Binders

Cindy C.
on 5/14/09 11:31 am
I had a TT on 4/27 and have developed a love/hate relationship with my binder.  I've read that there are different types of binders, as well as sizes.  Mine covers from just below my breasts to my hips and has two separate pieces in the front.  I guess that is so you can have one area tighter than the other.  That part I like.  However, I am short waisted and if I get it too low on my hips it hurts where I still have drains.  If I raise it, it rubs under my boobs.  (I aso had a BL w/ Aug.)  I also feel like the skin on my stomach is irritated.

Any suggestions?

Cindy

Height 5' 1"   WLS on 12/05/07      Plastics on 04/27/09                                 

cleos_mom
on 5/14/09 12:08 pm - phila., PA
you have to find one that you like & fits well and is comfortable. I ordered my compression garments from
www.marena.com
or try a medical supply storethey should have them
DEBI R.
on 5/14/09 4:16 pm - CORSICANA, TX

I had a different binder than you do but it irrated my skin too and the nurse suggested wearing a white t-shirt under the binder and it helped alot.  I also didn't have to put any dressings (gauze, etc) on anymore just the t-shirt and binder and that was a big relief too because the tape kept coming loose from the gauze and it was driving me crazy. You might want to ask your surgeons office if you could try the white t-shirt. Good luck. Debi

____debi__________200.jpg image by tunie_2006 item11.jpg image by tunie_2006      

minuature pinscher 

MyQnA
on 5/14/09 8:48 pm
Great Tip!  I have the same sort of binder as her and have the same issues. 

~maxine

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. 

DEBI R.
on 5/17/09 3:28 am - CORSICANA, TX
Hi Maxine,

I hope it works for you, it was alot easier for me than putting gauze and tape on several times a day. Debi

____debi__________200.jpg image by tunie_2006 item11.jpg image by tunie_2006      

minuature pinscher 

islander
on 5/14/09 10:55 pm - Middletown, RI
I had a tt & br.  Ditched the binder after 2-3 wks.  What worked best for me was a compression garment top- like Spanx.  It extended down almost to the thighs.  I also bought a one piece garment with crotch snaps- cheap.  Love them too.  Both work really well, even with the drains.

My surgeon thought the specialized garments were too expensive & worn only for a short time. Really, I'd give them a try.  It accomplishes the same thing & is a heckuva lot more comfortable.  I have different sizes to acommodate more/less swelling. 

Cindy C.
on 5/14/09 11:16 pm

Thanks everyone.  I have an appt this afternoon w/ my surgeon.  I'll ask if it's ok to wear something else.  I feel like the two I've been wearing are stretched.  Right now spending a little extra money would be so worth the comfort.  I know how important it is to wear a compression garment of some type.  After showering, I kinda look forward to getting it back on.  The first week I felt like everything was "falling" w/o it.

I do occasionally wear a tee under the binder.  When at home, I usually don't wear another shirt over it either.  Too hot.  The one problem I have with the tee under the binder is it needs to be snug thru the waist so there are no wrinkles under the binder.  If it's snug thru the waist it tends to rub my armpits which also have incisions.  Sigh....the things we put ourselves thru just to try to look normal again. 

Cindy

MelissaF
on 5/15/09 12:22 am - Northwood, IA
I also use a mens "wife beater" tshirt under mine and it helps a lot!!! Life saver.

I also use this product except mine goes down to mid thigh but I had a lower body lift so I feel I need that.  I do not think with a TT you would need that.  So this one is the same but "shortless" and I LOVE it.

www.makemeheal.com/mmh/product.do

worth the money for SURE!
Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

RNY- 12/04/06 with Dr. Matt Glasock

LBL - 4/28/09 with Dr. Rene Recinos

Cindy C.
on 5/15/09 11:05 pm
I bought a package of wife beaters too - just because of this surgery. 

Cindy

MelissaF
on 5/16/09 2:57 am - Northwood, IA
They are a BLESSING!! Such a small purchase worth a million bucks.. I bought a 6 pack.. got one free! Woohoo ;-)
Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

RNY- 12/04/06 with Dr. Matt Glasock

LBL - 4/28/09 with Dr. Rene Recinos

Most Active