So many things happening now. I've got a question...

bradshaw0506
on 5/23/09 12:34 am - Chicago, IL
Hey there,

Things are definitely different 20 days later.  My skin is waking up and all tingly , once in a while I'll get a shot of lightening go through my groin or down my leg.  The space needle wa**** by lightening last week and for some reason I could totally relate!

I definitely stand more upright but if I sit too long I'm stiff and a little more bent over than I would like but it's part of the process, right?  If I do too much then my body gets tired quickly so I still must take it a bit slower.  Lots of rotating between walking and moving around and sitting on my my booty.  It's actually rather annoying since I'm an "on the go" kind of girl...I'm like the energizer bunny!

I find myself being safe with my body because I feel so vulnerable.  I live in the city and take public transit everywhere.  Other riders are not so nice and will shove you around, I'm so afraid of being knocked to the ground...gawd would that hurt!

My binder....out the window it went!  The one I received in the hospital is a goner.  I went for a check-up with my surgeon and I purposely left the thing on to show him how it fit and what it was doing for my compression, and would you know he finally agreed with me that it wasn't working.   I now get to wear compression stockings (like panyhose) and the wrap around binder.  It seems to be doing the job as far as keeping things evenly distributed so I really like this much better.  Although it sucks to wear bright white medical grade pantyhose when it's 90 degrees outside by the way!

So my question.

I was told to use Mederma w/ SPF 30 but I'm wondering if I could go back to the tanning salon on a part time basis as long as I use sunscreen on my scars?  I'm desparate!  Although there's the airbrush tanning that's an option,  

Any thoughts? 

I MY DS!!!

MelissaF
on 5/23/09 1:08 am - Northwood, IA
Good Morning!!!!

Can I say how much I *DO* relate to your post??? I am glad I am not alone!!

Ok the nerve thing.. 2.5 weeks out this was me, it actually had me in tears.. I was "sizzingling" and "zinging" evyerhwere except belly button (still numb there).  I even called and got more pain meds - remember my post?  I am still needing them at night but the sensitivity DOES get better so hang in there.  I am walking now 2 miles a day and muscles are now sore too- go figure, I haven't been using them in forever!

I am like you "ON THE GO" person to the extreme so this really is irritating me b/c my brain wants to go but my body will say "enough is enough" SIT DOWN.  I get so irritated.  We just have to listen to our bodies.  My surgeon told me that.. above all else.. LISTEN.  So be sure you listen, our bodies are amazing and they do give us signals to let us know what is going on and to slow it down some.  Soon we will be at our max.. its just gonna take a few months, this process isn't a quick one unforutnately.

I am glad to hear your are standing more upright.  I was pretty upright at one week but I do realize that I cannot roll my shoulders back and stand really straight yet without pressure.  It is part of the pcoress.  I also feel very vulnerable and guarded in public situations.  Very protective and AHH watch out, don't hit me or bump into me.. I get worried too. You are not alone there.  The first time I went to the grocery store it was crazy!

Glad you figured out your binder situation.  That is good!  I bet you are a lot more comfortable now.  You will finally get the correct compression.  My doc also suggested geting spanx/assets (target carries those) or All Amour (the kids wear for sports at sporting good stores).  I am gonna look into that also.  See if I can't rotate some.  I do NOT like not wearing my binder, soon as I take it off the incisions around my pubic bone and going upwards SWELL huge.  Sigh.. so that is not an option for me yet.  Otherwise swelling is pretty good for me.  I know I am not totally not swollen as I have almost a ledge coming off me above my pubic area of swelling but I know it will go down in time.

As for scaring I am using a product called Newgel (I LOVE IT) and man does it work. You can also use mederma or vitamin E oil and gentle finger tip pressure massage to the incision line to help flatten it. 

As for the tanning salon -- I know for a fact that is a definte NO.  B/c your scars WILL get darker even with SPF. I was told NO sun exposure or tanning for 1 full year b/c of that.  And even when you do get sun exposure at a year you have to wear the highest SPF you can get.  

I would stick with airbrushing for now.

My scar stuff you can get ebay.  google Newgel or on ebay Newgel.  Stuff is so awesome.  You just stick and restick and never losses it stickiness with me.. so comfortable, felt on the outside so doesn't stick to clothes.  I do have a profile pic with them on.

Glad you are doing better!!!  Have a safe memorial day!!
Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

RNY- 12/04/06 with Dr. Matt Glasock

LBL - 4/28/09 with Dr. Rene Recinos

trudie74
on 5/23/09 11:55 pm - Round Rock, TX
Where do you buy the Newgel?

Most Active