When Good Surgery Happens To Good People...who still get complications (Graphic...

(deactivated member)
on 5/19/09 6:57 am, edited 5/20/09 12:11 pm - Los Angeles, CA
Edited to Add: EAT YOUR PROTEIN. I was running low on protein which may have contributed to the difficulty (i.e. size) of the wound and it's healing. I thought I was getting enough, in spite of regularly being told otherwise. Now I'm going to be chugging 120/day whether I like it or not, which, I don't.

Also, I hope this doesn't scare anynone, because that's not my intention. It's just like your first surgery. It comes with risks, but it's important to know that they can be dealt with.

EDITED AGAIN: Surgery took 45 minutes. I'm still numb, I think I might get *****y when it wears off, but hey, what can ya do? I'm all whole now.

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to update you all. I got a rare complication of a MASSIVE open wound (and yes, you'll see for yourself), and wanted you all to know that it CAN happen.

I am biased, I think I have the best surgeon in the whole wide world (Dr. Andre Aboolian), and he thinks I'm the most compliant patient EVER. I really am.

Even so, I woke up last week in LA (Sunday), 3 hours before takeoff to New York, with an opening. Now, we'd had some necrotic tissue, I thought it was gone, and we had new skin peeking through. YAY!

Sunday morning, it opens a crack, and there's some drainage. There'd been a bit anyway, so I figured whatever, I'm FINE. I also pulled a hip flexor, but that has nothing to do with surgery!

But, for those of us who think that we'll never get a complication...this is a 3-4% complication rate, on a perfectly healthy 23 year old patient who had a Lower Body Lift and Abdominoplasty. If you are squeamish, I urge you not to look further.

I just want you all to be aware. Tomorrow I'm having surgery to piece me back together, and it's because of the vigilant care I took of myself that I don't have an infection (since I spent the whole wee****il yesterday in New York! Which SUCKS when you can't walk well).
D
O
N
T

Say

I

Didn't

W
A
R
N

You.

And for those of you who are crotch focusers, I included a Magic-Eye puzzle.

Photobucket

MelissaF
on 5/19/09 7:28 am - Northwood, IA
uhm. WOW.  How ya holding together? sorry that was bad... bad joke. Bad Melissa..

Seriously, thats CRAZY! I Hope you get it all healed up soon, will you be under general anesesthesia?
Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

RNY- 12/04/06 with Dr. Matt Glasock

LBL - 4/28/09 with Dr. Rene Recinos

(deactivated member)
on 5/19/09 10:41 am - Los Angeles, CA
I thought you like my hamburger meat!

Yeah, Em saw it and went....I knew it was rough for you to get to dinner, but WTF?!

I'll be under general but I think it's gonna be "light", if that makes sense.

Ah, time to have another glass of milk. I had a protein drink today, ATE lunch (kashi pizza) and other foods. Just so ya know.

STOCKED UP, that's for sure. The Vitamin Shoppe is gonna see a tri-fold increase.
debbiel
on 5/19/09 7:37 am - poughkeepsie, NY
  Girl you need a great big HUG...  Yes things can happen. Just make sure till you have your surgery you take it real easy and try and keep that area germ free.....Ha...with all these flu's it crazy. You will be better in no time.  Debbie
(deactivated member)
on 5/19/09 10:38 am - Los Angeles, CA
I kept it clean in NYC, I think I can officially keep anything clean!

Thank you!
DrL
on 5/19/09 9:01 am - Houston, TX
You are in good hands with Dr. Andre.  He trained at UT when I was faculty and he was an outstanding resident and has great training (OK, I'm biased). Give him my best regards.

I'm sure you already know this, but a ton of protein intake is going to be needed to get you all closed up.  The area will look way better than it does now, so keep us posted as you progress.
John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
(deactivated member)
on 5/19/09 10:37 am - Los Angeles, CA
Melissa F who already posted in this REAMED my now "bony little ass" for not getting enough FOOD in, let alone protein, so I've already started the shakes again and trying to eat.

I'm one of those "I willl NEVER stretch out my pouch" people. Problem is....I didn't! So it's a struggle, but for the next month, it's a free for all. Protein shakes, yogurt, and the occasional cookie and dried mango.
Johanna !
on 5/19/09 10:10 am - Formerly known as jdcRI, RI
Ouch - that looks so painfull - you are way braver than I am!! 

Praying for a quick recovery!
(deactivated member)
on 5/19/09 10:38 am - Los Angeles, CA
Prayers are good. If only that my mother doesn't break her knuckles white in the waiting room!
cleos_mom
on 5/19/09 11:17 am - phila., PA
Good Luck to you, it will all work out sometimes this stuff happens. I t is a good thing you didn't go to Mexico to have your surgery. I have heard good things on this line about your Dr.
Most Active