LBL coming up 6/17 questions

Pat Rice
on 5/28/09 6:39 am - Northern, NJ
Hi Guys,
I posted over a week ago and you were all soooo kind and helpful. I am the one who is getting surgery without telling family etc.
Melissa, you particularly went above and beyond. I have been following your progress and I am so glad you are more comfortable.

I woke up in the middle of the night grabbing for my stomach thinking "oh good, no incision and drains". What the heck. I have been looking forward to this and I think I am nervous. An acquaintance told me about her experience with drains and lots of blood dripping. I am usually so tough and this is somehow getting to me. Are the drains really that bad? Will I be able to disguise them at work 12 days post-op?
Everyone talks about swelling alot, I have noticed, is this a big issue? an for how long?

Probably stupid questions...but I would really like to know how you all feel.

Thank you, Pat
HUGS, PAT  
RNY 8/26/05 preop 226.2 lowest 132.7
LBL,TT,MASTOPEXY 6/17/09 preop 141.7 removed 7 lbs current 131.5 7/14/09
zappre
on 5/28/09 7:06 am
Hi Pat.  Congratulations on your upcoming LBL.  I just had mine last Friday and all is well  While I do think that my experience is unusually good, that tells me that everyone is different and you should just prepare for the worst and hope for the best and be happy when it's not as tough as you expected.  The drains are an afterthought.  You can pin them to your binder or garment and wear a loose shirt and nobody'll notice anything.  And they're in for such a short time, big deal.  There is no blood dripping except in the actual drains and they're sealed.  I've also not swelled much (yet) but you deal with what's there.  One thing my doc recommended is something called Boiron Arnica Montana which is an herbal swelling and bruising reducer.  I have no idea if it's working, but I have no bruising and little swelling so who knows, it might.  I expect some swelling to come but it'll end and I'll have the body I want.  Eyes on the prize.  Good luck.

HW-373 / SW-352 / CW-160 / GW-185                     

Pat Rice
on 5/28/09 7:53 am - Northern, NJ
WOW Zappre,
What a magnificent transformation! You are for sure a hottie! Your PS seems to have done an amazing job.

Thank you for your reply. I just read alot of your profile. You are a fabulous writer to start with and you really have a way with words.

Eyes on the Prize ---my new motto. I am 52 and consider myself healthy. I am active and believe I can recover quickly. Here's the thing, my goal is to be back at work 12 days after surgery and I don't want anyone to know. I did not tell anyone about my WLS and was able to get back to work in 10 days ( I was fine). From what I can tell, this is alot more difficult recovery.

Are you driving yet? Can you do stairs? Are you able to dress yourself? I am relieved that the drains are not a big deal and you are right, my Doc said 2 drains out in 1 week and the last 2 out a week later. It really is not so long in the big picture.

I wish you continued, speedy recovery. Hugs, Pat
HUGS, PAT  
totalfreedom
on 5/28/09 9:35 am - Northern CA
Hi Pat,

congratulations on your next journey.  Are you having a TT at the same time? 

My experience was such that I ended up needing alot more time from recovery then I anticipated.  I assumed that i would be ready at 3 weeks because my past surgery experiences were excellent. Granted I had more done at once (thigh lift, breast lift and butt aug with the LBL/TT)  I did not walk completely upright until 8 weeks.  I went back to work at 6 weeks, but with limited hours not returning full time until 8 weeks.

Surgeons are different in their approach and we all heal differently.  My suggestion is just have a backup plan in case things don't go as you would expect.  Take very good care, eat lots of protein and take vitamins.  zinc, A, b's, calcium, C are all good ones. 

Here's hoping for a speedy recovery!

Kelli
5' 1, 221pds to 120pds, BMI: 42.5 to 22.8, Size 22WP to 2P.  
Dr. Agha-Newport Beach, CA:  
12.29.08:TT/LBL/UTL/BL/Butt Aug!
 5.10.09: Face/Neck Lift,Implants,lipo, lower eyelids,fat transfer

Pat Rice
on 5/29/09 12:33 am - Northern, NJ
Hi Totalfreedom and thank you for your reply!

I am having TT and breast lift revision at the same time. Everyday is a new emotion and it is all i think about. Thank you for sharing your experience with me. I don't really want to go back to work so soon, but I have to try. I guess i can throw something on the floor as if I have to pick it up. This way they won't wonder why I am bent over. I work with guys...doubt they will even notice.

I see you went to Dr Agha. I have read so many great things about him.
Hugs, Pat
HUGS, PAT  
susieQ227
on 5/28/09 12:03 pm - Allison, PA
Here's my two cents...
I'm 17 days post tri-procedure (tummy tuck, thigh lift, and upper arm lift. ) I had 6 drains... two for arms, two for thighs, two for belly. They are not painful, but they are a PAIN. They did not drip blood, but you need to "milk them" sometimes to push the drainage down. Also, I had one come out all by itself (I have no idea how) Anyway, I had to empty them twice daily and measure for Dr. so they could determine when to empty them. Got them out after 7 days. Very little pain on removing them and you feel like a new person when they are out. There would be no way I could have hid them and gone to work, although I know people who have done it with only two drains. Also, I thought I could return to work in 4 weeks, but It will probably be more like six weeks. It took a lot more out of me than I thought, even though I've been recovering quite nicely.
good luck and I'll be thinking about you.
Pat Rice
on 5/29/09 12:40 am - Northern, NJ
Hi SusieQ - Thank you for your reply and sharing your experience.

Everyone seems to be in agreement  that  when drains are out, they feel so much better. My job is not so physical so I will give it a try. I just hope driving isn't too tough. You have given me more peace of mind.
I am glad your recovery is going well and know it will continue.
Hugs, Pat
HUGS, PAT  
huskerfan85
on 5/28/09 12:57 pm - Colorado Springs, CO
No advise here, just wanted to say good luck.  I am having my thighs done the same day, and then flying to Sacramento on July 12th, my surgeon said it was my call to go or not but may be uncomfortable.....
Gayle  6'2" 

Melissa M.
on 5/28/09 1:22 pm - Seabrook, TX
I have my LBL on 6/16 so we'll be close together! That is too funny about you waking up in the middle of the night feeling your tummy because I did the same thing one time!  I had been so consumed with the surgery that that was all I thought and dreamed about!

I know some people have gone back to work 2-3 weeks after their surgery but I personally am taking 6 weeks off.  I had an open WLS and I swear that wiped me out for weeks.  I went back to work at 3 weeks and I could have taken six weeks easily only because I felt so tired for weeks.  Took me a while to get my energy back.  I figured if I feel better before the 6 weeks, I'll go back to work sooner but I wanted to have the option for more time should I need it.

Good luck,
Melissa
Pat Rice
on 5/29/09 12:46 am - Northern, NJ

Melissa,

That is too funny that you dreamed about it!

I feel as though I have a partner going into this next step of our journey. Which procedures are you having? I am having LBL, TT, & Breast lift revision.
Let's stay in touch through this and share experiences. I will be staying at nursing home for 1 or 2 days post op and not sure if I will be able to do stairs to get to my computer when I return. But as soon as i can I will write.

Good luck and speedy recovery!
Hugs, Pat

HUGS, PAT  
Most Active