Help a newbie out? (long-ish)

tiggrpt
on 5/24/09 11:20 am - Sabattus, ME
Hi all,
I'm a newbie to this board and I have some questions, if anyone wouldn't mind helping me out.

I am just over 13 months out from my RNY.  I've been maintaining at about 119-120 since Dec '08.  I am very pleased with my weight loss but am now having issues with the extra skin. (DUH, right.....140 pounds later!)  ANYWAYS....I have had virtually NO skin rash issues.  My panni isn't that large but I have quite a large "muffin" which I'd love to get rid of!!  I also have the "bat wings", "lemons in tube socks" for breasts, and "sharpei" inner thighs.  The arms and the muffin bother me the most.  I'm very active and even started running until I developed back pain due to the muffin skin bouncing around so much.  I've tried supports, spanx, all kinds of things to help stop it from bouncing around but I still have the back pain.  I've even been seeing a chiropractor due to the pain. 

My PCP felt I should see a plastic surgeon, so I called to set up an appt.  Well.....after a few questions from a "receptionist", she wouldn't even schedule a consult for me as she didn't think I would qualify for my insurance to pay and I can't afford to privately pay.  

So.....(after all that long winded stuff....)  Did any of you run into this?  Will my back pain help me to convince the insurance that this is medically necessary?  Did any of you get your surgery covered without skin rashes?   Any ideas how I can get a consult (I'm planning to call some other offices, but the first one I called was very highly recommended)   I'm truly frustrated!  

Thank you all for your suggestions and help!!!!!!
Ruth

Ruth                  "It's never to late to LIVE HAPPILY EVER AFTER!"

Pat M.
on 5/25/09 12:32 pm - Lewiston, ME

Ruth, i checked ohs questions on insurance companies, and most of them said  that they had to have some form of a rash or yeast infection before they would even look at you .The archives went as far back as 1992..  I think that because you now have back pain due to extra skin  that the insurance would consider you..  What kind of insurance do you have? what do you mean you have a muffin and panni please speak my language LOL

I remember  Dr.Logging's PA Michael Gauthier telling me that  before your year is up and you have a rash or yeast infection and you see your PCP and they documented it we have a good chance the insurances will cover it

.. I think at some point we are all going to be in your shoes.. I do hope you hear from someone that's been there already... We all need answers to this. I hate to say this but I bet you anything that if you have MAINE CARE you'ld be covered..........

Keep in touch... You be the HERO for us all... I will be there in a few more months my self.

Jane E.
on 5/26/09 1:30 am - Lawrenceville, GA
VSG on 01/04/08 with
Getting plastic surgery covered is very difficult.    I knew that I would not have any coverage, so I investigated a dr in Mexico that the VSG surgeon recommended (also in Mexico).   I had surgery with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico on April 16, 2009.   So far I am very pleased.  I have one arm that will take time to heal as I had a large hematoma (a complication that did not have anything to do with surgeon work).  Dr. Sauceda is a very  nice man, very attentive and kind.  The normal stay in the hospital is 3 days, I stayed 5 because of the complication.  I stayed a total of 11 days in Mexico and he visited me everyday in my hotel room.  The cost is all inclusive.   I had a thigh lift, tummy tuck, arms, breast lift with aug.  all for $13000.

The cost here in the States would have been about $40,000.

Just something you might want to consider.

Jane

tiggrpt
on 5/26/09 5:28 am - Sabattus, ME
Thanks to both of you!  I appreciate the infor and concern.  I have Aetna and Tricare for insurance and I've done some checking.  Aetna says nothing about the surgery if pain is involved. They want to see documentation of skin rashes, etc.......which, of course, I don't have, at least for now!  Aetna also says that your panni (skin on lower abdomen) has to hang lower than the mons pubis (I'm close, but not quite!).  They say nothing about the "muffin" (just above the belt line...kinda hangs over my pants and makes my shirt sizes run higher than they need to!).  

I truly wish I could afford to go to Mexico...I'd be there IN A FLASH!!!!!!  I know there are some great surgeons down there!   If I could afford it, I'd be getting a LBL, thighs, arms, and breasts done..........and whatever else!  haha!

Guess I need to start saving and checking around with more surgeons!

Thanks for your help!!!!!!!

miniplk
on 5/26/09 6:32 am - Davie, FL
Hi Ruth

Congratulations on the weight loss. Plastic surgery is definetely the finishing touch after all your hard work. Unfortunately insurance coverage is slim to none for plastic surgery. My plastic surgeon, Dr. Bernard Shuster offers many financing plans to his patients. Payments are spread out over time and makes the procedures affordable. You might want to look into that option if insurance is a bust.

Dr. Shuster does an online consultation for those traveling from out of town. Check out his references on the OH site.

Good luck, Paula
Most Active