Bra sizing after surgery

trudie74
on 5/24/09 12:02 am - Round Rock, TX
I will be having alot of work done in June...Thigh lift, Extended TT, and last but not least a BA with lift.  I see alot of you say you wear a sports bra all the time after surgery, but how did you get one ahead of time when you weren't sure which size to get?  Did you wait and go out post op?  I would hate to be trying on bras after all the work I am having until at least a couple weeks out, and isn't that too long to go without?

Also, I remember a post from Melissa (I think?) about an awesome binder.  Will my binder for a TT be the same as the LBL?  Will I even need one?  I forgot to ask my surgeon about the binder, and don't want to wait until Tuesday after the holiday to call and find out!

(deactivated member)
on 5/24/09 1:28 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
For the first few weeks after surgery you will be in a surgical bra.  When I was able to switch to a sports bra I had no idea what size to get since I was still swollen....so I went to the store and tried a bunch on.  It has to be snug fitting to hold everything in place (you don't want to be jiggling or bouncing all around after surgery).  I got one nice and snug and now that all my swelling is gone it fits me perfectly so I use it as my walking/jogging bra.

FYI - Once all my swelling was gone (around week 10) I had to try on so many bras to find one that fit correctly and was comfortable for the new girls.  They are very happy now (and so am I).

Best wishes on your upcoming surgery.
Ruth
sel
on 5/24/09 9:55 am - colchester, CT

I came out of surgery bandaged and wrapped with ace bandages around my breasts. My surgeon had told me at my preop visit to buy sports bras  and by assessing my preop breast size he told me to get size 36C which happened to be the size I was wearing anyhow. ABout three days after surgery I was told to unwrap bandages and could shower and  start wearing a sports bra 24/7 for at least 6 weeks. I did wear one longer than  that but now at almost ayear out from surgery I do not sleep in a bra at all, but do wear regular bras during the day. I would talk with your surgeon about what he wants you to do, I am sure he will want you to wear some sort of garment for several weeks post op and to only take it off to shower.

Best of luck.

Sher

trudie74
on 5/24/09 11:58 pm - Round Rock, TX

Good to know...I will be calling tomorrow anyway to ask about a binder for the TT/thighs, so I will ask about the sports bra too.  Thanks for the info!

Cindy C.
on 5/28/09 8:41 am
Believe it or not, I wore a regular bra the day after surgery!  My surgoen does not believe in sport bras.  He said to buy something with good support.  It could be w/ or w/o wires.  I bought both.  The wires did not bother me.  As for size.  I bought two different cup sizes just to be on the safe side.  Make sure the store allows you to return bras.  I bought mine fro Walmart and Fashion Bug.  I was warned not to spend much money at this stage.  Most cheap bras offer good support initially, they just tend to wear out eally fast.  I'm looking forward to shopping VS semi-annual sale!  Good Luck.

Cindy

Height 5' 1"   WLS on 12/05/07      Plastics on 04/27/09                                 

Most Active