Getting cold feet....AKA freaking out!!!

(deactivated member)
on 5/29/09 12:09 pm - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Has this happened to anyone?
As I am getting closer and closer to finalizing my LBL and Inner Thigh Lift procedure I am getting more and more nervous.
Before I was just excited to get it done.
Now I have a knot in my stomach and having MAJOR second thoughts about surgery.

I know some of my fears are based on legitimate risks (major surgery, a lot of hours under anesthesia, potential blood loss, possible complications) but some are truly absurd like being afraid I will die because I'm doing a volunteer unnecessary surgeon and I'll never see my dream come true.  I hate myself for even having such thoughts. 
But then my logical side kicks in and reminds me that there is no reason why this BIG DREAM can't come true for me....

With past surgeries I was nervous but a normal nervous..............did anyone else have such bizarre thoughts and big time, near paralyzing cold feet?

Thanks
Ruth

Wendy_Canada
on 5/29/09 12:31 pm, edited 5/29/09 12:32 pm - Canada
Hi Ruth,

Yep i'm having the same thoughts almost word for word.  My surgery is booked for June 29th.
I can throw another one in.  I have had two total knee replacements and gastric bypass within a 13 month period and came through everything with flying colours and no complications.  So maybe my luck has run out and i'm pressing my luck. .................  But then i think...........I also was 188 pounds heavier than i am right now . I am in much better health NOW than i ever have been.

We all have these doubts mixed with the anxiousness of seeing our dream come true.  It's being normal.  Just talk to ones that understand push the negative to the back and embrase your dream cause I am.  Look how many go through plastic surgery every day with success.  I am going to be one sexy hot chick and so are YOU.

Your going to be fine and we will talk about this in a month or so ok?

Wendy (orillia Ontario Canada)

(deactivated member)
on 5/29/09 11:27 pm - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Hi Wendy,
WOW 2 BIG surgeries in a short time.......
I totally know what you mean about "pressing my luck"...I think that too.

It's comforting to know I'm not the only one having such thoughts and trying to syc myself back into getting excited about this.

Your surgery is exactly 1 month before mine.  Best wishes to you for an easy procedure and a quick/easy recovery.  Please keep me posted on how you are doing pre and post OP.

Thanks for sharing!
Ruth
cleos_mom
on 5/29/09 12:58 pm - phila., PA
Hi Ruth
 I had the same feelings, becaue it was not necessary surgery,but then I took control Of my head and I was ok and you will be too
Susan
(deactivated member)
on 5/29/09 11:32 pm - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Hi Susan,
I'm working on the "taking control of my head" part.....LOL

Maybe once I confirm my airline tickets I'll get more excited.  I'll have to work on doing that this weekend or Monday the latest.

Thanks!
Ruth
happy girl
on 5/29/09 1:10 pm
Ruth, you aren't alone!!  my irrational fear was I didn't deserve it well, at least not as much as someone who had more skin or more health issues or had struggled more with insurance approval...

It's probably a bit of the fear of the unknown.  This is really different from WLS and maybe you don't know as many people who can share the experience?

I will tell you it's tough to go through (at least for me...especially the legs, but eye on the prize kiddo, the pay off will be worth it).

2003 RNY, 2007 Revision Distal RNY
April 17, 2009 ~ fleur de lis TT w/Muscle Repair, Medial Thigh Lift, Ventral Hernia Repair 

(deactivated member)
on 5/29/09 11:33 pm - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Growing up my mom always told us keep your eyes on the prize....I really need to remember to do that! 

Thanks!!
sablouwho
on 5/30/09 2:02 am - La La Land, CA
my irrational fear was I didn't deserve it

So glad you said that. I feel like I don't deserve it either. I still WANT it, but feel guilty about it. My pannus isn't *horrible* afterall, no rashes though it does seem to cause back pain, ditto for my breasts causing back pain, but I know that there are people out there with much worse situations than mine.
~Cindy  

Watch my first appearance on
The Doctors TV Show   (aired Dec 2008)
Plastics done by Siamak Agha, MD (lower body lift/spiral thigh lift) in Dec 2009, breast 

Cynthia's Lower Body Lift procedure by Dr. Siamak Agha
 this includes footage from my first and second appearance on The Doctors as well as footage of my actual surgery

Melissa M.
on 5/29/09 1:49 pm - Seabrook, TX

I can totally relate because I have felt all of the above too.  I worry about not waking up from surgery or developing some blood clot days after surgery, etc.  There was a time that I scared myself to tears just thinking of never seeing my kids again.  There is no one who can take care of them like me!!  I finally had to snap myself out of those thoughts and just have faith that everything will come out fine and that my recovery will be great and all will be fine in the end!!  It takes some work to not let those negative thoughts take over, but I have to just to keep myself focused on this journey.  I'm all for that prize at the end!

Melissa

(deactivated member)
on 5/29/09 11:36 pm - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Hi Melissa,
I am terrified of blood clots too!   Kind of reassuring how so many of us have the same kind of thoughts and yet we are all here to talk about it.

Thanks for sharing!
Ruth
Most Active