Medically Necessary Thigh Lift and Tummy Skin Removal

eeyore35
on 5/27/09 5:17 am - Bridgeport, WV
OK....I have some questions....

I just had my 27th surgery regarding complications with my RNY.  My surgeon stated that the hernia he just repaired might have been caused by my excess skin.  He is going to document it in my chart, but says that insurance companies look more at PCP documentation than that of a bariatric surgeon.

I am also having the rashes between my thighs like I did before my surgery and subsequent weight loss........what do I need to document this for my insurance company to possibly attain approval.  I have Federal Blue Cross/BLue Shield.

Any help that you can give would be greatly appreciated!

huskerfan85
on 5/27/09 10:49 am - Colorado Springs, CO
My insurance company wanted 6 months of medical intervention by my PCP.  They wanted to see that I had seen him for problems with the skin, they wanted documentation of rashes and stuff like that.  I did not have any of those problems, but did have balance issues due to the hanging skin, and when they saw the pictures that the plastic surgwon submitted, they approved my legs in a week.  good luck.
Gayle  6'2" 

mamapeaches05
on 5/28/09 2:06 pm - Hot Springs, AR
You mention balance issues, what did you experience? I have fallen twice, injuring my knee and ankle. I believe it's because of the poor posture.
Mama Peaches Diva on a Journey
I am somebody, I have a purpose, and I'm going somewhere
Just prazin the Lord wit my feet!

Running Man

huskerfan85
on 5/28/09 2:44 pm - Colorado Springs, CO
When I tried to jog, or even walk fast and also ride my bike the excess skin and tissue would begion to sway causing me to lose my balance, and I have to fight to stay upright.  I wrecked on my bicycle, and since then have stayed on the stationary bike at the gym...even then, when I pedal fast, the bike sways.....I have also almost fallen when trying to hike... I put all of that in a letter stating that both my PCP and WLS said the only medical intervention was to remove it.  I also talked about the pain and the pulling when I tried to jog, walk fast, etc.
Gayle  6'2" 

mamapeaches05
on 5/28/09 3:08 pm - Hot Springs, AR
Thanks for sharing. We had our consult on Tuesday with the plastic surgeon. He will do the TT first. He thinks we will get the approval for that without any problems. I am tempted to change my name to Sis. Hang because everything is hanging, boobs, forearms, tummy, butt, thighs, and crotch.  I have posture issues from all the hanging stuff. My back hurts a lot, I keep having these pains that feel like electrical shockwaves. Also when I sit down for a while my right side from the waist down goes numb. I think this maybe due to some much of the excess resting on a nerve.
Mama Peaches Diva on a Journey
I am somebody, I have a purpose, and I'm going somewhere
Just prazin the Lord wit my feet!

Running Man

Most Active