Does your band have to be unfilled for ps?

bandhope
on 5/24/09 11:15 pm - TX

I was wondering if  I have to be unfilled (lap-band) for BA or BL? Also, is there something special that has to be done for a band patient (smaller tubing down the throat), for surgery?

Redstrawberri B
on 5/25/09 12:47 am - Dallas, TX
Hello, My Dr. did not require me to have my band unfilled . There was nothing special that I had to have done.
bandhope
on 5/25/09 2:33 am - TX
Awesome! I'm at a perfect spot right now and don't want to mess with it. Thanks so much for your reply.
-Mari-
on 5/25/09 4:43 am
Hello,
I did not have my band unfilled, but I can see why you may want some, out. It's hard enough just eating, never less concentrating on small bites, etc. LOL No special things with the anesthesia, either.
 Mari  Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels!
Lisa A.
on 5/25/09 12:53 pm
I had nothing done with my band for the BA or TT. Infact I had a fill 12 weeks after my TT,
Lisa
DrL
on 5/26/09 11:36 am, edited 5/26/09 11:36 am - Houston, TX
I leave that up to the bariatric surgeon, and that being said 8 out of 10 want it emptied.  Why? 
1) To allow for the increased nutrition and protein you will need after the larger surgeries like LBL.

2) to minimize problems that can come from nausea/vomiting after anesthesia.

3) patients with TT and muscle tightening often feel full early and don't need the added restriction of the band limiting their calorie intake.

Those things being said, I think those undergoing smaller procedures  like breast only, or arms, may not benefit so much from being unfilled. 
John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
Most Active