Gall Bladder TT combo?

Emily_Rose
on 5/12/09 10:32 am - Fort Worth, TX
I may have to have my gall bladder out and a while back my Dr mentioned that some are able to get part of their TT coverd if they combine the proceedure with another like a hernia.  I did not ask today but has anyone done this with gall bladder?  I know that is a little higher but I am looking for any way to save.
(deactivated member)
on 5/12/09 10:30 pm - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Not exactly the same but I had my gall bladder removed at the same time as a full hysterectomy (incisional hysto).  The gall bladder was done laparoscopically and was a piece of cake for me........didn't impact the bigger part of my surgery at all.   
Emily_Rose
on 5/12/09 10:35 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Oh well I can only ask him when I go back next week.  Like I said he had mentioned that some times they clould slip the TT in when the did another surgery.  I hope he says we can.  I am still 20 lbs to goal but i think it would be OK.  I might not have washboard abs but that would be OK.
jillianD
on 5/13/09 12:20 am - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
My surgeon said no, that he wouldn't combine a dirty surgery ( gall bladder)  with a clean one. ( plastics )  He said it really increased the risk of infection.
Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

Emily_Rose
on 5/13/09 7:48 am - Fort Worth, TX
Why is the gall bladder considered dirty?  Sorry that is confusing to me :)
DrL
on 5/13/09 1:37 pm - Houston, TX
The two could be combined.  I'm assuming you do not suffer from cholecystitis now (you'd be in the hospital !) and probably won't have an infected gallbladder at the time of surgery, so the infection risk is really low.

The deal-breaker would be if they have to convert your gallbadder procedure from laparoscopic to open, your PS will likely nix the TT.

I have performed many TTs along with hysterectomy, where a "dirty" organ (i.e. one exposed to the outside world and therfore containing germs) is brought through the same incision as the TT with no infections.

The benefit for you is one down time, one time off work, and one exposure to anesthesia plus the cost savings.
John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
Emily_Rose
on 5/19/09 11:36 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Thanks a lot for the info.  I am going to call around to see if any plastic Dr around here can do it.  I dont have any infection just stones and the bile Duct is still open (at least that is how i think they said it.) 
Most Active