Getting cold feet....AKA freaking out!!!

sisichi
on 5/29/09 10:22 pm - Manchester, PA
Yes Yes Yes, I know the feeling. I was really freaking out about a week ago, all the reasons in the book for this not to go thru. Then I looked at the other side of the coin, I have had several surgeries and if I could get thru the GB I can come thru this. I also have had guilt feelings of being selfish for spending this kind of money on myself but I am about over that issue too, then the middle child decided she was mad at me for doing this, blah, blah, blah, you know the scene.
Anyway, I am still planning on going thru with this. Just think about all the reasons you do deserve the best for yourself.
You will be fine, its a new beginning and if you need to get rid of some excess overage then by all means do it. You will be glad when you are on the other side. Best wishes, Carole
(deactivated member)
on 5/30/09 6:00 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Hi Carole,
Yep, guilt about spending that kind of money is a big factor......it's a lot of cash to pull out my retirement nest egg (especially since that egg has shrunk over the last 2 years!).

You are right......need to remind myself why I deserve the best!

Thanks!
Ruth
happy girl
on 5/30/09 5:14 pm
think of it as you are investing in yourself! 

2003 RNY, 2007 Revision Distal RNY
April 17, 2009 ~ fleur de lis TT w/Muscle Repair, Medial Thigh Lift, Ventral Hernia Repair 

MelissaF
on 5/30/09 12:29 am - Northwood, IA
Hey sweetie :)

I realize how you feel, I had the same fears going into this surgery and didn't with RNY.. B/c with RNY i truly needed it. Even though I felt I needed this surgery - I didn't HAVE to have it... what if i died?  All b/c I want my pannus whacked off and arse lifted some? But you have to realize that you are worried that makes u a more compliant pt and will do all the things you need to do to help minimize risks... You have to remember that I am a nurse and I see many that come through with flying colors and they aren't following their postop regimens etc... you will and I know you will.

You desreve to be happy with your body after your incredible weight loss efforts.  Be proud and know you will be just fine.

Have a great rest of the weekend girlie!
Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

RNY- 12/04/06 with Dr. Matt Glasock

LBL - 4/28/09 with Dr. Rene Recinos

(deactivated member)
on 5/30/09 6:18 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Hi Melissa,
As a nurse do you see people come out of 8 hr procedures??? How are they?  
I think my biggest concern is 7-8 hrs seems so long......like I'm increasing the risk.

I'm sure in a few days I'll be feeling better like I was 2 weeks ago when I was all excited.  Just have to get over the jitters.

Also I'm realizing today that the expense is weighing my mind far more than I thought it would....  like do I really need to spend a few extra thousand dollars to have my butt augmented with fat??????  Didn't I just spend  18 months trying to lose my fat @$$?????? 

Thanks for the note!
Hope you are having a great weekend!
Ruth
MelissaF
on 5/31/09 12:40 am - Northwood, IA
Aw I can tell you that what you are feeling and fearing is normal.

I myself was in the OR 7 hours and in recovery 2.5 hours.  I was pretty darn exhausted and yes your body feels these lengthy procedures, you are just wiped for a period of time.  More OR time = more postop risks, without a doubt.  That is a given.  However having SCD's (those pumpers on your legs) and walking as much as you can and using your postop incentive (breathing machine to prevent pnemonia and fever) all help a lot.  If you are relatively healthy and I assume you are b/c of your weight loss than your risks are much lower than someone heavier with assoicated risk factors.  Do you smoke?  If you do, stop now and try to for good.  Smokers have a trifold risk for healing problems and postop complications.  Otherwise.. you are on the better side of the fence my dear.... I can understand your fears like I said as I think we all try to rationalize it in our heads... its natural.  But I assure you if you are healthy and you are a good compliant patient postop, you are already ahead of the game. :)  Promise. hugs!
Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

RNY- 12/04/06 with Dr. Matt Glasock

LBL - 4/28/09 with Dr. Rene Recinos

(deactivated member)
on 5/31/09 6:08 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Thanks again Melissa for helping me feel a bit more re-assured.

You have such a great view of this being an RN.

No I don't smoke and my PCP tells me I'm in really good health.  My EKG's are always good, my blood work is always great and I'm even almost totally off High Blood Pressure meds since losing all the weight.  I think within the next 3 weeks or so I'll probably be totally off them.  WAHOO!!!!!!   Yay for me!

Thanks again....you are an angel!!

Ruth
BigCityGirl
on 5/30/09 1:04 am - San Diego, CA
As a veteran of many surgeries, I can tell you that your fears are totally normal.  I sleep very well now the night before surgery and I can only equate it to an analagy everyone might relate to.  Remember the first time, or first few times you flew in a plane?  Weren't you nervous?  And then after many flights, it's like getting in the car and going to the supermarket.  The second point is, if you have taken care of yourself and your health, selected a great surgeon, followed his orders then you should enjoy a good comfort level. 

Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
(deactivated member)
on 5/30/09 6:24 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Hi Donna,
LOL ........no way you would know this but my biggest fear in life (this fear of surgery is nothing compared to it) is flying! 
But I'll remember how many times I get into the car drive away and come back safely.....

I do believe I've selected a great surgeon and have faith that he will give me GREAT results.  I just don't want my 52 year old body not to cooperate!

I'm going to work on focusing on positive thoughts and positive energy.  Not only for the surgery but also for the flight to CA.  Yep a double whammy.......I haven't even started thinking about having to get on a plane.  I'm booking a VERY early flight out and VERY late one home in the hopes it will allow me to sleep a little on the plane.

Thanks for the note!!
Ruth
sablouwho
on 5/30/09 2:00 am - La La Land, CA
Ruth,

((((Big hug!))))

Ditto on what everyone else has said above!

((((More hugs))))
~Cindy  

Watch my first appearance on
The Doctors TV Show   (aired Dec 2008)
Plastics done by Siamak Agha, MD (lower body lift/spiral thigh lift) in Dec 2009, breast 

Cynthia's Lower Body Lift procedure by Dr. Siamak Agha
 this includes footage from my first and second appearance on The Doctors as well as footage of my actual surgery

Most Active