Swelling afterTummy Tuck

lmanning2004
on 5/15/09 10:02 am - Boston, MA
I had my tummy tuck, breast lift, and some lipo on May 5th. My breast look great BUTmy tummy area still has like this tire like love handles still on it, is that normal? Like is that swelling? I ask because I can literally take my hand and grab skin on my love handles, is that normal? I also have no sensation from below the belly button all the way down to my pubic area. My doc did say I will and can loose sensation there. Also is it me cuz I'm swollen or wasn't I suppose to see instant results as far as the 6pack effect?
Leslie

tazfan
on 5/15/09 10:37 am
You just had some major surgery, give your self time to heal.   I was not able to get into the pants I was wearing before my tummy tuck for 6 weeks due to the amount of swelling I had.  After that the swelling went away quickly and I dropped a pants size.  It has been 4 years since my tummy tuck and I still have some numbness between my belly button and pubic area.  That may never fully come back.  I know women who had c-sections 12 -15 years ago and they still have numbness.
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/15/09 12:10 pm - OH
You JUST had surgery.... OF COURSE you are having swelling!  I was told that it not uncommon to have swelling (sometimes on and off) for a number of months after a TT.  Give it time.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

lmanning2004
on 5/15/09 3:33 pm - Boston, MA
I guess since you know you see all them before and after pics online of people and they look great, it never really dawned on me what was the time differenc before they posted the before and  after pics. So these love handles are temporary? I mea I did loose 12 pounds already in 10 days. Thank you for your words of encouragement.
Leslie

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/15/09 9:05 pm - OH
It is possible that the "love handles" are not swelling... they may be residual fat, but it is way too early to be able to tell.  (Some people also DO swell more than others... and people generally only post the most flattering "after" results even if they are immediately after surgery.  I had an acquaintance take a picture right after she took of her binder for the first time like the day after her tummy tuck surgery... before any swelling even had a chance to set in!  Then she wanted to know "what happened?" when the swelling kicked in a day after or so.)

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

lmanning2004
on 5/16/09 4:56 pm - Boston, MA
OMG what is residual fat? I don't think my Ps talk that over with me. school me on that so when i see him next on 6/1 i can bring it up. I mean i do know that he can only take off and pull down so much, also he can only work with what I have. his PA keot saying how he gave me the body of a 14 yr old and how flat he left my tummy. Even when I went to my 1st post op they both were kind of like "hmmm swellig?" But I bet your right, i bet it is that residual stuff, ughhh great I knew just my luck. Now do you think, lets assume it is residual fat, i can work that off w/ exercise as soon as I'm given the green light? Or will that mess up the whole TT and Lift?

Cindy C.
on 5/15/09 11:16 pm
I had tummy tuck and a BL w/ augmentation on 4/27.  I didn't need lipo.  I am still swollen, especially in the mons area.  My drains were in the mons area and were just removed yesterday.  I'm hoping the swelling goes away soon.  My waist is more defined now, but I hate the side view.  I guess we need to be more patient.  I too, expected "instant" results just like on tv.  Naive, I guess.

Cindy

Height 5' 1"   WLS on 12/05/07      Plastics on 04/27/09                                 

lmanning2004
on 5/16/09 4:51 pm - Boston, MA
Im sorry but what is the mon area? Anyhow, I had my surgery on 5/5 and got my drains removed on 5/11, I had 3 drains and they were in the pubic area. i decided to documnet my body everyday by taking not so flattering pics of myself, to see the swelling through the cameras eyes. Its weird I wweighed in @ 185 morning of surgery then 189 the next day Iwent home from hospital. I figured Iwould weigh more due to the IV's and fluid retention. My PS said he removed 1 liter of fat and 4 pound sof skin from me, so far to date (5/16) I weighed in @ 176, so I am loosing the weight/swelling I dont quit see it yet, but I did notice from my pics that the luv handles r going down slowly. Is this normal to stop swelling slowly. I guess I got caught up AFTER the procedure unrealistic results, when I should know better. Hopefully when i go back on 6/1 for my 2nd post op i weigh and look alot less
leslie

MSHAMO
on 5/16/09 1:26 pm - AUBURN HILLS, MI
I had a lot of fat over my hips, that's why my PS did an extended TT. I could tell it was gone right away. Your question is probably one you should ask your PS.
High/VSG/Surgeon Goal/My Goal/Current 257/242/170/155/141  I love my sleeve!
5' 3.5"    Plastic Surgeon: Dr. Raymond Hajjar, Bingham Farms, MI   Extended TT, muscle repair, lipo & hernia repair 2/25/09  Direct neck lift and muscle repair  4/14/09  Short scar lower face lift, more neck work and lower bleph 9/15/09
lmanning2004
on 5/16/09 2:09 pm - Boston, MA
u r so right i should an am goin to ask him when I go for my 2 post op in june 1st. Hopefully by then this swelling will hav gone down alot.
Leslie

Most Active