Consultation Advice

sarah141
on 5/26/09 5:51 am - Fort Bragg, CA
I just made an appointment for an initial consultation with PS.  I am interested in Arms, Breasts, TT & inner thigh lift.  I've lost 116lbs. 

I'm just wondering if anyone can offer me questions I NEED to ask during the visit .  I really appreciate any advice you can offer.

Thank you so much! 
 - Sarah    (Don't tell anyone I'm a secret ninja warrior!)
Visit: ThugRadio.Net, twitter.com/ThugRadio, sarah-anderson.artistwebsites.com/

Redhaired
on 5/26/09 5:58 am - Mouseville, FL

You've got mail!

Sahrramon
on 5/27/09 1:16 am - Atlanta, GA

Hi Red,

Can you send me that list. 

I'll start my consultations next month.  But no looking to have surgery until December timeframe.

Thanks!!

Susan S.
on 5/26/09 6:34 am - Roselle, NJ
 Ask about staging of mulitple procedures - which s/he would do first - combining procedures (it reduces cost to combine - but makes recovery more challenging) and general guidelines.  You should also commit now to being as fit as you can be going into plastics - I trained hard for a full year - was solidly as lean as I can be - and very fit - with very good nutritional status.   Being super healthy made recovery - which is a challenge - much better for me.    I started with an LBL - 4 months later did the brachioplasty combined with breast augmentation (there were two surgeons who were willing to combine all of these in one procedure - I'm glad I went with the most conservative one who staged them) followed by just a few weeks later - a medial thigh lift (lots of gory pictures on my profile)......because my brachioplasty went so well.      You want a plastic surgeon who has had lots of experience with massive weight loss patients - our skin and healing issues make us special.    Good luck with it.   I'm so glad it's all behind me!    Susan
Obesity Help Support Group Leader - The Woman Warrior
286/170/131 (starting/goal/current)
LBL - 10-30-08, brachioplasty/augmentation 2-26-09, medial thigh lift 3-16-09
Plastics - Dr. Joseph Fodero

286/170/140/131 (starting weight/goal/surgeons goal/current)

LBL 10-30-08 - Joseph Fodero
Brachioplasty/Breast Augmentation - 2=24-09

miniplk
on 5/26/09 6:39 am - Davie, FL
Hi Sarah

You are very smart to ask this question. There are many questions you need to ask.

The doctors training and credentials?
Experience with weight loss surgery patients?
Ask for patient references as well as pictures.
Ask what methods the surgeon uses for each procedure. There are different ways to do each procedure. Make sure you understand the differences before you choose your surgeon.
Location of surgery?
Length of surgery?
Type of anesthesia?
Aftercare?

The list is endless.

Go on www.drshuster.net
My surgeon, Dr. Bernard Shuster has a section of his website devoted to patient education. It is very important that you become an educated consumer. Check out his reviews on the OH website.

Good luck
Paula
Siamak Agha MD PhD
on 5/27/09 12:13 pm - Newport Beach, CA
There is a whole section of my website allocated to different post-bariatric plastic surgery procedures, including the newer techniques specific to weight loss patients.  Also, you can read about recovery after Body Lift under patient resources, and preparation for surgery and nutritional optimization under learning section....

See www.plasticsurgerycal.com

You can also download a copy of my patient guide to post-bariatric body contouring at www.plasticsurgerybodycontouring.com/b/

Regarding your choose for plastic surgeon, look for
- Board certification in Plastic Surgery
- Specilization in Post-bariatric Plastic Surgery
- Publications in the field of Post-bariatric Plastic Surgery
- But most importantly, look at his/her gallery- look for experience and results.  This is the most important assessemnt since what you see is what you get...

To see my gallery, view:

http://www.plasticsurgerybodycontouring.com/index.php/gallery/post-bariatric/

Siamak Agha MD PhD
Board Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society of Plastic Surgery
Specializing in Post-Bariatric Plastic Surgery
www.plasticsurgerycal.com

MSHAMO
on 5/28/09 7:29 am, edited 5/28/09 7:32 am - AUBURN HILLS, MI

I was lucky, my PS was referred to me by 3 different Dr's. My PCP refers her PS patients only to him. Good luck with your quest!!

High/VSG/Surgeon Goal/My Goal/Current 257/242/170/155/141  I love my sleeve!
5' 3.5"    Plastic Surgeon: Dr. Raymond Hajjar, Bingham Farms, MI   Extended TT, muscle repair, lipo & hernia repair 2/25/09  Direct neck lift and muscle repair  4/14/09  Short scar lower face lift, more neck work and lower bleph 9/15/09
Most Active