Healed Scars

(deactivated member)
on 5/22/09 12:34 pm - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Hi all!
Just wondering if anyone who has already had their Brachioplastry, or Inner Thigh Lift and is 6 months or more post op would mind sharing pictures of what the healed scars look like?

I'm so anxious about how the scars on my arms will look in a few more months I can't wait until the redness is gone!!

Thanks
Ruth

MelissaF
on 5/23/09 1:21 am - Northwood, IA
My surgeon says the arm scars are typically redder longer than others.  Are you putting any sort of silicone sheets on them?  I would totally look into that if you are not.  I am using Newgel and love it.  You can google it or look for it on ebay.  It SOOO helps I can't even tell you how great the stuff is.  Worth every penny.  Now someone else on here was using it on her arms and she felt it was loosing its stickiness some.. for me not at all.  But if you are using wraps it shoudl stay just fine.

Are you massaging the incisions also with gentle fingertip massage?

I know the redness can last a year with your arms... hang in there!  My friend had hers done while the scars are still very noticable, they aren't as red anymore.  
Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

RNY- 12/04/06 with Dr. Matt Glasock

LBL - 4/28/09 with Dr. Rene Recinos

(deactivated member)
on 5/23/09 1:48 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Hi Melissa!
I was using silicone sheets....I've tried 3 brands and Newgel was one of them but I could not get any to stay on all day.  They keep falling off as I use my arms.  I first started using them because they did such a GREAT job on the incisions all around my breasts...I was thrilled with the results.  So I've given up on using them (gave up about 2 weeks ago).

I'm using scar cream and moisturizers up the wahzoo and nothing is helping with the area around the elbow. 

I'm at a lose as to what to try next on the arms but overall starting to wish I had never had the procedure. 

I'm ready to give up on the whole thing and just wait to do a revision at the end of the year.

Because I'm so unhappy with this I am having very serious doubts about having the inner thigh surgery.  I'm thinking that will be even worse.  I guess this is just all my punishment for ever letting myself get so heavy and stay that heavy for so many years.  I wish I could tell every kid in America to get healthy and not let this happen to them!

Oh well......guess I'm just feeling a little down about it today..
Have a great weekend!
Ruth
MelissaF
on 5/23/09 1:36 pm - Northwood, IA
Awww - I think you need a .

Sorry to hear you are feeling down sweetie.  I know the scars on the arms are something to really get used to and do not fade quickly.  I have also heard this with the thighs so I can totally understand your fears... My friend who had hers was must frustrated with her arms but now that she is a year out she is so glad she did it and the scars have very much lightened now.  So just give it some time.  It is too bad that the silicone products wouldn't stick.  I think it is because we use our arms for everything and the skin is more fragile there.  Where as our toroso can be pretty much isolated by the garment.  I donno maybe not just some thoughts..

Do not think of this as a punishment girlie.. I know how you feel and have thought the same thing.  However just think if you were never obese how different you would be today.  God has a plan for all of us and I know I would not be the person I am today had I not lived the life of an obese person.  I think it has humbled me and made someone who appreciates obesity b/c I lived that life and can now helps others in my shoes.  Never look down upon yourself my friend, love you for who you were, who you are and who you are to this day, the beautiful person u are.  Everything in our life happens for a reason... firm believer in that saying over here.

Hope tomorrow is a brighter day for you!  Hang in there.  We are always here to lend an ear or provide a hug.
Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

(deactivated member)
on 5/23/09 10:11 pm - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Thanks for the hugs Melissa.
I'm in better spirits this morning tho still a bit disappointed by it.
I agree with you 100% as to why the gel sheets don't stay on the arm.  I plan on using them again on my tummy when my LBL is done, I'm sure they will stay on under the garment.

Hope you have a wonderful day!
Ruth
MelissaF
on 5/24/09 1:15 am - Northwood, IA
I talked to my friend today who had her arms done by my doc.. I asked her how long she wore the newgel.. she said 2 weeks b/c they just woudln't stay on - just like you said.  She turned out great and was rather red and in the begininng so just hang in there sweetie.. I think this is a long prcoess of healing with the arms and thighs.

I wouldn't let your arms dictate your thighs.  If you really want them done I would go forth if I were you - I know at this point it seems disappointing and is interfering with your desire to do that.. but just wait a bit before you make that decision...

Hang in there.. have a good weekend.  HUGS!
Hugs, Melissa 

ShirleyG
on 5/23/09 9:56 pm - HALFWAY BETWEEN ATLANTA AND BHAM , AL
What does the GEl strips contain that makes them work better that reg Vitamin C& and E oil ? My surgeon recomends that lotion..
Thanks .
Shirl
(deactivated member)
on 5/23/09 10:13 pm - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
They flatten out the scar.  I used Mederma scar cream on the incision and then put the gel strip over the incision.  It did a fantastic job on flattening out the incisions on my breasts after my reduction/lift.
MelissaF
on 5/24/09 1:12 am - Northwood, IA
Hi Shirley -

There are many different options and each surgeon usually has their preferences.

Vitamin E oil of course is one that many have used for a long time with good results and its cheap.

Mederma - more expensive but has shown great results.  There are other brands like mederma on the market too.

Silcone Gel Strips - This is what I am using and they are known to flatten and reduce the appearance of the scar by eliminating the redness and softening the scar.  You have to be diligent i wearing them though - meaning most hours of the day as tolerated.  I wear mine all the time except when showering.

Hope this helps!
Hugs, Melissa 

sisichi
on 5/23/09 6:21 pm - Manchester, PA
Hi, I haven't had my arms done yet but I did order the NewGel and should get them soon, somewhere on one of the boards somebody mentioned taking a mans tube sock, cutting off the end and using that to put on your arms, would that help the gel strips to stay on? Good luck, Carole
Most Active