Recovering from Panni

jakes_mom03
on 5/19/09 3:12 am - Canada
Well I must say I am happy.  In some ways I hate writing that because in my life that means I will probably jinx everything.  Suffice it to say, so far so good.  I had open open rny and I have found this an easier recovery so far.  Putting things in perspective, I am 140 pounds lighter, on no meds, my oxygen levels were excellent so I guessthat makes a difference as well.  I went in last Thursday and got out of the hospital onSunday.  My son and I are staying with my sister and her husband until Friday.  She was very concerned about my recovery and she will even admit I am doing great.  They did not measure the amount of skin and tissue they took off and I have not weighed yet.  I can tell I am swollen and have a lot of water weight so I do not want to be disappointed.  I will post a pic when I get home.  I wish I had of taken a pre-op pic.  I was lucky in that I did not have a lot of loose skin but always looked fat.  I still concidered myself very overweight even though I knew I was wearing size 8's.  I am hoping this will help me feel normal.

Now for the big question.  I have not had a bowel movement since last Thursday.  I was on clear fluids the whole stay in the hospital.  I started passing gas on Sat.  When I got home on Sunday I strted eating soft foods.  Still nothing.  For breakfast today I had Shreddies.  Pre bypass they worked like a gem.  So far nothing.  So my question.  Should I be worried about not pooping?  I am not having any pain (of course the tylenol 3's could be covering some of it up) not passing tons of gas but definately passing some most through burps.  Any thoughts?
Shelley

Tee M.
on 5/19/09 3:47 am - CT

I didn't go for 9 days and thought I would die.  Day 7 started taking Peri-colace (which really did save me) but it was past the point of no return by then.  Get someone to get it for you quick!!!! and drink massive amounts of liquids. (even if milk makes you dump, try to drink it to loosen the stool)

Many of us get this reaction from anesthesia and the pain killers that follow. You are definitely NOT alone.

Why is it we all know how to use our tool, but refuse to do it?

MSHAMO
on 5/19/09 5:14 am - AUBURN HILLS, MI
Get some colace (over the counter) and some Milk of Magnesia, some suppositories and enema if needed. I waited and was SO sorry, I thought I was going to pop some stitches because I was so constipated!! I didn't feel like I had to go either and I wasn't eating a lot of solid food, so I thought there just wasn't anything there...so not true. Do something now. I was really affected by the anesthetic, I still take 2 - 4 colace everyday and I'm 12 weeks out. Good luck, you will love your TT!!
High/VSG/Surgeon Goal/My Goal/Current 257/242/170/155/141  I love my sleeve!
5' 3.5"    Plastic Surgeon: Dr. Raymond Hajjar, Bingham Farms, MI   Extended TT, muscle repair, lipo & hernia repair 2/25/09  Direct neck lift and muscle repair  4/14/09  Short scar lower face lift, more neck work and lower bleph 9/15/09
Redhaired
on 5/19/09 6:41 am - Mouseville, FL
Pain meds will make you constipated big time.  I like phillips caplets myself.

Red

MelissaF
on 5/19/09 7:32 am - Northwood, IA
I take plain colace daily with my iron and surgeon suggested 8 oz of prune juice daily - since I dump - I chose to eat the prunes instead as liquid sugar of any form - natural or not never sits well with me.  So I eat 3-5 a day.  I had a bowel movement on the 4th day after surgery but I am a daily goer, so it was long for me.  I'd say if you aren't in pain you are probably fine but I would get some prunes (they are actually sweet and VERY good, who knew?) and start taking COLACE not peri - colace that one has a laxative or Milk of Magnesia.  Also drink lots of fluids and walk.. should happen soon if you all of that.  Hang in there..
Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

RNY- 12/04/06 with Dr. Matt Glasock

LBL - 4/28/09 with Dr. Rene Recinos

islander
on 5/20/09 4:18 am - Middletown, RI
I finally resorted to Citrate of Magnesium- half a bottle.  No problem after that.

(deactivated member)
on 5/20/09 10:34 pm
jakes_mom03
on 5/21/09 1:36 am - Canada
No movement yet!  I am trying it all.  I will have to buy prune juice tomorrow.  I am more concerned with the bowel movement (ot lack of) than the panni!  Too fuunny!
Shelley

Most Active