Insurance ? for Tri care

lvesper
on 5/14/09 5:14 am - carmel, IN
My Doctor is trying to get me approved for a tt through our tri care insurance. Dose anyone know if Tri care will cover this. I have heard no and yes. Has anyone been able to get it done through them? Thanks so much for your help!

Kimberlin Katayama
on 5/14/09 12:27 pm - CA
I have tricare and I know for a fact that they DO cover panniculetomy and other skin removal if the doctor deems it medically necessary. If you go on my profile look under my friends you will find some one named Kimmie. She has tricare and she just had her plastics paid for by tricare. She is a very nice lady and will answer any questions you have. I am in the process of getting a referal to see the plastic surgeon but my problem is where we are stationed there isnt a plastic surgeon around that accepts tricare.

Pre-op 210lbs (6/18/2008) Maintaining Goal! 120lbs
thatgirl99
on 5/14/09 1:45 pm
I am having a tt next month paid partly by tricare. They are paying for the panni and I am paying for the difference to have the full tt done. For me its a 2600 difference.
Redhaired
on 5/14/09 11:03 pm - Mouseville, FL
 While they will cover it, it is not automatic. Tricare will cover the panniculectomy if it is medically necessary.  I have also heard of them covering other surgeries.  But you will need to prove the skin issues are causing you on-going problems.  This will require documentation that the skin issues and break down are not responsive to less invasive treatment and they will also want pictures to determine just how far the panni hangs.   Sometimes I beleive you will need to see your PCP or dermatologist several times over a period of months to get this documentation.  If you have MTF where you can access care you might check to see if they have a plastics department to see if you can have it done there.  I have a good friend who got approval with Tricare for a TT, however, I did not.  I did not appeal the decision as I had another option for coverage.

You can search the regs at mytricare.com to see the policy on plastics.  Or send me a PM with your email address and I can send it to you.

Good luck.

Red

Most Active