abdominoplasty/breast lift prior to having children?

cantwait145
on 5/13/09 4:27 am
Hi everyone I am a 26 year old who had RNY in july 08.  I am currently down 97 lbs. and have about 15 more to go before I am at goal.  My 2 biggest problems are my abdominal area and my breasts.  My surgeon told me I could start looking into reconstructive surgery now.  However my question is has anyone had a abdominoplasty and/or breast lift prior to having children?  I do not have any children now however would like to have them in about 5 years or so.  I can't imagine having to wait a good 6-7 years of having my body look like this.  I've never worn a bikini and even though this summer is out of the question, theres always next summer!!! However am I foolish to not wait until after pregnancies?  Does the skin really stretch out that much after pregnancies?  Any advice would help. 

THANKS!!!
DrL
on 5/13/09 6:14 am - Houston, TX

I've worked on a number of young women who plan on pregnancy in the future.  Pregnancy and the normal associated weight gain will undo the results to some degree.  Most patients will not return to their pre-PS condition though.

Part of the decision to move ahead depends on the amount of skin you currently have, and as you indicate, a LOT of the decision will be based on your desire to do fun stuff like go to the beach, wear a bikini, etc.

John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
Danielle H.
on 5/14/09 10:38 am - Atlanta, GA
I'm 34 no kids and plan on them, but not in the scope soon...I opted for the full anchor cut and am perfectly glad that I did.  Discussed the same issues with my PS and he told me some people bounce back faster than without TT.  Its an issue of how much weight you gain and most OB's will tell you 15-30 lbs is plenty for a child to be healthy.  It will change it some I'm sure, but in the mean time, enjoy it!  I am!

High Weight 260, Surgery Weight 218,  Lowest Weight 156, CURRENT WEIGHT 177, Goal Weight 140

Breast Lift /Back Lipo 10/2008
LBL (Belt Lipectomy with Fluer de lis cut TT) 2/27/09
www.advancedobesitysurgery.com (Dr. Dennis Smith)
www.gaplasticsurgery.com (Dr. Sheldon Lincenberg)

WendieS
on 5/15/09 1:32 am - Birmingham, AL
Hi!
I had a baby last July and a TT 5 years ago when I was at goal. I gained about 30 lbs ( i think, stopped watching so closely because it made me nuts)while preggo. My stomach didnt get as big as it had in previous pregnancies and was a bit uncomfortable because it was tight. I still have about 10 lbs to lose but my stomach is again flat, not as tight, but flat. I got a few new stretch marks but they are little horizontal ones versus the giant vertical ones I got with previous pregnancies.
If you need a TT to remove hangy floppy  skin I would go for it. I wore a bikini 2 weeks ago at the beach and looked good, at least the belly did :) the thighs are another story, hehe.
I would absolutely go for it. Having a TT is the best thing I ever did for me !

Quade born July 6!!!! 
easter09040-1.jpg picture by wendiesmi

Most Active