrink back, or did you need to have the surgery redone? I am so mad at myself over this. I am doing what I can to get back on track now, and just hoping that I will not have to revisit the arm surgery again.

Thanks in advance for your help...

BigCityGirl
on 5/31/09 7:19 am - San Diego, CA

I weigh less than I did when I had my LBL by about 12 pounds and things are good.  My surgeon told me 20 pounds is the point at which things get dicey.  I know women get pregmant after TT's and LBL.  I'd be curious to see their responses to this question.

Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
dec721
on 5/31/09 7:25 am - Decatur, GA
VSG on 08/07/08 with
I had a breast reduction and tummy tuck six years ago, way before WLS but after I had lost 70 pounds on my own.  Thought I was "cured," don't you know.  Immediately began to regain.  The tummy stayed pretty flat and looks okay now, just a little crepey, but I'm 56 so everything looks a little crepey, heh heh. 
The breasts swelled some, but not much, and now are little deflated skin bags
Just ask me if I care!  After years of hauling around those enormous things, I am one ecstatic flat-chested ol' gal!  Honestly, if I were waaay younger and married, I might consider having something done with them, but I absolutely love them!  The shape is still good, and they look fine in a bra.

You don't say how old you are, but that will probably have a lot to do with how you rebound.  Best wishes!      --Dorothy

Highest weight: 292   Pre-op weight: 265   Goal met: 150   Six years out: 185 and trying to lose again!

lostredsock
on 5/31/09 9:19 am
Thanks for the replies. I am 31, so hopefully my skin has some elasticity left. Now I know why they suggested that you be at your goal weight for a yr before surgery.

If I don't get the arms back, I will have learned a VERY expensive and important lesson. Nothing can get in the way of your health goals!

Ms Shell
on 6/2/09 3:50 am - Hawthorne, CA
You know this was one of the questions I asked my plastic surgeon and I was told also about a 20lb window as far as gaining with the problem coming not from the gaining perse but in the loosing because of skin stretching etc.

If I were you I'd start some muscle training for the arms.  I've seen women with big arms not end up needing ps so just maybe with some muscle training that 1-2inch won't be a problem.

Good luck to you.

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

Most Active