burning calories vs. swelling?? Please help

2kristie
on 5/26/09 11:09 am - , MO
Ok, I am 12 weeks out (TT no muscle tightening) and I am still swelling by the end of the day.  I can see a change in measurements but I still have this swelling.  Yes, I have taken all the bromelain, arnica, vitamins, minerals and protein but I still have a hard time w/ swelling.  I have been prone to this but I didnt expect to still be numb by the end of the day or have the swelling in my hips/thighs.  I am working on my diet too and getting turned around a little more but... 

My question is, I need to continue to lose (some of which I gained from inactivity during recovery) and want to work out harder to get this done, do I continue to wait for the swelling to keep going away and just do 3-4 times a day 30 minutes (just maintaining) or do I just sacrifice the swelling and go "gang busters" on the cardio and weights.  I feel like I am ready to push myself harder but I have been getting negative results w/ the swelling so I back off.  I also do not feel real strong in my core muscles yet I want to just push through all this and go for it...Biggest Loser style. 

What do I do?? 
MelissaF
on 5/26/09 10:41 pm - Northwood, IA
Hi Kristie - what does your doctor suggest? I know some people have looked into lymphatic massage as your lymph system is disrupted during surgery and sometimes needs a help being kick started back in the right direction.  I can imagine how frustrating this is as I am an avid gym gal and would be very frustrated.  I am fearful of this myself when I start to workout again.

Hang in there.. let us know what you figure out!
Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

RNY- 12/04/06 with Dr. Matt Glasock

LBL - 4/28/09 with Dr. Rene Recinos

islander
on 5/26/09 11:43 pm - Middletown, RI
Same story.  Still some swelling & numbness.  Sometimes in the a.m. when I awaken.

Wow, 3-4 times a day for 30 min each!  Or did you just mean 30 min. total?  The former is a lot.  I do about 30 min./day (theoretically speaking), sometimes more when I ride my bike.  I find that wearing a body shaper helps with the swelling, but sometimes I ditch it in the name of comfort.  I tried sleeping in it but...

We're still healing at this point.  My PCP says that that area is difficult to heal from the inside as the large intestine is there & always in motion.  I say be kind & gentle.  Certainly just the fact that there is swelling & numbness means we have not yet fully recovered.

I'd contine to take it somewhat easy and try alternating exercise periods.  See what happens.  My surgeon cleared me for "anything," but I'd rather slow & steady.   The swelling is also quite uncomfortable- I fear a major explosion. 

2kristie
on 5/27/09 2:21 am - , MO
I feel like I am recoverying from pregnancy again!!!  I didnt expect that!!  I didnt expect to still be feeling sore on my insicion when I push myself too far...sometimes its just standing and walking around too much and I will feel soreness or feel very weak in my stomach muscles and I didnt even have muscle tightening!!  Its not constant but just reminds me of recovering from my two C-sections.  It normally takes me 6 months to a year to feel all back to normal.  It's like just when I feel fine but then when I feel better I didnt know that was even possible.  So, I guess I am not healed yet and just need to take it slow.  Unfortunately, my diet is not going very slow...I just didnt realize how much I rely on exercise to keep my weight under control...even stay sane.  

So, I will continue to do my exercise and try to eat better and see what I can get accomplished this year and then hope I am not bigger this time next year...so frustrating.  
MSHAMO
on 5/27/09 5:16 am - AUBURN HILLS, MI
I am about 13 weeks out w/extended TT w/muscle repair and a baseball size umbilical hernia, so I'm not so concerned that I, too, am still feeling the need for support on my tummy. But, I don't seem to have that up & down swelling going on like you do, but then again, I'm not exercising much. Just walking for 45 min to 1 hour on occasion. I wonder if the swelling has to do with the exercise, I have seen other posts saying that. Good luck, Nancy
High/VSG/Surgeon Goal/My Goal/Current 257/242/170/155/141  I love my sleeve!
5' 3.5"    Plastic Surgeon: Dr. Raymond Hajjar, Bingham Farms, MI   Extended TT, muscle repair, lipo & hernia repair 2/25/09  Direct neck lift and muscle repair  4/14/09  Short scar lower face lift, more neck work and lower bleph 9/15/09
Most Active