What do i need to buy before a BL/BA and brachioplasty?

mara4u
on 5/19/09 12:07 pm - NJ
 I want to get ready and I need your help.
Thanks,
Mara
dec721
on 5/19/09 11:02 pm - Decatur, GA
VSG on 08/07/08 with
I'm interested in the brachio part of the answer, too, because I'm having one in July.  I had a breast reduction and lift six years ago (which have since fallen and they can't get up, ha ha, because of all the weight I've lost since!), and I'm trying to think what was helpful post-op.  I don't really remember anything I needed, but I did make use of some old men's undershirts that had been my dad's.  Obviously, I couldn't wear a bra for quite a while, so I wore these for some coverage and cottony comfort.  Otherwise, I don't remember needing any supplies.  One thing I did do before I left for the hospital was to put a chair with arms (like a dining room chair) beside the bed and any sofa I planned to lie around on.  I could use the arms of the chair to help me get up.  It worked very well.  I also covered the sofas with blankets before I left for the hospital (I live alone), in case my incisions leaked, so I wouldn't muck up the furniture; and I turned the bedding down ahead of time, too, so it was ready to be fallen into.  Silly little things, but they helped.  And I put any kitchen items and toiletries that I would need on counter tops, so I wouldn't have to reach or bend to get them.  I also figured out how to do laundry without lifting anything ... good if you live alone.  Instead of putting my dirty clothes in the hamper, when I took them off, I just put them right in the washing machine, which I kept open.  When the machine was full, I did a load, then pulled items one at a time out of the dryer and put them away, so I never had to carry a load.  HA!  Necessity is truly the mother of invention!  (I'm also kind of a control freak )
--Dorothy

Highest weight: 292   Pre-op weight: 265   Goal met: 150   Six years out: 185 and trying to lose again!

Redhaired
on 5/19/09 11:49 pm - Mouseville, FL
The only thing I needed was a sports bra that hooked in the front.  I got a couple of these from Walmart (about $7) and my surgeon said they were fine.  In fact I am still wearing mine 24/7.  But I only had a lift I did not have augmentation so YMMV.

Red

Bestform - Women's Plus Sports Bra

mara4u
on 5/20/09 2:12 am - NJ
 Dorothy your ideas are very practical and not silly at all, thank you. Also I havent heard much about the brachioplasty.Doc reasurred that is not as painfull than the BL/BA. Im decluttering and cleaning to keep busy.Im very anxious happy and about to cry at all times.
Red, great idea, I always wore those bras before WLS to the gym because they are so cottony soft.I wonder what size to get. I currently wear a 36C for the deflated girls. I hope to get to a fullC or smallD with the BL/A.
Anything else to get?
Mara

Kelly V.
on 5/20/09 3:23 am - Galion, OH

What helped me was a grabber thingy.  Losing your range of motion is difficult.  Also, if you will be alone keep things within reach when it comes time to eat.   I had my arm surgery in December and I am still unable to reach high up without a huge pulling feeling.

Good Luck!!!

megameggs
on 5/20/09 6:58 am, edited 5/20/09 6:58 am - FL
I just had brachio/BL/BA May 5th and I didn't really need anything special... what I needed most was lots of help from my mom and husband!

I know everybody is different, but be prepared for seriously limited range of motion with your arms. For two days I couldn't even lift a cup to my mouth to take a drink, and I wasn't prepared for that.

So:
--straws. the longer the better!
--people. you'll need help with the compression garments for your arms, especially if they hook in the back like mine.
--extra gauze in case you need to change bandages fairly often.
--protein drinks. just like the old days, you'll need the protein but won't have an appetite!

That's about it for me.  I didn't need much!
Vist my weblog at www.megameggs.wordpress.com

mara4u
on 5/23/09 12:43 pm - NJ
 Thank you all for your suggestions.I will have surgery this Thursday the 28th and im very nervous.Meg I never though of the straws.
Mara
Most Active