A whole NEW pain!!!

MelissaF
on 5/15/09 12:13 am, edited 5/15/09 1:26 am - Northwood, IA
Ok so as many of you know I have done absolutely terrific since my LBL.  I had the typical muscle pain that is associated wtih tightening with any tummy tuck/lbl procedure but everything else has been basically numb b/c of the nerve endings being separated.

Already at just 2.5 weeks out they are ALL waking up at the same time.  For the first time I am feeling lots of sensitivity.  Just touching my skin is painful and the incisions are more alive.  Although it isn't as intense as the muscle pain was when I would try to get out of bed intially postop it is constant annoying nagging pain b/c the binder is always on and makes the skin just feel like wow...

I have to admit I was crying last night.  I tried making it all day long with extra strength tylenol but it didn't do a darn thing.  I have like 2-3 doses of my narcotic left and I have been trying to save it for nighttime so I can sleep.  I finally broke down and took it and did take the edge off.

I made a hard decision to email my surgeon (we work in the same hospital system - I am a nurse so I have an advantage there) and he said he didn't want me to suffer that this is normal and the garment is prob somewhat tight and im swelling some etc etc.. sorta like when u wear socks for 36 hours straight? That was his analogy.  Anyways he said he would call something in for me today if I felt I was still struggling.  

This pain is just so new to me all the sudden.  Is it normal for it all to wake up all at once??? He severed lots of tissue under the skin on my lateral sides to get those rolls broke up.. VERY sensitive there all the sudden moving inwards towards my belly button - belly button still numb however.

I thought this happened later on? I donno, its weird and NEW for sure.  I am going to be fine but it was sorta like OUCH ok.. whats going on here? "zingers" and ugh don't let anything touch me b/c it hurts.

AHHH ok I am done whining and I willl be calling for more pain meds as much as I hate to admit it, I think I need it.

Stepping down from my box of whine now... anyone got some cheese for me?

edited to add:  Called my surgeons nurse and they care gonna call in lortab most likely, they have to page him at the hospital as he is in surgery but I know he will do something - he told me he would. him.

Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

RNY- 12/04/06 with Dr. Matt Glasock

LBL - 4/28/09 with Dr. Rene Recinos

MyQnA
on 5/15/09 12:43 am
(((HUGS))) I am sure if you managed to make it to work you are a far better patient than me and I hope you feel better very soon.  Nothing is waking up over here....thank God!

~Maxine

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. 

MelissaF
on 5/15/09 12:57 am - Northwood, IA
Thanks Maxine!! I appreciate the hugs (better be gentle! LOL)

I am glad you are doing so well, that makes me smile.  Do you feel better energy wise now? Give me an update, I wonder about you a lot.

I just spoke to my doc's nurse, going to call me in some Lortab she thinks.. step down from percoet.  I will take it.  I can't be a "man" about it anymore... i need it.

Thanks for listening to me vent. :) Tell me about you now.
Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

MyQnA
on 5/15/09 1:03 am
Well, I have been on nothing because pain has not been my issue and I hope really hope it does not become an issue.

As for energy the truth is I started upping my intake of food and I feel worlds better.  I was not eating nearly enough and now I am so I hope I continue to feel like a human.

And yes of course very gentle hugs!

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. 

MelissaF
on 5/15/09 1:04 am - Northwood, IA
SO glad to hear that Maxine, I wondered if you weren't supplying your body with enough energy. Your body needs calories in order to heal..  many are afraid b/c they aren't exercising they will gain but really your metabolic needs are higher right now.. do not fear and get your vitamins and food in.  Glad you are feeling more human again.  

Thanks for the gentle huggers :)
Hugs, Melissa 

katiekat412
on 5/15/09 1:19 am
Hi Melissa,

I can't help, or relate yet, but I just wanted to say that I hope you feel better soon. You're a tough cookie, so I'm sure your body will heal quickly. Take your meds until then! There's no shame in managing your pain.

You look awesome!!!

Kat

Highest weight 250/ SW 233/Lowest Weight 135/Regain Highest 175/Current Weight 160

MelissaF
on 5/15/09 1:35 am - Northwood, IA
Thanks so much Kat. You are so sweet.  I appreciate you listening to me whine! 

Hope you are having a terrific day! HUGS
Hugs, Melissa 

Honeyblonde
on 5/15/09 12:59 am - MN
Nurses are the WORST patients!!  (so I've heard!)

Take those drugs and stop apologizing!!

Hope you feel better soon!

Hugs -

~ BJ

MelissaF
on 5/15/09 1:03 am - Northwood, IA
I will NOT deny  that... we VERY much are.  BAD.

Thanks sweetie. 
Hugs, Melissa 

tina_stamps
on 5/15/09 1:27 am - New Milford, PA
Oh Melissa I am so sorry you're going through this!  The only thing I can think of is that since you are already ahead of the curve with your healing (drains out early, incisions looking good, etc) that it isn't surprising the nerves are bouncing back early as well.  Just know that it can't last forever even if it feels like it will!

Don't try to be brave.  As a nurse in a former life myself (ok, just a decade ago, but seems like a former life) pain management is essential to healing.  Take your meds when you first start getting uncomfortable in order to get the best benefit.  Don't wait until it is unbearable...

Hang in there girl!  You're doing fabulous, and look BEYOND fabulous!

Public service announcement: You LOSE weight, you LOSE hair....
Your clothes become
LOOSE... we spend all our LOOSE change on protein supplements...

Most Active