Did your surgery wounds leak?

my_turn1
on 5/13/09 1:24 am - Northern, CA
Hello All,

I had surgery on Friday, may 8th and I noticed that my arms keep leaking fluid. I have drains in them but the fluid is coming out and still leaking. My left arm, the one with the IV is leaking far worse than the right.

When did it stop leaking?
Do the stains come out of your cothes?
What did you use to stop the leak? Gauze is not working.

Thanks for the help,
Lisa
What have you got to LOSE ??
Redhaired
on 5/13/09 2:03 am - Mouseville, FL
Anytime I had leaking I put gauze on the wound then put a sanitary napkin over the gauze.  I would cut the napkin to fit.  Peroxide is good for getting blood stains out as is oxyclean.

Red

cleos_mom
on 5/13/09 3:30 am - phila., PA
what color is the fluid? is it clear or cloudy? if it continues I would call your PS. and make him aware of it. I had a place leaking clear fluid on my thigh and my PS has been watching it for 5 weeks now he said it was a stitch that was caught inside and he wanted it to work its way out but it didn't so after going to him every week I had to go to his office  today and he gave me a local needle and took it out , it didn't hurt cause my leg is still numb from surgery I probably didn't even need the local but I was being chicken just the thought of it made me queasy and now it is fine. I can't wait for it to heal so I can go to the beach.
my stains came out of everything. one thing I did notice was the more I moved the more it would leak, it didn't hurt it was just annoying. The only time it gave me pain was when it would stop leaking and close up then I would put moist warm compresses on it and it would come to a head & start leaking again, better out then in.but he said the stitch would have never worked its way out it was just stuck in the surrounding skin it like formed a callous over it. UGH
Good LUck to you
MelissaF
on 5/13/09 3:30 am - Northwood, IA
Hi Lisa

Make sure your wound isn't creating a seroma (fluid filled area/vesicle) under the skin and doesn't need a needle aspiration.  Does your doctor know that it is weeping fluid?  I have no idea if this is normal or not.  I have not experienced it myself.

Good luck... keep us posted.
Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

RNY- 12/04/06 with Dr. Matt Glasock

LBL - 4/28/09 with Dr. Rene Recinos

megameggs
on 5/13/09 6:23 am - FL
I haven't had any leaking from my arms, but I have had a bit from my breast lift both before and after the implants were filled. Note any changes in color, it should be mostly clearish, and it shouldn't be like gushing or anything, but if you've got fluid and there's a place for it to seep out, it will. I'd almost prefer it to the swelling I feel right now, gah!
Vist my weblog at www.megameggs.wordpress.com

Cristy S.
on 5/13/09 3:19 pm - West Point, GA
I am 4 weeks out from a TT and am still draining. Some. It is a clear yellowish liquid, and my Dr says its totally normal to not worry and just use pads to catch the fluids. That being said I am also healing super slow and have had part of my incision to pull apart which is going to require stitches next week. ( this is apparently also normal) I think everyone is diffrent - go with what your Dr says!

Lilypie Maternity tickers
my_turn1
on 5/13/09 11:15 pm - Northern, CA
Thanks for all the replies. I talked to my doctor yesterday and he said that a clot was blocking it. He used a stringe sucking type device and got the leak to stop. The arm is draining again.

Although I want the drains removed so I don't look like a freak, I would rather have the fluid out than have complications.

btw the fluid was clear.

Thank you all for the support and help. I needed it!
Lisa
What have you got to LOSE ??
cbhjr98
on 5/14/09 12:40 am
I had clear fluid draining out from my thigh where a drain was coming out. It drained for the whole time i had the drain in and about 10 days after.  No biggie in my case, it cleared up.  Glad your doc said it was all good.

Cass

Starting BMI under 45? Join us on The Lightweight Board. 
HW:257ish / SW:205 / CW:110.4 / GW:119.99
Most Active