What kind of compression garment for brachioplasty?

dec721
on 5/12/09 11:46 am - Decatur, GA
VSG on 08/07/08 with
Hey y'all -- For those of you who have had brachio, what compression garments were good ... and which ones were lousy?  I'm going to have to put them on myself (live alone), and everything I see online looks like they would take several people to install me in them.  The surgeon said he will send me home wrapped in ace bandages, and maybe that will be the ticket -- just wrap and rewrap myself, but I'd like to know what you all have used.  Thanks!
--Dorothy

Highest weight: 292   Pre-op weight: 265   Goal met: 150   Six years out: 185 and trying to lose again!

(deactivated member)
on 5/12/09 12:32 pm
Jobst arm sleeves worked very well for me.  They can be purchased at a medical supply store, online or at a post-mastectomy boutique.  Many people who have mastectomies use them to reduce swelling in the arms and/or control the effects of lymphedema.  I was able to get them on/off by myself.
DEBI R.
on 5/12/09 5:37 pm - CORSICANA, TX
I used ace bandages too but the nurse also suggested taking a mans long tube sock and cutting the end off and using that on my arms but I never did.

Good luck with your surgery. Debi

____debi__________200.jpg image by tunie_2006 item11.jpg image by tunie_2006      

minuature pinscher 

doreenh
on 5/12/09 8:15 pm - Meredith, NH
I know what you mean.  I had my Brachio on Friday and they sent me home with a garment, You put one arm on at a time and then connect it in the middle of your shoulder blades. How do you do that without lifting your arms up over your head???  unless hubby is home I can't imagine getting myself into it alone(maybe when the incision isn't sore). 
I get to shower today and I'm going to use the ace bandages today.  I may go shopping and try the tube socks for at night.
Good Luck

Redhaired
on 5/13/09 12:33 am - Mouseville, FL
My surgeon just had me in the ace bandages.

Renee H.
on 5/13/09 2:14 am - Bronx, NY
My doc does not really like the sleeve type of compression garments because he finds that taking it on and off can be a little problematic - plus it is difficult to control the level of compression.  He advised me to use ace bandages because I can adjust the compression according to how tight I wrap them.
Renee H. aka "Queen Nae"
RNY - 8/04 - Alfons Pomp - NYC
LBL - 4/07 - Thomas P. Sterry - NYC
Revision to anchor cut - 12/07 - Thomas P. Sterry - NYC
UBL w/brachio - 2/09 - Thomas P. Sterry - NYC

Kathie L.
on 5/13/09 2:56 am - Castaic, CA

I went home with ace bandages on after my surgery and a week later had a very tight compression garment that went from the arm pits to the elbows and buckled like a bra in the back. I hated the garment and it hurt under my armpits where it rubbed on my sore underarms and I had a buldge at the elbow. I wore it faithfully for about a month and when I couldn't stand it any longer I would take it off and wrap my arms in the ace bandages which was far more comfortable. I wanted to follow my doctor's advice and end up with the best possible scars after the surgery and knew that my doctor wanted the best results also.

It's almost 6 months since my brachioplasty and I still have a small bruise under one of my armpits from the compression garment. I wish I would have just worn the ace bandages.

California Kathie
RNY - 10/07
Rt. Hip Replacement - 4/08
Upper Body Lift - 11/08 (Dr. Timothy Katzen)
Lower Body Lift - 3/09 (Dr. Timothy Katzen)
megameggs
on 5/13/09 6:20 am - FL
My surgeon uses the kind that hook in the back too, and I can't hook it myself. I can pull the arms up and leave it unhooked though, and that seems fine... I get the same compression either way!

I've also heard of using the "arm warmer" sleeves that cyclists wear with sleeveless jerseys. I may get some of those when this hooking-unhooking thing gets too annoying!
Vist my weblog at www.megameggs.wordpress.com

Most Active