Brach. Swelling?

doreenh
on 5/12/09 8:26 pm - Meredith, NH

I had my Brachio on Friday!!!!  So far so good, I've been mostly uncomfortable, minimal pain. I'm pleasantly surprised.  I have a high tolerance for pain, but I really thought this would hurt more since the incision is so big.   I went Monday to change bandages, I think they're going to look great!  Dr seems impressed, we'll see.

I have a quick question, how tight should the compression be?  My garment is pretty tight, but I get to shower today and will need to use ace bandage until hubby gets home. 

I'm getting some swelling from my elbow down on one of my arms, is this normal and what did you do to reduce swelling?  Puffy fingers drive me nuts!

thanks
Doreen

Redhaired
on 5/12/09 9:25 pm - Mouseville, FL
Talk to your surgeon about the puffy fingers.  My surgeon told me if I was having swelling in my hands the bandages were too tight.  Also if your hand starts to turn colors or get cold -- get that thing off and call the surgeon.  I had my arms done in December and I, too, was pleasantly surprised that the pain was not so bad.  I, was also surprised by my mobility.  I had expected to need a lot of help with even the most basic things like feeding myself.  Never happened!

Red

Red

(deactivated member)
on 5/12/09 9:42 pm
(deactivated member)
on 5/12/09 10:25 pm - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
HI,
I had the Brachioplasty 7 weeks ago......
Swelling below the elbow only happened for me when the bandages were wrapped too tight.  My right hand turned to putty early on but once I elevated it properly it went away....Also to reduce the swelling I was told over and over again to elevate the arms.....  when laying on the bed I had them up on 2 pillows and helped.

I don't know if it is just me but whenever I had the ACE bandages my forearms tended to swell up some.......as soon as I stopped wearing the swelling there stopped.  I'm not suggesting you stop wearing your ACE, you need to wear them until your surgeon says you can take them off.

Definitely let the surgeon know about the putty hand.
Best wishes!
Ruth
doreenh
on 5/12/09 10:32 pm - Meredith, NH
Thanks I'll probably call him this afternoon.

PamT
on 5/13/09 1:36 am - Downey, CA
My goodness! You have no idea how timely this post is for me.

I'm having the brac done and I'm so scared and leary about this surgery. Not the surgery itself but the recovery. I've heard & read alot about the extreme pain involved, the helplessness after surgery and so many disappointed with the results.

This post gives me hope that it may not necessarily be as painful as I've read, & that I may not be completely helpless after surgery.

Thank you!
Renee H.
on 5/13/09 2:11 am - Bronx, NY
Pam, I also heard folks say "Oh the arms are the worst!"  I guess it depends on the individual because I had a few areas done and although my arms are taking the most effort to heal properly, I can't say that it was the worst as far as pain or limitations go.  My biggest challenge was keeping my arms elevated and trying to take it easy.  I had my brach in February and I did not have a lot of pain either.  Stiffness and discomfort, yes - but I can't say it was a lot of actual pain or that I felt like an invalid.
Renee H. aka "Queen Nae"
RNY - 8/04 - Alfons Pomp - NYC
LBL - 4/07 - Thomas P. Sterry - NYC
Revision to anchor cut - 12/07 - Thomas P. Sterry - NYC
UBL w/brachio - 2/09 - Thomas P. Sterry - NYC

Susan S.
on 5/13/09 2:47 am - Roselle, NJ
I was driving two days postop - and back in yoga two weeks out - it is not that bad - I had very thin arms to start so no lipo etc. which can make recovery harder - but it was not bad...in fact it was so benign I went back in two weeks later and had the medial thigh lift I was planning for next year.......I was able to put my own compression garment on.   There are lots of pictures on my profile.    Good luck with your procedure.   Susan
Obesity Help Support Group Leader - The Woman Warrior
286/170/131 (starting/goal/current)
LBL - 10-30-08, brachioplasty/augmentation 2-26-09, medial thigh lift 3-16-09
Plastics - Dr. Joseph Fodero

286/170/140/131 (starting weight/goal/surgeons goal/current)

LBL 10-30-08 - Joseph Fodero
Brachioplasty/Breast Augmentation - 2=24-09

PamT
on 5/13/09 9:31 am - Downey, CA
Renee & Susan,,

Thanks so much for the encouragement!!  I don't know why the arm surgery bothers me so much. I'm having the facelift done the same day. I have no problem with getting that. And going to have the TT & BL done soon after. I'm not worried about those either. I'm pretty tough,, definately not a sissy,, but I have heard so many horror stories about the arm lift,, it had me REALLY concerned.

Thanks again!!
megameggs
on 5/13/09 6:26 am - FL
I had my brachio last Tuesday, so we're just a few days apart! My compression garments seem tighter sometimes depending on how much fluid I'm retaining... right now, my upper-arm/shoulder is like POPPING out of my compression sleeves! But I don't have any drains so I suppose there's nowhere else for the fluid to sit!

My first night home I had some forearm/hand swelling... I just elevated it and sort of lightly massaged from my fingers toward my upper arm--my very own home-made lyphatic drainage I suppose!

I've heard eating pineapple can help--I'm trying that today!
Vist my weblog at www.megameggs.wordpress.com

Most Active