HELP! Need quick response: Health Insurance??

Idris Elba
on 5/20/09 1:58 pm - Cali Transplant, GA
Greetings all,

I had WLS a few years back, and I'm in the middle of having to review health insurance. My current employer has DRAMTICALLY increased the amount that we pay for our insurance monthly (UHC). So much so, that I'm actually looking at independent insurers. Here are my Q:

Which provider is the most WLS friendly?

Is WLS considered a pre-existing condition?

I know finding one to approve plastics is tough, but not impossible. Which are more apt to approve medically necessary plastics?

Lastly, I would need this info for the state of GA. And I have to make a decesion SOON. You guys are always so helpful. Any info would be great!!!!
(deactivated member)
on 5/20/09 7:32 pm
cbhjr98
on 5/20/09 9:34 pm
I, too, have heard of people being denied coverage because of WLS. Even though it has made us way healthier - they view it as giving long term care insurance to someone already in a nursing home. If you think about what they see - never ending blood tests, possible vitamin issues, malnutrition, revisions, blockages, etc - that's how they look at it and they see it as a big risk.

Like Jody said - Be careful before you drop!

Cass

Starting BMI under 45? Join us on The Lightweight Board. 
HW:257ish / SW:205 / CW:110.4 / GW:119.99
# 1 MACK_MAMA
on 5/20/09 11:57 pm
UHC has so far approved both of my procedure requests - and very quickly.  I had Cigna when I had my WLS - I fought them for 6 months before getting approved. 

I don't just have issues, I have subscriptions!  I'm saving on the newsstand price.......

Check out my dating mis - adventures at: http://1macdatinggame.blogspot.com/

Vicki Browning
on 5/24/09 6:41 am - IN
You will probably not find a individual policy that will underwrite you.  Most require that you have to be post op 5 years before they will underwrite a policy on a individual that has WLS done.   I would stick with UHC as even though its dramtically increased, individual policies are even more expensive as you absorb all the cost vs with a employer they pick up some of the premium
Most Active