BMIs Over 50 - Plastics b4 u finished losing?

Clirishu
on 5/27/09 1:44 am - LA
I started off as super morbidly obese and this month made one year since surgery.  I am still losing about 8 to 10 lbs a month but my panni is out of control.  Did anyone have surgery to remove their panni before they finished losing.  Any information is appreciated!
Jaime Breckenridge
on 5/27/09 2:09 am - IL
I was the same as you, super morbidly obese, 570 lbs in October 2008.  When I saw my surgeon last month I was 365.  He originally set my goal at 250.  I figured once I hit the goal he set for me I would look into the plastics but last month he said "another 50-60 lbs and we can remove the panni for you".  I was surprised and asked why so soon when I would need to lose another 50 lbs.  He told me it would be the right time because I was so heavy it would take 30-50 lbs off my sides and stomach.

So once I get to 300 he wants to remove the panni so it will not impede my wl any further.  I am having a terrible time with my back now and my PCP said it was due to several things.  One was the panni 'bouncing' around when I walk, or use stairs.  When it jiggles around and bounces is pulls on my back muscles and my upper abdominal muscles.  They feel like they are 'pulled' all the time.  So removing it after another 50-60 lbs will greatly decrease my back pain.

I would talk with your surgeon, PCP and a plastic surgeon (if your surgeon doesn't perform the pannectomy) and get their opinions on top of what you hear here.  I wold imagine it is a case by case thing and it would depend how much you have lost, how much more you have to lose and where you need to lose it from.

Good luck with your panni and I hope everything works out well for you.

-Jaime

brenda F.
on 5/27/09 3:08 pm - whitney, TX
Macomb,have you always lived there ? my ex Ronnie Fitch was from there .his uncle Bobby and aunt Patty still live there .
was 400+ june 15th,06,..now 145-150 as of may15th,09 ... wow!!!what a ride .   
Jaime Breckenridge
on 5/27/09 4:07 pm - IL
I have lived in Lewistown most of my life (35 miles east of Macomb) but we lived here 17 years ago when my wife attended Western Illinois University and since June 2008 when I decided to complete my degree work.

I do not know any of the people you mentioned but I am bad with names so maybe if I saw them.  there are only about 8K people here when college isn't in session.

-Jaime

Redhaired
on 5/27/09 2:48 am - Mouseville, FL
I know that my WLS surgeon sometimes does a panniculectomy prior to WLS so it is not unheard of.  If the panni is giving you a lot of problems then it may very well be time to do it.  You will not get the results of full TT and it may have to be revised as you lose more weight but if there are medical concerns then I would say go for it.  Talk to your WLS surgeon and talk to a plastic surgeon to see what they advise.

Red

Deb *.
on 5/27/09 5:55 am

I started off with a BMI around 74 (514lbs), and lost about 235 lbs before I had my panniculectomy.  My PS agreed that it was time to remove it since it caused me to sprain my back a couple of times and removing it would allow me to really start exercising.  She took 19lbs of skin off and I went from a size 26 pants to an 18. 

I've been stalled on weight loss for a month or so now, but still plan on losing more.  I'm about 50lbs from where I'd like to be.

Debbi

Lesley G.
on 5/28/09 7:11 am - Allegan, MI
Thanks for posting this question -- I actually came on here to post a similar one, and was glad to see yours already here.  I am about halfway to goal, and my panniculus is ridiculous!!!  I have a consult with a plastic surgeon for early next month.  I am praying that I can get this done soon.

I have questions about dealing with the insurance company, and would appreciate any wisdom anyone could share about that.  
Most Active