Newbie Needs Advice

homerz1
on 5/13/09 11:57 pm
I had WLS in July 2008 and have reached my goal of losing 115 within the last month.  I'm very happy with my weightloss but the saggy skin is so depressing!  I am starting to think about plastic surgery but don't where to start.  How soon after reaching goal do you recommend having plastic surgery?  Do I pursue it now or wait a few months or longer?  My arms and breasts are the worst but I'm worried about the scarring....and my droopy tummy and thighs are bad too.  I just don't know what to think or where to start...I've worked so hard but in some ways my body looks worse with all this skin! Advice, please!!
Redhaired
on 5/14/09 12:41 am - Mouseville, FL
 While it is probably too early for plastic surgery, it is not too early to start a paper trail on the issues the skin may be causing, particularly if you think your insurance will cover some of your plastics.  It is also probably not to early to start getting consults on what may be needed and the results you might expect.

Red

Susan H.
on 5/14/09 3:30 am
Recommended to me was to wait 2 years and I am glad I did.  My body changed alot during that time and to have done the tummy tuck and breast lift would have not resulted in what I wanted.  It is hard to live with but have faith that you will be better off to wait.
miniplk
on 5/14/09 5:06 am - Davie, FL
Hi and Congratulations on reaching your goal!

It is always best to wait until your weight has been stable for a few months before having plastic surgery; but this is the perfect time to start investigating. I spent a year learning about procedures and visiting many surgeons until I found the right one for me. Keep working out to improve you muscle tone while you do your research.

I used Dr. Bernard Shuster for all my procedures. You can check out his website at www.drshuster.net  to see many before & afters on bariatric patients. Also check out his references on the OH website.

He does an amazing job and he is an amazing person. It is very refreshing to find a skilled surgeon who is a genuinely nice human being. Whether you use him for surgery or not, you owe it to yourself to go for a consult. His consults for bariatric patients is complimentary. He is honest and will give you lots of guidance before you begin.  He actually does online consults for out of town patients as well.

Good luck on your journey. This is all part of the ride.
Paula

RNY 2000

Renee H.
on 5/14/09 5:13 am - Bronx, NY

Only a year out is kinda soon. You should IDEALLY wait until your weight stabilizes for a while for the best possible result. You should do your research now, though. Researching different types of surgeries and techniques, finding out about the plastic surgeons in your area, finding out what your insurance carrier's policy is on "reconstructive surgery following massive weight loss", etc. You may want to begin seeing your doctor, dermatologist, chiropractor, GYN to document any rashes, skin break down, recurring yeast infections, neck or back pain, etc. If you plan to obtain insurance approval, this will be crucial for your process. Deciding which area to correct first can be difficult but patience and realism is totally needed before you start getting any work done. This site is a great source of information, personal experiences and sometimes even entertainment. Start the process now and hopefully by the time you're ready, you will have what you need to make the process that much easier. All the best to you.

Renee H. aka "Queen Nae"
RNY - 8/04 - Alfons Pomp - NYC
LBL - 4/07 - Thomas P. Sterry - NYC
Revision to anchor cut - 12/07 - Thomas P. Sterry - NYC
UBL w/brachio - 2/09 - Thomas P. Sterry - NYC

MSHAMO
on 5/14/09 10:26 am - AUBURN HILLS, MI
I knew before I had my VSG that I would NEED a TT, not just WANT one!! My PS told me that my insurance co. would pay for a panni, so that was my goal from the beginning. I also had an idea that the company I work for was in trouble, so that meant if I lost my job, I would also lose my insurance. I had my TT and lost my job shortly thereafter. Sure glad I had my surgery for a couple of reasons; it was paid for and I look so much better. Lots of luck, Nancy
High/VSG/Surgeon Goal/My Goal/Current 257/242/170/155/141  I love my sleeve!
5' 3.5"    Plastic Surgeon: Dr. Raymond Hajjar, Bingham Farms, MI   Extended TT, muscle repair, lipo & hernia repair 2/25/09  Direct neck lift and muscle repair  4/14/09  Short scar lower face lift, more neck work and lower bleph 9/15/09
Most Active