Pain Meds - How To Not Get Addicted??

bamagirlee
on 5/23/09 8:47 am, edited 5/23/09 8:47 am - Phenix City, AL

I've probably seen too many Dr Phil and Oprah shows, but how do you take these very strong pain pills for a couple of weeks or more after surgery and not get addicted?

I have a fairly high tolerance for pain and discomfort so I tend to 'tough it out' . When I had my lap-band surgery the recovery room was the last time I had something for pain. I had a little discomfort for a few days but nothing I considered bad enough to take pain meds.

I've had a couple of other surgeries but this is going to be by far the most invasive and I know I'll need the pain meds but I don't want to be addicted to them. I see so many of you post saying to take them and not hurt, but in the back of my mind I'm a little afraid to take them on a regular basis. Any tricks or words of wisdom? 

Now before you go thinking I'm tough as nails....if I ever get a headache I'm searching for the Tylenol bottle! For some reason that is one pain I cannot handle!  

Phyllis

HW 314, SW 287, PS Weight 198, CW 181

Panniculectomy/Anchor TT   06-10-09 

7.4cc in 10cc band 

# 1 MACK_MAMA
on 5/23/09 10:00 am
Damn - now you got me feeling guilty about looking FORWARD to the Viodin train.......

**clears throat** Hello, My name is Mack and I am a drug seeker........

Anybody holdin????

Sorry - I'm known to be a lil goofy - I see your point - but I have no answer whatsoever for you - I have several friends who have also had WLS and we are all drug seekers - sleeping pills, alcohol - pick an addiction transfer behavior........

I don't just have issues, I have subscriptions!  I'm saving on the newsstand price.......

Check out my dating mis - adventures at: http://1macdatinggame.blogspot.com/

MSHAMO
on 5/23/09 10:09 am - AUBURN HILLS, MI
I have never been one to take ANY kind of pain pills or aspirin, but I have been taking Vicodin for 3 months for my hernia and muscle repair. I'm not addicted, even tho my sister asks me about that, they just seem to take the edge off that scratchy feeling. I'm all for no pain!!
High/VSG/Surgeon Goal/My Goal/Current 257/242/170/155/141  I love my sleeve!
5' 3.5"    Plastic Surgeon: Dr. Raymond Hajjar, Bingham Farms, MI   Extended TT, muscle repair, lipo & hernia repair 2/25/09  Direct neck lift and muscle repair  4/14/09  Short scar lower face lift, more neck work and lower bleph 9/15/09
sel
on 5/23/09 11:36 am - colchester, CT

As long as you take the pain medications as they are ordered and only as long as you really need them you should not worry about getting addicted.

Sher

CoronaRN
on 5/23/09 3:42 pm - Huddleston, VA
I just had a tummy tuck on 5/20.....
I can tell you from experience.....TAKE YOUR PAIN MEDS!

The pain meds by no means takes the pain away....it just dulls it so you can get up and get to moving!
I have been able to scale back from taking 2 every 4 hrs to taking 1 every 4 hrs.  I think as long as you take them like you are supposed to, you will do fine.  If you are in pain, you wont feel like getting up and walking....or doing anything for that matter!

Tanya
(deactivated member)
on 5/23/09 5:35 pm - Los Angeles, CA
I have this EXACT same fear every time I hit the Vicodin bottle.

My gastric bypass was a BREEZE compared to the plastics, I admit.

I also have mood issues with hydrocodone - I get, um, irritable and *****y. WAY more so than usual, so I have to watch it. And in spite of that, I have a sutured hip right now, so screw it. I'm in pain, I'll take my meds.

Also, I was getting close to OD-ing on Tylenol and our livers ain't cut out for too much a day!
sisichi
on 5/23/09 6:23 pm - Manchester, PA
I have been on pain meds for other surgeries, I am a big baby with pain, but have never had a problem getting off of them. I think when its time to drop them you will know, sort of feeling like you don't want the goofy feeling anymore and want to get more active?
Good luck on the 10th. Carole
Loris
on 5/23/09 9:04 pm - Midlothian, VA
When a person is in pain and and takes medication they do not get high.  All the medicine goes to releiving the pain.  After the pain goes away they know to taper off if they start getting a buzz of the pills.  Since you don't like the idea of pills you don't need to worry.  You will heal better if you don't ride the pain out.  In the beginning take it as precribed.  At some point take it at night to sleep and as needed.  You will know.  My motto is there is no medal for bravery.  Go with the flow.  Trust your body and good sense.  Loris

Loris  344/119@ 5'2" Below Goal                    
                                     Lower body lift  10/17/2007
                                     Upper body lift     1/23/2008

ShirleyG
on 5/23/09 9:49 pm - HALFWAY BETWEEN ATLANTA AND BHAM , AL
Hey Phyliss
I had full TUMMY TUCK with muscles last summer and beleive me girl the pain pills and muscle relaxers he gave to to take were taken every so many hours as he told me to
I have a high tolerance for pain and although  took it for one week as he said on time each time,
i couldnt have made it without it .
On the Monday of the next week my body knew and i knew I didnt need that so i took Tylenol and was ok.
I didnt even considered not taking it after on day three I thought i could stretch out the times and go longer..OUCHHHHHHHHH :)
You will be fine girl just take it as Dr says and you will know when to stop..
Wishing you a quick recovery
Shirl
BigCityGirl
on 5/23/09 11:57 pm - San Diego, CA
I guess everyone tolerates pain differently.  For me, and I had four rounds of plastics, I have never taken more than 7 or 8 percosets after any surgery.  In the interest of full disclosure, I had the OnQ pump with my LBL and that really offset pain in a big way. 

I understand your concerns and I believe there is a real risk of addiction with pain meds.  Take them if you need them and then stop when the pain is at a tolerable level.  Don't suffer with a high pain problem but don't continue using these things if you can get by with tylenol or aspirin.

Good luck, don't worry, everything will work out fine.
Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
Most Active