Just scheduled LBL - need help

Pat Rice
on 5/14/09 8:18 am - Northern, NJ
I scheduled my surgery for 6/17 with Dr Joe Capella in NJ. I am excited  and scared at same time. I always thought my WLS would be the only surgery for me. Had my gastric bypass 4 years ago with Dr. Raphael Capella. I have gained back some weight  approx 13 lbs. I thought this surgery will help to get me re-focused and back on track and possibly like what I see in mirror.

Are there any words of wisdom any of you could give me about what is to come or any questions I should be asking? I have read alot. I think some of my nerves involve guilt of wanting this. I live alone and don't have much support. You see I cannot tell any of my family beforehand because they would not approve. So, I have to arrange for public transportation to and from hospital. It is a hard journey when you go at it alone. 
Any advice is appreciated!
Thank you all in advance! Hugs, Pat
HUGS, PAT  
RNY 8/26/05 preop 226.2 lowest 132.7
LBL,TT,MASTOPEXY 6/17/09 preop 141.7 removed 7 lbs current 131.5 7/14/09
DEBI R.
on 5/14/09 4:32 pm - CORSICANA, TX
I had my LBL 4/8 and I couldn't have taken care of myself I needed help for the first few days. I also had my arms done at the same time but was using my arms right away.

Do you have  a friend that might be able to help you out for a few days? You will need someone to cook for you and help you change your bandages and empty your drains. I got nauseas for the first 3 days everytime it was time to change my dressings or empty my drains.

If you can please get someone to help you having a major surgery like this really tires you out for awhile. Good luck with everything.
Debi

____debi__________200.jpg image by tunie_2006 item11.jpg image by tunie_2006      

minuature pinscher 

Redhaired
on 5/14/09 10:53 pm - Mouseville, FL
Pat-
While not an ideal situation folks have done this alone.  If your insurance is covering the surgery perhaps you could talk to your surgeon about keeping you in the hospital a couple of extra days or arranging for a home health aide or visiting nurse to come by to help you that first week or so.  If not, do you have a friend or a neighbor who could check in on you?

I do not think you need to feel guilty about wanting to have this surgery.  Many of us are left with the daily reminder of the way things used to be, ie loose skin.  Plus, there are the medical issues the saggy, baggy skin can cause.

When you say public transportation are you referring to buses, and taxi cabs or paratransit services? If it is bus transportation -- then I would advice you to check to see if you would qualify for temporary status with your local paratransit system.  In most communities there is a paratransit system that provides door to door service for the disabled.  It might be possible for your surgeon to fill out the paperwork for you to get temp status.  This way you would also be able to get out and take care of your other needs while you are not able to drive.  You would call your local mass transit provider to get info on paratransit.

Good luck to you.  I hope your surgery goes well and that you have an easy recovery. 

Red

Pat Rice
on 5/15/09 1:57 am - Northern, NJ

Hi Red,

Thanks so much for your advice.
My surgeon is having me spend the first night  at a nursing facility. Unfortunately,  insurance is not covering. I took the name of an agency to hire an aide, I am just worried about the expense.

I did tell one neighbor and she will help with my dogs when I am home. I am going to have to hire someone for the 2 days I am away.  Everything is adding up quickly.
I was thinking taxi or bus, but I will check into pra-transit. That is a great idea.

Do you have any idea how long b4 I can drive?
Thank you so much for your help - so kind!
Hugs, Pat

HUGS, PAT  
Redhaired
on 5/15/09 2:58 am - Mouseville, FL
I think that will depend on how long you are on pain medication.  Have you ever kenneled your dogs?  I know, I know, trust me, my kids had never been in a kennel either.  If we could not take them, or leave them with my sister, we didn't go.  However, my DH had to go to Omaha a few weeks ago for a surgical consult and he really wanted me to go.  But we had to put my babies in a kennel for two nights in order to make the one day trip.  You know what -- they did fine.  They were not traumatized in the least by the experience.  I expected them to suffer from PTSD for months.  So you might want to look into that as opposed to hiring someone to house sit.

Red

Pat Rice
on 5/15/09 8:35 am - Northern, NJ
It is an idea for the kennel. But, I will miss them too much. They are my life. BTW yours are precious, are they pomeranians?. I have 3 Shih Tzus, one is 13 and blind and needs to be around me and in familiar surroundings.
You have been so helpful and I appreciate it.
Hug, Pat
HUGS, PAT  
Redhaired
on 5/15/09 9:55 am - Mouseville, FL
Oh no,  I meant kenneling while you were gone.  I can't imagine being in the house and the kids not being here.  I have three pekingese.  I so understand when you say they are your life  - mine are too.  Sometimes DH and I just sit and watch the puppies.  He is just as crazy about them as I am, and that is pretty crazy.

Just let me know if there is anything I can do.  I would like to be able to support and encourage you anyway I can.

Red

Pat Rice
on 5/16/09 1:04 am - Northern, NJ
Oh, I see what you mean.  That is  a good idea if I cannot get someone to come by.
People who love dogs are special people!  My sisters husband never wanted a dog, but she brought home the sister to one of mine. He has never been the same. He talks baby talk and brought home a second one for Xmas a year later. It's all good!

There are so many things to think about and organize. You have been so helpful. Thank you for reaching out to me.
Hugs, Pat
HUGS, PAT  
(deactivated member)
on 5/16/09 4:51 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
I kennel my baby for the time I am gone and then an extra day or 2.  When he comes home he is all excited to see me and jumps all over me....after the LBL I will not want him leaping on me!
I love him, he's my baby, but I'm also trying to be realistic.

I've had to travel a lot for work in the past so he has been boarded before.  It's more dramatic on us (the moms).  Just make sure you do your homework and get a good, CLEAN, kennel.  The one I use now has both an indoor and outdoor facility so he gets to runaround outside a couple times each day too (weather permitting).

Best wishes as you make your plans and hope you have a speedy recovery after surgery!
Ruth
MelissaF
on 5/15/09 3:00 am - Northwood, IA
I kenneld my dogs for a week even though I had my husband with me.. just less stress and worth it.  They were well taken care of so I agree with Red on that one!
Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

RNY- 12/04/06 with Dr. Matt Glasock

LBL - 4/28/09 with Dr. Rene Recinos

Most Active