Sister has breast cancer so am I at increase risk ot cancer with BA or being missed with BA?

sablouwho
on 5/21/09 12:49 am - La La Land, CA
Thank you DrL for posting about BRCA -- I was about to compose a message to the OP re: BRCA and genetic counseling but you've done a better job than I could have done to explain it concisely.

To the OP -- My mother is a radiologist who specializes in mammography. Part of the reason she choose that focus is due to the breast cancer that runs in her side of the family. (Her mother, aunt and cousin).

When it turned out that my mom herself had breast cancer, she decided to get tested for BRCA and she unfortunately has the mutation, and she decided to have her ovaries removed due to the markedly higher risk of getting ovarian cancer.

At my mother's request, I went for genetic counseling. After some soul searching as to what it would mean, I decided to get tested for the BRCA mutations. It turned out that I was negative. Therefore my breast cancer risk, despite my family history, is statistically no larger than it is for the general population. HOWEVER, if I had had the BRCA gene, I would have definitely needed to consider different options.

Just wanted to let you know that just because might have the gene in your family, there is a chance that you do not have the gene yourself.  I would really urge you (and your sister) to at least have genetic counseling, so that you can make an informed decision of whether you want to find out if you have the gene.
~Cindy  

Watch my first appearance on
The Doctors TV Show   (aired Dec 2008)
Plastics done by Siamak Agha, MD (lower body lift/spiral thigh lift) in Dec 2009, breast 

Cynthia's Lower Body Lift procedure by Dr. Siamak Agha
 this includes footage from my first and second appearance on The Doctors as well as footage of my actual surgery

DrL
on 5/21/09 2:29 am - Houston, TX

I routinely ask all patients about breast cancer in their families before surgery and have been amazed at how I (as their PS) was the first to spot a troubling sign that could eman a BRCA mutation.

How to proceed, as you mention, requires some thought and maybe some hard decisions as an individual may elect to ahve a surgery to prevent a disease that may never occur !

Hence your wise advice to seek a good genetic counselor.

Again, all my hopes and prayers for Lisa's sis and her family.

John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
sablouwho
on 5/21/09 2:45 am - La La Land, CA
DrL--it is both good and bad news. Good that you have caught the family history, but kind of distressing to hear you've seen patients who are either not getting regularly seen by a doc, or who are, but their GYN or PCP are overlooking some important stuff. Eeeeee!

For me, the thought of a prophylactic bilateral mastectomy was a big gulp. I knew that if I was positive, that if I did have it done, I would at least leave the nipples intact and take that risk.  Even worse was the ovarian cancer risk and the thoughts of prophylactic oopherectomy (since I haven't have children.)

Again, to the OP, I would urge you to suggest genetic counseling to your sister. And if it turns out she's BRCA positive, I would urge you to have the counseling as well. Having the genetic counseling doesn't mean you NEED to get the BRCA test, but at least with the counseling you will be able to make a well informed decision as to whether you wish to be tested.

My thoughts and prayers are with your sister.
~Cindy  

Watch my first appearance on
The Doctors TV Show   (aired Dec 2008)
Plastics done by Siamak Agha, MD (lower body lift/spiral thigh lift) in Dec 2009, breast 

Cynthia's Lower Body Lift procedure by Dr. Siamak Agha
 this includes footage from my first and second appearance on The Doctors as well as footage of my actual surgery

Redhaired
on 5/20/09 11:16 pm - Mouseville, FL
Lisa-
I am so sorry to hear about your sister.  Please know I am sending you both my best wishes and I hope your sister is able to beat this.

Red

Lisa A.
on 5/21/09 7:01 am

Update and my sister has infiltrating ductal carcinoma and they also found something in her  liver as well but still not sure if it is from Hep c she had and it is scaring from that or cancer has invaded the liver,I am so surprise that the mamogram had not picked this up earlier and her last mamo was 1 year 3 mos ago. Before I had breast Augmentation I had a ultrasound and halo testing as well as a digitial mamaogram and I was give the go ahead for BA. At the time only my aunt had  breast cancer. IT appears she had the fast moving type of cancer. I will be pressing for a mri but my question is will that detect IDC early enough? My sister does not have implants I do.I just cannot believe mamogram did not pick this up early enough. I believe in being proactive and  not leaving it to chance Thanks to doctors  and everyone elses for chimming in ,, I will be talking to my doc june 10.
Lisa

Most Active